Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 10:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield UCE500: EFI to Carburettor Conversion

Well said ArizonaJim.
Couldn't have agreed more.

Indeed, "if the fuel injection system is working as it should", why complicate one's life unnecessarily
Old 18th June 2015, 11:29   #32
BHPian

DIY EFI kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Indeed, "if the fuel injection system is working as it should", why complicate one's life unnecessarily
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Seriously, if the fuel injection system is working as it should, pouring a little fuel injection cleaner into the fuel tank every so often to keep the injector clean is easily done by the average owner and there will be no need to fiddle with the various jets and adjustment screws and this is coming from a man who was fussing with carburetors as far back as 1955.
If you are all so tempted to keep the EFI as it is, but still be on your own you have these stuff to try. You can keep it open loop or weld a bung in your bend pipe and have a narrow band Lambda sensor from any car and keep going.

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/sma...injection_kit/

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...2ffac5305bed3f

Only ECU should also be available. They come with warranty & there are forums which discuss the wiring, tuning & calibration on many cars & bikes. The tuning tools are for free. All you need is a friend (I would be glad to do that ) to ride your bull while you calibrate the ECU with your laptop.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 13:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
If you are all so tempted to keep the EFI as it is, but still be on your own you have these stuff to try. You can keep it open loop or weld a bung in your bend pipe and have a narrow band Lambda sensor from any car and keep going.

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/sma...injection_kit/

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...2ffac5305bed3f

Only ECU should also be available. They come with warranty & there are forums which discuss the wiring, tuning & calibration on many cars & bikes. The tuning tools are for free. All you need is a friend (I would be glad to do that ) to ride your bull while you calibrate the ECU with your laptop.
Interesting links !
I might be tempted to complicate my life a bit while wifey & kids are away (and I manage to find both time & $$ to burn)
Old 18th June 2015, 13:19   #34
BHPian

I have plans to switch to a VM carb. What would be the best and available in market?
Old 18th June 2015, 13:59   #35
BHPian

I know for sure that you get after market piggy back ecu's for the Bullet's! Why not give that a shot!
Old 18th June 2015, 14:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
I have plans to switch to a VM carb. What would be the best and available in market?
Are you sure you want to get back to stone-age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I know for sure that you get after market piggy back ecu's for the Bullet's! Why not give that a shot!
Piggyback ECUs depend on the existing ECU for the brains. These are capable of only scaling the inputs & outputs of the OE ECU. It will help when the OE ECU is performing well and you want something over and above the current performance levels.
My choice would be to start with a blank sheet, i.e a fully new ECU where I know what is going on inside. Cost-wise might end up at the same place. For DIY enthusiasts this would be joy & pleasure.
Old 18th June 2015, 14:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Piggyback ECUs depend on the existing ECU for the brains. These are capable of only scaling the inputs & outputs of the OE ECU. It will help when the OE ECU is performing well and you want something over and above the current performance levels.
My choice would be to start with a blank sheet, i.e a fully new ECU where I know what is going on inside. Cost-wise might end up at the same place. For DIY enthusiasts this would be joy & pleasure.
Not really,what I meant was something like a piggyback that gives you the full option of playing with the fuelling and ignition and leaves the smaller things like lights, etc to be handled by the stock ecu!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 18th June 2015 at 14:13.
Old 18th June 2015, 14:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But in the bullet you swap out the Keihin ECU with that from the RD.So that means you get a different ECU,right? I think a guy called Chinmay Dangre from Pune does such DIY stuff.
Old 18th June 2015, 15:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
But in the bullet you swap out the Keihin ECU with that from the RD.So that means you get a different ECU,right? I think a guy called Chinmay Dangre from Pune does such DIY stuff.
By "RD", I hope you mean Race Dyanmics, right? If yes, swapping the stock to RD is DIY 2 min stuff!
Old 18th June 2015, 16:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
By "RD", I hope you mean Race Dyanmics, right? If yes, swapping the stock to RD is DIY 2 min stuff!
Yes,Race Dynamics. Regarding the guy that I had mentioned,he plays around with the stock ECU to get the desired results,thats what I have heard. Sorry didn't mention that clearly.
Old 18th June 2015, 19:47   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Is stone-age more wild and fun?

I also ride the Cast Iron 500 and it's a hoot!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2015 at 21:16. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old 21st June 2015, 21:42   #42
BHPian

Hi,
This is an interesting thread! I am under process of up-grading from BS26 to BS32 in my Thunderbird AVL 2007 model. I am a newbie to carb stuff so I am a little bit stuck and have some queries as follows:

- The BS26 carb (stock AVL carb) has a 26 mm inner diameter and the intake manifold of my bike also has a 26 mm inner diameter. Hence, if i install the 32 mm carb, then the intake manifold will still have a 26 mm diameter. So will it make any difference in performance? Will I be able to mount it successfully? How do I manage the difference in these 2 diameters?

- Second thing is, many members told me that BS32 will require up jetting. What exactly does it mean? Do i need to install jets with bigger diameter or do i need to drill hole in the stock ones? If i need to install bigger jets then where will i get those from?

A bit of detailed guidance required please. Thank you!
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:05   #43
BHPian

Good job done on the conversion part. What I failed to understand is the sole reason of this conversion so it will be great for my understanding if you can elaborate a little bit as I too have plans to buy a Thunderbird 500 very soon.
amit_shimla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Commenced work on converting my UCE500 Classic from EFI to a carburettor based set-up.
Fantastic display of your effort.
Absolutely commendable.

I have two Qs-
1. Can you share indicative prices of the parts (more importantly the carb, flange etc) as a part of your ready-reckoner here
2. My 500 gives me a consistent average of 27-29Kmpl- which I think is pathetic when my FatBoy gives me 22 on the highway. And I ride the 500 very gently... Can you share the expected and eventual actual average on the road with us?

Thanks.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
I have two Qs-
1. Can you share indicative prices of the parts (more importantly the carb, flange etc) as a part of your ready-reckoner here
Per my estimates, the total cost of conversion should be less than 4K INR with the carb alone contributing around 2.7K INR towards total costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
2. My 500 gives me a consistent average of 27-29Kmpl- which I think is pathetic when my FatBoy gives me 22 on the highway. And I ride the 500 very gently... Can you share the expected and eventual actual average on the road with us?
To be honest, I haven't yet done any full-tank to full-tank based comparison. But having seen the condition of the spark plugs, I am inclined to believe that the bike is no longer running rich and should be "reasonably" economical to run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks