Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 05:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jay Leno rides a Royal Enfield Twin Cylinder built by Aniket Vardhan

Wanted to spread the news of a Indian architect who hand built a Twin cylinder engine for Royal enfield. To add to the glory and pain he went through he had this bike on Jay Lenos Garage!

Quote:
This episode is for all the bike builders and craftsmen out there.
Abhi Eswarappa, founder of Bike-urious.com, stops by the garage to introduce Jay to his buddy, master builder and fabricator Aniket Vardhan who hand carved wood casting molds to create his powerful Musket V-Twin Royal Enfield motorcycles.

Aniket has a website: http://www.musketvtwin.com/

Royal Enfield and specially Sid Lal does need to check this out.

Also do check out this website created for motorcycles which was where Jay found him.
http://www.bike-urious.com/
maddy42 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 09:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Jay Leno rides a Royal Enfield Twin Cylinder built by Aniket Vardhan

I wonder why RE couldn't team up with Aniket and bring out a twin based on the UCE.
I remember watching his Musket 700 video on YouTube years ago and how it looked like a factory built bike and here is RE still offering only singles.

Good episode of Jay Lenos garage .
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 10:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Wanted to spread the news of a Indian architect who hand built a Twin cylinder engine for Royal enfield. To add to the glory and pain he went through he had this bike on Jay Lenos Garage!

Royal Enfield and specially Sid Lal does need to check this out.

Also do check out this website created for motorcycles which was where Jay found him.
http://www.bike-urious.com/
What a beautiful video!! Thanks for sharing. It's national shame that this young man could build the twin in America, had he been in India he would be running around in circles trying to get licences, permissions, road legality and what not from the moronic babus.
As for Sid Lal, he is sitting pretty selling rust buckets for big bucks, with a waiting period to boot, why will he care? And I say this as an existing TB 500 owner
apachelongbow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 10:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
As for Sid Lal, he is sitting pretty selling rust buckets for big bucks, with a waiting period to boot, why will he care? And I say this as an existing TB 500 owner
I see the honeymoon is over.

A I told you so would be redundant for the overwhelming weight of inevitability. You would doubtless recall our discussions on the same many months prior.

On topic, Aniket's feat HAS been repeated right here in India by a close friend of mine in Mumbai, Anand (Andy to most).

His bike (still rough) was showcased at the first IBW. And was ridden there as I recall from Mumbai, so no garage queen exotic.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th July 2015 at 10:59.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 11:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I see the honeymoon is over.

A I told you so would be redundant for the overwhelming weight of inevitability. You would doubtless recall our discussions on the same many months prior.

On topic, Aniket's feat HAS been repeated right here in India by a close friend of mine in Mumbai, Anand (Andy to most).

His bike (still rough) was showcased at the first IBW. And was ridden there as I recall from Mumbai, so no garage queen exotic.
I am aware of Andy's bike, but he seems to be facing the issues from our esteemed authorities, I believe he wants to start manufacturing engines and frames, on his own. Doc, I agree on the quality control part, in RE that department exist only on paper. However to their credit, the UCE engine is a gem, no problems so far, not even a spec of an oil leak, so they have succeeded there, however they forgot about the rest of the bike, especially poor rubber components and rust proofing the metal
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 11:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am aware of Andy's bike, but he seems to be facing the issues from our esteemed authorities, I believe he wants to start manufacturing engines and frames, on his own. Doc, I agree on the quality control part, in RE that department exist only on paper. However to their credit, the UCE engine is a gem, no problems so far, not even a spec of an oil leak, so they have succeeded there, however they forgot about the rest of the bike, especially poor rubber components and rust proofing the metal
I am happy for you that you have a problem free UCE engine.

The beauty of a gem, like most pretty things, is in the eyes of the beholder.

Yup, Andy got a taste of the ennui at RE, big time.

P.S. As with ALL their engines, be it the CI standard, the lean burn AVL or the UCE, RE really had nothing to do with any of them, so am not sure your "to their credit" charity really goes to the right recipient. I hasten to add, RE India, the one headquartered in Chennai. Not the one that started off in Redditch.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th July 2015 at 11:28. Reason: Please avoid mention of alcohol directly or otherwise. Thanks!
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 17:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jay Leno rides a Royal Enfield Twin Cylinder built by Aniket Vardhan

I remember seeing this video quite a while back:

It was around the time I was saving up to buy my Thunderbird. At the time, I used to see a lot of hate for the UCE and it wasn't until I saw the video below that I understood why:

The grunge factor of the sonorous cast-iron is hard to beat. The Musket twin is a droolworthy job and I really hope Royal Enfield cooks up a good twin in the next 2 years.

Last edited by Tushar : 8th July 2015 at 17:43.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 17:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nothing else sounds like a cast iron Bullet. Absolutely. And this one sounds lovely.
Old 8th July 2015, 18:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
The grunge factor of the sonorous cast-iron is hard to beat. The Musket twin is a droolworthy job and I really hope Royal Enfield cooks up a good twin in the next 2 years.
I do not like bullets but the second video made some fabulous sounds. Kudos to Aniket, I hope he succeeds further!
Old 9th July 2015, 02:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a beautiful video!! Thanks for sharing. It's national shame that this young man could build the twin in America, had he been in India he would be running around in circles trying to get licences, permissions, road legality and what not from the moronic babus.

Well said. The kind of stuff a man in a garage can do here is just tremendous. No cutting corners and having jugaad. The most surprising part was the amount of knowledge he had on the machine!

Surprised he got to start it in one kick. On a side note i do not understand what is stopping Sid Lal from launching something similar rather than getting on the Hero bandawagon and launching sticker jobs like splendor, splendor +, splendor supreme, maharaja splendor!

Also whenever people in the media praise jugaad my blood boils. Thats not what you should be known for! Quality matters!

Maddy
Old 9th July 2015, 10:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I love the way he talks about the bike, really passionate guy :-)

Spotted this couple of year back in chennai, unfortunately owner was not around, really wanted to listen the exhaust note.

Jay Leno rides a Royal Enfield Twin Cylinder built by Aniket Vardhan-img_0177.jpg
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I love the way he talks about the bike, really passionate guy :-)

Spotted this couple of year back in chennai, unfortunately owner was not around, really wanted to listen the exhaust note.

Attachment 1390369
If I'm not mistaken, that's the Carberry V-twin.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, that's the Carberry V-twin.
Yes, it is.
See:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/52821-bullet-lovers-rejoice-someone-else-built-enfield-v-twin-2.html
Old 9th July 2015, 11:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Carberry built one first. Aniket's came later?
Old 9th July 2015, 11:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Carberry built one first. Aniket's came later?
Yes. I am guessing around 3 years between the two.
But I feel Aniket's is a clean and factory like end product compared to the Carberry. The Carberry actually looks like a garage job.

I think the bike in the picture above would have been procured by RE for R&D years ago.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks