Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 11:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

Allahabad: No bike delivery without registration plates

The Allahabad police and RTO have appealed to all two-wheeler dealerships instructing them to provide registration numbers for vehicles if they are to be driven out of the showroom. The bike has to have registration plates at both ends. If the vehicle does not comply with these norms, it could be seized by the authorities. The police is also likely to take action against erring dealers.

The RTO has asked dealers to enroll or unload the details of the owner on the booking/purchase date. The registration number for the vehicle would be allotted within 72 hours.

According to the police, this step has been taken in an attempt to reduce the number of crimes such as auto lifting and chain and purse snatching. Facts and figures suggest that bikes with high performance are used for chain and purse snatching among other offences. Bikes without registration plates are often used.

Police records indicate that 37 cases of chain snatching and 480 cases of auto lifting were registered in the past seven months. The police seized two bikes which were used in crime. Both were being used without registration numbers for the last one year.

Source: Times of India
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 12:19   #2
BANNED

re: Allahabad: No bike delivery without registration plates

I think such rule already exists in Chennai. No showroom allows owners to roll out vehicles (both 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers) without registration. Atleast 4 wheelers have an option of Temporary registration and I don't think 2 wheelers have such option at all.

When we bought a TVS Wego for my wife 4 months back, the dealer plainly refused to deliver the vehicle without having registration number inspite of us requesting to get the vehicle delivered immediately citing the auspicious day factor. Finally we just got the formal delivery ceremony done - roll the scooter out of showroom after crushing lemon and park it again.

Last edited by Amarkarthi : 26th August 2015 at 12:23.
Amarkarthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 12:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Allahabad: No bike delivery without registration plates

I bought an Activa a few months back and registration no was provided by the dealer only after 15 days of use.

Initially he said that they will get it done in 2 days time but they kept delaying it. Bike had an "applied for" sticker on the no plates.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2015 at 11:13. Reason: Language
Rahulkool is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th August 2015, 12:57   #4
BHPian

Whats to prevent people from removing the plate after taking delivery? Cops need to change the way they approach this...
killjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 14:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Whats to prevent people from removing the plate after taking delivery? Cops need to change the way they approach this...
Do these people in Allahabad, that the article refers to, not know how to operate a screw driver? What useless laws and directives!
Old 26th August 2015, 14:57   #6
BANNED

Why can UP not allow online registration, seems that Ranchi has done it. The global norm is to give a dealer a block of numbers, and then he allots one and files the papers with the RTO.

The law has always been that the vehicle should leave the premises with plates, but there are two things here - HSRP cannot in general be done in a day (UP is still to introduce them), and why is it taking the RTO weeks to allot a number.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 15:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent move. On 2 occasions I have driven around Allahabad and was always surprised whenever I noticed bikes that looked seemingly old and yet have clean white registration plates on both the sides!

We were surprised to see so many bikes with no registration numbers at all and wondered if this was one of the ways for the owners to escape from registration formalities (and may be road tax too!!).

Last edited by Aditya : 27th August 2015 at 17:30. Reason: Typo corrected as per request
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 00:52   #8
BHPian

Same here in Guwahati. I paid in full for my classic 500 on 25th august, even my insurance has started but I will only get delivery after the RC has arrived which might take up to 10 days.
Old 27th August 2015, 14:23   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Whats to prevent people from removing the plate after taking delivery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Do these people in Allahabad, that the article refers to, not know how to operate a screw driver? What useless laws and directives!
You guys are missing the point. The real issue is bikes never being registered at all! Refer to the incident about two bikes running without registration for a year.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 14:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You guys are missing the point. The real issue is bikes never being registered at all! Refer to the incident about two bikes running without registration for a year.
I see a lot of Ferraris, Bentleys also running with TR plates for a very long time. Forcing a person to register a vehicle in the showroom is wrong, if the intention is to crack down on vehicles without registration, do that, dont do this.

What if I wanted to buy a vehicle for which a loan would be available to me only in my native city/town? The local bank would also ask for a local registration at the RTO (usually with nationalized banks). This is a prevalent issue and hence the original RTO rule to allow for TR and then permanent reg in the city/state of your preference.
Old 27th August 2015, 15:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The real issue is bikes never being registered at all!
Isn't this a failure on the part of the dealer and the RTO authorities, why should it then be an appeal. There should be a crackdown on such dealers who deliver the 2 wheelers without registration. As said by few even registered 2 wheelers are prone to misuse. Is there not any rule or provision in the MV act which will allow the RTO or traffic cops to impound the vehicle in the absence of any registration no for a pre declared period?

For bikes number plate provision at front and back are available but for scooters there is only provision and that is at the rear. In the front only stickers are pasted.
Old 27th August 2015, 17:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
It's a failure of the police department that they didn't pull over these vehicles when on the road. The point I'm trying to make is, there's no difference to the end-result (theft, chain-snatching, etc) if the bike was never registered or the number plates were removed. You still have a sans-number-plate vehicle on the road, that the cops failed to catch hold.
Old 27th August 2015, 18:26   #13
BANNED

I think at least the RTO should be penalised for the loss of Insurance period due to their slotyh, and this too recovered from their salaries! Then maybe they will learn, or possibly the bakshish will go up!
Old 27th August 2015, 18:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

This rule has been in force in Goa since the time of implenentation of the MV Act of 1989. I think it is a part of the MV Act but some states don't implement it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks