Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2015, 16:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
How to store motorcycle tyres?

Hi guys,

How do you guys store tyres (unmounted ones). Either new or taken off the rims to try on different ones (either terrain or weather specific).

A tyre company wants me to test a new set they have developed and I will need to take off the current ones on my bike - which are super sticky, very nice, very expensive tyres, with more than half their life left in terms of rubber and tread depth.

Also, how long is it ok to store tyres in this manner without the tyre rubber degrading (hardening, cracking, dry rot, losing flex, stickiness) or tyre getting warped/flat spotting?

Cheers, Doc
Old 23rd October 2015, 18:17   #2
BHPian

Re: How to store motorcycle tyres?

Doc, I think this article might be of some help to you.

Do write a report on the new set of test tyres that you would be using. Cheers.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 18:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Doc, I think this article might be of some help to you.

Do write a report on the new set of test tyres that you would be using. Cheers.
Thanks buddy. I've done the Google rounds already and this was one of the first articles I read. Its a consensus to keep them upright in a cool dry place preferably sealed inside a plastic garbage bag. And turn them over once in a month or two so that one spot is not always in contact with the ground.

But how long can tyres be kept and still maintain their pliability and stickiness?

Till next monsoon? 9 odd months away?

For my Bullet, I remember I had kept a Ceat Secura Sport for more than a couple of years. And it is doing duty fine on my bike right now up front.
Old 23rd October 2015, 19:31   #4
BHPian

I guess the side walls are more affected due to storage as they become dry and develop cracks. In my opinion a very thin layer of vaseline or any other petroleum jelly on the side walls will help in avoiding the dryness. Its just an idea and I have not researched on the effect of petroleum jelly on tyre rubber.
Old 23rd October 2015, 20:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Long ago, an ace motorcycle mechanic friend (before emigrating to Australia) told me never to buy bike tyres from shops that stacked them and only to buy from ones that stored them upright in slots. Because tyres that are stacked can become warped, and the bike will have a wobble that can't be cured, without replacing the tyre.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 21:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Long ago, an ace motorcycle mechanic friend (before emigrating to Australia) told me never to buy bike tyres from shops that stacked them and only to buy from ones that stored them upright in slots. Because tyres that are stacked can become warped, and the bike will have a wobble that can't be cured, without replacing the tyre.
100% true. Manufacturers do recommend the same and the storage racks were provided to stock the tires upright
How to store motorcycle tyres?-513xvtbfnal._sx300_.jpg
Image source : Google
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 08:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

A better & simpler idea would would be to mount them on walls. A piece of iron/wood has to be put on/in the wall & the tire can be kept there. Maybe wrapped.
Old 24th October 2015, 08:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A better & simpler idea would would be to mount them on walls. A piece of iron/wood has to be put on/in the wall & the tire can be kept there. Maybe wrapped.
The worst thing to do. Should only be done (mounting, hanging) to wheel mounted tyres. Which may also be stacked flat one above the other.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 08:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The worst thing to do. Should only be done (mounting, hanging) to wheel mounted tyres. Which may also be stacked flat one above the other.
I didn't factor in the tire-belt.

Let us know as to what conclusion did you arrive at.
Old 24th October 2015, 10:42   #10
BHPian

This is a just thought out of the box. You could put them in a nice big thick plastic bag and remove the air out of it using a vacuum cleaner at home. You could Place a small amount of uncooked rice covered in muslin cloth to remove any moisture. And seal the plastic cover.

Edit: just saw that this step is already mentioned in the link posted by barcalad.

Last edited by anilupadhya : 24th October 2015 at 10:53.
anilupadhya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 11:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
which are super sticky, very nice, very expensive tyres, with more than half their life left in terms of rubber and tread depth
Doc,

I store my non sticky,not very nice and relatively cheap MRF RIB-19 and the Nylo grip 3.50 * 19 in the controlled environs of my bedroom(read less moisture and not so cool as to promote cracking)

The unused tyres kept in the upright position and I often flex them a bit. Its best to keep tyres in a location which has fairly constant temperatures (least fluxuations) hence I keep them where I sleep.

Regards,

BOV
B O V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 15:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Doc,

I store my non sticky,not very nice and relatively cheap MRF RIB-19 and the Nylo grip 3.50 * 19 in the controlled environs of my bedroom(read less moisture and not so cool as to promote cracking)

The unused tyres kept in the upright position and I often flex them a bit. Its best to keep tyres in a location which has fairly constant temperatures (least fluxuations) hence I keep them where I sleep.

Regards,

BOV
I too have my spare 18 inch Bullet wheels with knobby Ceat Secura/Vertigo Sport rubber stored upright indoors. My wife is not too pleased about it of course.

anilupadhya I like your idea about the uncooked rice. Makes sense. Though to be honest, a lot of sites mention that leaving tyres on the grass/soil outdoors (in shade) is better than storing them on concrete as the moisture from the ground keeps the tyres hydrated and supple.

Look up a phenomenon called "outgassing" - which is outer layers of the tyre's rubber losing essential oils.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 16:44   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Wrap it with paper and store it in one corner in upright position. We have an almariah which is at a corner. So just moved the almariah half a feet and placed the tyre in that sloy. Nice cozy place which ensures that the tyre stays cool and upright !
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 17:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

I manufacture rubber components for a living (not tyres though).

What you need to do is stop/slow down oxidation - i.e. aging of the rubber. How to do that? Cut off the supply of oxygen (i.e. air)

What to do: Apply talcum or chalk all over the tyre. Inside and out. Then put it in a plastic bag and seal it using tape . Its messy but it works. Certain government specification actually requires manufacturers to do so to slow down oxidation.

What not to do: DO NOT put any vaseline or oil on the tyres. The rubber in your tyre is going to react with these oils.
AbhiJ is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 17:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I manufacture rubber components for a living (not tyres though).

What you need to do is stop/slow down oxidation - i.e. aging of the rubber. How to do that? Cut off the supply of oxygen (i.e. air)

What to do: Apply talcum or chalk all over the tyre. Inside and out. Then put it in a plastic bag and seal it using tape . Its messy but it works. Certain government specification actually requires manufacturers to do so to slow down oxidation.

What not to do: DO NOT put any vaseline or oil on the tyres. The rubber in your tyre is going to react with these oils.
Thanks for that advice. That is why my LB 200's fork bellows as well as butyl tubes come with the white talcum powder in the pack. Same for the insides of Duckback raincoats. I thought it was to prevent the rubber melting due to the heat and sticking together.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th October 2015 at 17:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks