Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2015, 10:05   #1

Yezdi Classic 250 - Which one should I buy?

Hi Guys,

This is the first time I am posting, I am planning to buy a YEZDI 250 classic and I have 2 options (One in Mumbai and the other in Lucknow).

First lets talk about the Mumbai one. Its a 1983 model, 3 owners and has not been used since past 1 year. The owner says it just needs a service and the bike would start. From the photographs the owner has shared the bike looks in a decent shape with some repairs.

The Hiccups are that I need to transfer the bike from Maharashtra to Gujarat. As per the owner, I will have to pay for the NOC cost, Fitness check cost and of course the Gujarat RTO registration cost + Taxes.

He is asking for 18k (which seems a decent deal) + 4 to 5 k for NOC at Maharashtra RTO. The Gujarat RTO cost I have still not calculated.

The 2nd Bike is also a YEZDI classic 1976 model, Single Owner as per the books, The bike is in working condition and needs some minor repairs.

The Main issue with the bike is that its Owner has expired and as per the person who is selling the bike, it is not possible to Transfer the bike as the Owner has already expired. He is asking for 25k for the bike.

In both the cases, I will have to shell out money for the NOC, Fitness Test and Transfer cost + taxes.

My query is, which one is a better option and especially the 2nd Bike where the owner has expired, can a vehicle be transferred in such a case.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2015 at 12:25. Reason: Language
RE30 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th October 2015, 12:59   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Yezdi Classic 250 - Which one should I buy?

This one is easy. Avoid the bike that cannot be transferred. There's no point in owning such a vehicle and it could potentially get you in trouble too. Who knows its history? Is the seller a relative of the deceased owner? If so, ask him to first transfer it in his name and then, you buy it from him. Related thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE30 View Post
The owner says it just needs a service and the bike would start.
The probability of that happening is the same as my Jeep beating a Polo GT TSI on a race track .

These are old bikes. Unless you are buying a perfectly restored example, be prepared to invest time & money in bringing them up to shape.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 13:49   #3
BHPian

Re: Yezdi Classic 250 - Which one should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE30 View Post
..The owner says it just needs a service and the bike would start..
What is the owner's definition of 'service'?
Replace all parts with new ones?

I had owned Jawas/Yezdis for years.
Well-maintained bikes often had starting problems - spark-plugs fouling (2-stroke engine remember? oil burnt with fuel), ignition coil problems, carburettor flooding!
Please check the bike physically before attempting negotiations!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 20:31   #4

Thanks GTO. I guess you're right. A bike with a history like this will bring in unnecessary troubles. Hence i will go with your advise and will avoid this one.

@ cpbopanna thanks for reminding me about the problems and issues I would be facing. In fact I owned a JAWA when I was in college and I remember the trouble of cleaning the spark plug every now and then. And the point issue especially during monsoons. The bike would just not start due to moisture. Thanks for reminding me about all that time I spent in garage getting it repaired. I will inspect the bike thoroughly and then decide wether I really want to invest time in a 2 stroke.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks