Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 23:37   #1
BHPian

Chennai Riders stripped to underpants in Police Station

Chennai Riders Stripped To Underpants In Police Station

http://www.motoroids.com/news/chenna...he-full-story/

https://www.facebook.com/MadrasRidersClub

On Sunday (14 June 2015), the riders from the Madras Riders Club, a biker group from Chennai were apprehended by the Mahabalipuram Police. According to the police, the riders were stopped for overspeeding, for which the former lacked any conclusive evidence. Despite that, the riders were charged Rs. 300 as fine for allegedly overspeeding. When confronted for proof about their allegations, the cops supposedly threatened the young riders of dire consequences if they asked more questions, and subsequently took them to a nearby police station.

Motoroids spoke to one of the riders and he quoted, “We were asked to pay the overspeeding fine at the scene and then the police took us to the station. Once there, the cops asked us questions regarding the colour of our clothes, shoes, underpants etc. We were then asked to remove our clothes to show them the colour of our underpants.”

According to some key individuals involved with the incident, a couple of crashes involving bikers in the recent past on the East Coast Road (ECR) in Chennai, triggered an order from the Deputy Commissioner of Police to stop all biking activities on that piece of tarmac. Though the DCP likely meant well, the police started applying the directive as a blanket rule for any and everyone on a motorcycle, especially those of the faster variety, or superbikes.

A key source told us that the Club organises track days for its members.

The police say that they were only following the Criminal Procedure Code (CRPC), though Human rights activists state that the CRPC does not mention anything about checking the colour of a person’s underpants. One of the activists went on to say, “The police have to note down moles and scars that are visible. But there is no need to make a person strip.” One of the riders we spoke to, told us that they were asked to strip within full view of those present in and around the police station. Though the cops have the right to detain those who venture onto the wrong side of law, the law itself does not grant them the right to strip anyone. The police were tasked to stop any/all biking activity on the ECR, but there was no mention of detaining bikers from riding their motorcycle and none demanding pressing of unproven (as yet) charges against them.

According to one of the riders we contacted, they weren’t even allowed basic necessities such as food or water during the nine hours they spent there. In the meantime, some of the riders were accused with more invalidated charges on counts of rash driving and then some. Later, one of the parents of a rider arrived at the police station with a lawyer in tow. After much talk, the riders were let go. However, before letting them off, a few of them had to pay Rs. 1,200 as fine at the station itself, whilst some others went to the Court to pay the same.

Though we understand that the police have the right to apprehend motorists against whom they have factual evidence. It is rather unfortunate that sometimes, the law gets misused by the very ones who are supposed to uphold it. In this case, the Mahabalipuram Police seems to have decided to not just play judge, but also legislators by creating their own law and meting out a unique punishment to the offenders.

After this unfortunate incident, certain members of the Madras Riders Club, in conjunction with other biking groups in Chennai, are thinking of forming an association. Once formed, the members would then decide on how to take this matter further.
rubicon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 09:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai Riders stripped to underpants in Police Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Since social media is an open forum and anyone can post anything lets not 'yet' declare the authorities at fault.

Having said that, the first version that came out didn't have the under pants incident, however that's unfortunate.

Now I am a biker, I have been reckless at one point in my life like most, and finally learned to respect fellow motorists and have become responsible while using a public space, such as a road.

If anyone one has been to the ECR they know, it is close to 80 KMs of pristine tarmac, with very slight turns or speed breakers. This is one road which witnesses hooligans every day and every hour. Its unfortunate to paint all the bikers with one brush and my intention is also otherwise. When a large, greater than 5 group of bikers decide to have a outing, its better to ensure a proper clearance certificate is obtained. Super bikes especially triggers a lot of road racing from lesser fortunate riders on economical Indian bikes which often ends up in horrible catastrophe.

Till few years ago I used to stay in Delhi and was very close to Bangala Sahib Gurudwara, which attracted a lot of Religious Sardars for the early sunday morning darshan and Kar Seva. Initially it was very nice to see Families visiting the Gurudwara, every Sunday. However soon some kids started coming in their loud bikes and the tranquillity of the night was lost and pious gurbani was not to be heard anymore. The cops stood like jokers, but one fine day they decided to act and there was a life lost due to police firing.

I am in for a large group of guys going for rides, but its better to get necessary police clearance beforehand to avoid such incidents.

Pramod
Old 19th June 2015, 11:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its scary that a deputy commisioner has the power to stop "biking activity", a bike owner has a right to use the road and ECR is just another road. I don't know who or what gave the police authority to prevent someone using a common road, isn't this a violation of among a lot of other things, the right to free movement.

Problem is, there are people who will support such stupidity on the grounds of "discipline".
Old 19th June 2015, 11:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Thread title, while trying to be catchy has become Times of Indiaesque.
As sometimes these tricks backfire, the title has completely taken the seriousness from the topic discussed.
Can somebody tell as to how to check the bikers especially with high-end bikes.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 12:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am not supporting the action taken by police but many times i have seen high end bikes being ridden very fast and rashly in this stretch, generally in groups. But police should have been more strict in checking DUI. IMO that is one of the main reason of fatalities on ECR. You should see the way cabs and buses overtake on this 2 lane road but no one is there to fine them .
Old 19th June 2015, 13:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Its scary that a deputy commisioner has the power to stop "biking activity", a bike owner has a right to use the road and ECR is just another road. I don't know who or what gave the police authority to prevent someone using a common road, isn't this a violation of among a lot of other things, the right to free movement.

Problem is, there are people who will support such stupidity on the grounds of "discipline".
While in general your statement is right, I have some reservation. No one stops from "using" the road for the intended purpose. But if there is race, or tracks happening on a public road "without permission and necessary precautions" then its a different story.

I think, the color of under pant story can be clarified only by a competent police officer. I have seen such questions been posted and registered by police. We should look back to the rules - mostly British times - and make them suitable these days. Do we have these rule books for public view? May be..
Old 19th June 2015, 13:21   #7
BHPian

I read about it in TOI a few days back and shook my head in disgust. I have only one aspect where I would appreciate advise from knowledgable folks on this forum.

In my experience riding & driving in Commonwealth countries most traffic offences, with the exception of two - DUI and causing grievous harm, are treated as civil law offences and not criminal law offences. Therefore offences such as braking the speed limit or jumping a red light etc do not require visits to the police station or a court of law and can be settled on the spot by paying the compounding fine.

What are the equivalent laws in our country? Is every traffic offence a criminal offence and which enforcement agencies specifically have the right to decide so?

Are the enforcement officers required by law to have a speed gun printout before charging anyone for speeding or they can charge anyone according to their 'gut feel' of a speedy ride-by?
Old 19th June 2015, 15:06   #8
BHPian

I was involved in an accident a few months back and an FIR was filed by the other party and I was the accused. The primary mistake was mine. At the police station the writer was looking at me from head to toe which made me wonder. Then he explained to me that they have to write down the details of what I was wearing when I go to or am taken to the police station including the undergarment color. They are supposed to have collected and then returned them back to me. I had to sign that off to in the register. I didn't dare to ask what I was supposed to wear when I supposedly had given them my clothes.
It seems to be one of the archaic rules of the pre independence time that is still unchanged. Another act I can think of is the Indian Boilers Act 1923.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 18:33   #9
BHPian

Re: Chennai Riders stripped to underpants in Police Station

I live in Chennai and its really sad to see this kind of brutality. In the last several years that stretch of ECR road has gone through tremendous upgrades with really wide roads (4-6 lane expansion happing as we speak) its also a very scenic road as you can imagine being next to the sea.

Its absurd to see such treatment in a modern society. Poor kids, imagine what would be going thru there minds being stripped in a jail!!. stuff like this could affect people for years. We need to raise a collective voice and this should be made a big issue going all the way to Amma!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks