Team-BHP - Rumour: Hero MotoCorp working on updated Karizma R
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Rumour: Hero MotoCorp working on updated Karizma R (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/164571-rumour-hero-motocorp-working-updated-karizma-r.html)

Hero MotoCorp has had to put off the launch of its new HX250R motorcycle by at least one quarter due to Erik Buell Racing (EBR), its American technical partner, declaring bankruptcy. To try and keep enthusiast interested in its products, the company has shifted its focus back to its old flagship, the Karizma.

Rumour: Hero MotoCorp working on updated Karizma R-karizmanew17.jpg

Media reports suggest that Hero has been conducting surveys through its dealers to know if customers would like to have the old Karizma R back. Based on this feedback, the company has started working on a refreshed version of the Karizma R, which will be launched later this year.

The current Karizma's styling has not gone down too well with the public. Additionally, newer and more modern products from rival companies, have seen the bike's sales drop drastically. On the refreshed Karizma, Hero is expected to make some cosmetic changes to make the bike look aesthetically appealing. The engine and transmission could also be given a tweak to deliver improved performance.

Hero used to sell about 3,000 units of the Karizma every month, before the introduction of the current model in 2013. At present, the bike's sales figures are varying between 10 and 507 per month.

Source: Motorbeam

Not surprised that the current version sells poorly - especially when the competition has been heating up.

I still have my 2007 Karizma R and I still feel the design has aged well. Instead, Hero launched the ZMR which had that hideous front fairing (looked more like a cheap mod) and later the overly EBR-ified version which does not win any beauty contests.

Bring back the Karizma R with better rubber, more power (of course) and better headlamps (not a deal breaker to me, personally) :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya (Post 3721844)
The current Karizma's styling has not gone down too well with the public.

The Current Karizma always carried the image of an incomplete and ugly duckling to me personally. I'm currently looking for a commuter and seriously miss/need the age old Karizma R(not the ZMR) again in market without over-killing make over in the name of an upgradeplease:.

The current generation Karizma looks like this to me. No wonder no one wants to buy it anymore.

God, Please don't let HH touch the Karizma R cosmetically. They will go to town with it ala the current crop of hideous looking ones. I was in fact smitten by the Karizma R and wanted to get a white one. This happened a long time after I swore never to buy a HH product after I did the dumbest thing by buying an HH Ambition in place of a RX135 :Frustrati. 'kitna deti hai' mentality took over and the worst part was the ambition never returned a mileage more than 33kmpl.
The sales rep informed me that the old Karizma R had been withdrawn and the new one is expected soon. He asked me to leave my phone number with him so that he can call once the new model arrives. He did call me but the ads on TV made me go :Shockked:. I killed my desire for a Karizma R and got myself a used RX135.

Having spent quite sometime on the market waiting for Honda to launch its updated CBR250R, I am quite sold on the idea of buying the refreshed (old) Karizma R. Come to think of it - decent performance, good touring abilities, very good reliability almost the same fuel efficiency. Most importantly, all these for about 60% of the CBR's cost!

The current bike definitely does not look smart or inviting to buy, but if the old Karizma R gets launched with a fatter rear tyre, slightly updated and modern looking plastic parts will be a good option.

The body graphics that came up in 2011 did not do justice to the bike, it looked really outdated, then the fairings and new headlamps which were introduced spoiled the looks further. HH have to make the tank look muscular, get wider tyres and mono suspension and lower the rear seat. The front visor can be redesigned or even the old visor will do, the current one has no continuity with the bike at all and looks like after market fitment.

I'd never realised that the Karizma has so many fans until I read this thread - A good read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3722661)
I'd never realised that the Karizma has so many fans .

GTO,

Karizma was launched when there was a dearth of bikes in the 'Power Segment'. It is a well balanced machine with decent stability, decent pick-up/power and more importantly the ability to cruise at 90 Kays all day long with a never tiring engine with decent tank distance.

Was a fan of Karizma myself but since my RD was still good never ventured into buying one.

It is quite evident that after the success of the first version, there has been a continued downfall for the newer version in terms of sales and following. Hero has just lost the plot with premium motorcycles since Hondas departure and i wouldnt dare compare the CBR250R with any versions of Hero motorcycles.

After EBR, Hero should ideally be looking at a tie up with a decent international motorcycle brand almost immediately if they have any importance for the ever so developing premium motorcycle segment in India.

TVS-BMW & Bajaj-KTM-Kawasaki are on track and ready to take on any and every manufacturer with their current and upcoming offerings.

Too little too late Hero.

The old Karizma still attracts eyeballs. The styling is that of the Vento, timeless and elegant.

The present Karizma also attracts eyeballs, but for all the wrong reasons.

Mating the engine of the new Karizma and borrowing on the design of the old Karizma is sure to be a winner for Hero. Here's my wishlist keeping in mind the old Karizma:

1) Fatter tyres
2) 17 inch tyres. Why? 17 inch tyres have a lot more options to choose from compared to 18 inch tyres
3) Fuel injection
4) Projector headlamps
5) Better plastics
6) Sharper tail

All Hero has to do is look at the competition. They will know what elements of the Karizma needs updating.

Huge OT: My 1000th post! lol:

The cbr250r has all the qualities that a ZMA fan is looking for and yet has very few fans. The decline started with the full faired ZMR. Maybe Honda should consider a half faired 250.

The Pulsar AS200 might be onto something.

Quote:

The current Karizma's styling has not gone down too well with the public.

The designers at Hero MotorCorp need to be :deadhorse

How on earth did they think that after spoiling a well-aged, well-respected mature bike being ruined so badly?! What were they smoking when that silly design was approved?!

I have compared the New Karizma R with the one I own. Sorry for the picture quality as I have taken pictures from Google Images.

Look at a small comparison I have done here to show how drastic and ugly the changes were to be digestible:

Front View:
Rumour: Hero MotoCorp working on updated Karizma R-1.-fronthorz.jpg

Rear View:
Rumour: Hero MotoCorp working on updated Karizma R-2.-rear.jpg

Side View:
Rumour: Hero MotoCorp working on updated Karizma R-3.-sidehorz.jpg

Front 3-quarters:
Rumour: Hero MotoCorp working on updated Karizma R-4.-front-3-quartershorz.jpg

Rear 3-quarters:
Rumour: Hero MotoCorp working on updated Karizma R-5.-rear-3-quartershorz.jpg

One could NOT get their eyes off the older Karizma R and with engine
specifications being on lower side as compared to competition, this bike had its own fan following and customer base that were accumulated from time long. Now that the update was launched by Hero Motors, they base also vanished in thin air!

Quote:

Hero used to sell about 3,000 units of the Karizma every month, before the introduction of the current model in 2013. At present, the bike's sales figures are varying between 10 and 507 per month.

lol:

That's bound to happen isn't it?! I feel sad for the ones who are really buying it. Either it is selling because of the name Karizma OR the buyers have no taste!

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3724336)
The designers at Hero MotorCorp need to be :deadhorse

How on earth did they think that after spoiling a well-aged, well-respected mature bike being ruined so badly?! What were they smoking when that silly design was approved?!

Seriously. The original Karizma really had youngsters drooling over it. It was my favourite Indian bike at one time. I don't know who came up with the idea of destroying the design. Instead, they could have given the engine more power and torque and gone for a modern monoshock rear suspension to keep the bike relevant in the market. The main reason the Karizma's sales fell was its outdated mechanicals. Lower capacity bikes can outrun it today. :mad:

Ask me!

I was one of the millions of teenagers who was drooling over the Red Karizma which was shown circa May-June 2003. Realised my dream of owning it in 2005 and still have the oldie with me till date. Fuss free ownership once I learned DIY servicing.

The only grouse I have with this bike is its bad quality of fairing joints(nukke in delhispeak :D). These used to break very easily in a simple fall and the fairing used to rattle all over necessitating replacement. I only wish all these years that hero honda could have launched the Karizma in a Naked avatar complete with a round headlamp and fuel injection(not that there is a problem with the carb versions).