Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2015, 11:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)

With urban congestion constantly on the rise, hiring a cab instead of driving your own car offers little respite from traffic. The motorcycle taxi concept has started gaining popularity the world over, and bike taxis have just received the green flag from the Government of Haryana.

The permission has been given to an agency called "Baxi", owned by Gurgaon based 74 BC technologies private limited. The service will provide last mile connectivity to and from residential areas, offices, bus and metro stations, while offering the cost benefits of a two-wheeler. A trip from Sikanderpur to Cyber Hub could cost around Rs. 25 on these bikes. Founded by IIT-Delhi alumnus Ashutosh Johri and Manu Rana, the service will be launched by the end of November, with around 100 low cost motorcycles from brands like Bajaj and Hero.

Johri states that the riders will be trained in aspects such as safety, hygiene and etiquette to make the experience comfortable for passengers. All the Baxi riders will have uniforms to make them easy to spot, while helmets and hair nets will be available for the customers. Baxis can be hailed either from government allocated stands or through the company's Android app (to be launched). Haryana is the second state in India to permit the use of motorcycles as taxis after Goa.

Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)-1.jpg

Source: HT

*Image for representation only. Courtesy: Wikipedia

Last edited by Tushar : 14th November 2015 at 11:02.
Tushar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 15:22   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)

Cheaper & quicker - a win win! Great move, especially keeping in mind the large number of cabs with only 1 passenger onboard.

Big daddy Ola had also recently announced that it's planning to enter the motorcycle taxi segment.

Safety & riding style are the most important. Good to hear that helmets will be available for pillions, but am not sure how many passengers would wear a (smelly?) helmet that's being shared with a hundred others.
Old 15th November 2015, 15:32   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
A trip from Sikanderpur to Cyber Hub could cost around Rs. 25 on these bikes.
Sikanderpur to cyberhub for Rs 25 on a bike ?

I'd rather take the Metro @ Rs 20/28 or an Auto @ Rs 50 or an Uber @ Rs 60.

For someone like me, who is scared of riding a two wheeler with an unknown driver - this mode of transport will be the last on my commute priority list. And I am pretty sure that this is not going to see a lot of female ridership, so that's a big market lost.
Old 16th November 2015, 19:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Sikanderpur to cyberhub for Rs 25 on a bike ?

I'd rather take the Metro @ Rs 20/28 or an Auto @ Rs 50 or an Uber @ Rs 60.
Many who take taxis, will have their luggages with them, or there will be at least two members travelling.
To me, this segment is new found, and will find takers from those who want to reach to their destinations quicker, instead of bus transport. Also, it can complement buses, by addressing the last mile connectivity, by having such two-wheelers wait at the bus stops.
Quote:
For someone like me, who is scared of riding a two wheeler with an unknown driver - this mode of transport will be the last on my commute priority list. And I am pretty sure that this is not going to see a lot of female ridership, so that's a big market lost.
Valid points!
However, to improve female ridership, such companies might come up with lady drivers on yellow coloured Activas, who knows!
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 10:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

A group of IITians have introduced the Rapido bike taxi app in Bangalore. Rapido is a platform through which you can book a bike ride through a mobile app while traveling solo. The aim here too is to reduce congestion, travel time and transportation costs. The fare stands at Rs. 5 per kilometre with a booking charge of Rs. 10 with no waiting charges or surge pricing.

The app is currently available on the Google Play Store and will be offered on the App Store soon. Once you've downloaded the app and registered yourself, you can check for the nearest rides on the booking page and click on "Ride now". Any online request will need to be matched by an accepting rider who is within a 5 km radius of your location. Once the booking has been placed, the user gets the rider and vehicle details. Helmets and shower caps are provided for passengers. After the ride is complete, you can pay by cash (e-payment options will be added soon).

You can also cancel your request within 5 minutes of placing the booking without any cost. Post that a cancellation fee of Rs. 30/- will be applicable. Rapido is currently offering its services in JP Nagar, BTM Layout, HSR Layout, Koramangala, Bellandur, Marathalli and Kundalahalli.

Two-wheelers owners looking to make some extra cash can also join the app as riders, by dropping in a mail to partner@rapido.bike.

Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)-5.jpg

Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)-6.jpg

Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)-7.jpg

Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)-1-2.jpg
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 20:31   #6
BHPian

M-Taxi & Baxi - Motorcycle Taxis now in Gurgaon!

Two firms have now come up with the concept of Bike Taxis in Gurgaon. Both claim to have imparted intensive training to their riders who have a uniform of their own. The pillion (user) has to compulsorily wear a helmet.

Looking from an economic perspective, it's cheap and quick, as the estimated fare from HUDA City Centre to Cyber Park would be somewhere around Rs. 25 only!

In the words of the Baxi's MD :

Quote:
Our pilots will be well trained on hygiene, etiquette, safety and other aspects that makes the passenger comfortable in using our service. They will also carry helmets and hair nets for the pillion riders, and provide them with wipes to freshen up at the end of the ride,” said Ashutosh Johri, MD of 74 BC Technologies, the company that owns Baxi.
On the other hand, Arunabh Madhur, an avid biker himself and a member of a Superbike Club says :

Quote:
"India is the largest market and manufacturing base for two-wheelers and bike taxis have worked well in countries with similar demographics and traffic problems," explains Madhur as he hands me a disposable net cap to wear below the compulsory helmet for hygiene and helps me fix the buckle tightly. M-Taxi will follow the fleet-ownership model and has now got on board 10 drivers. "We have tied up with a big staffing company to provide trained drivers, who will be our employees,"
While I personally like this concept of quick and cheap travel, it remains to be seen how popular can this be. Safety is the first concern of any user when it comes to sitting pillion on a bike whose rider he hasn't seen riding before. I also feel that this concept of 'taxi on two wheels' can perhaps use the rapidly growing motorcycling culture in our nation as it's catalyst.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3
Attached Thumbnails
Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)-12239199_904895209594260_790147047937037141_o.jpg  

Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)-12291969_904052046345243_6176657019130021962_o.jpg  

Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)-mtaxi_main2.jpg  

barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 00:06   #7
BHPian

Re: M-Taxi & Baxi - Motorcycle Taxis now in Gurgaon!

Man, that newspaper article reeks of paid news. That apart, why the hell did this take so long to arrive? In a country filled with narrow lanes bike taxis should have arrived decades ago, way before autos and cabs.
hellmet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Haryana and Bangalore get Baxis (bike taxis)

Uber to launch Bike Taxi's in Bangalore. Called UBERMOTO.

Quote:
To be called UberMOTO, the service is aimed at tapping additional revenue streams in one of the world's biggest markets for two-wheelers.

Fares will be as low as Rs 3 per km. "Uber will start this service since (Bengaluru) suffers from the similar issue of traffic congestion like Bangkok," said a source who did not want to be identified.

According to this person, the company sees a huge opportunity in solo bike riders who have space to take pillion riders commuting on the same route. The service will be first launched on a pilot basis in Bengaluru, which has a perennial traffic congestion issue. It will later be expanded to other parts of the country.

According to estimates by the state transport department, Karnataka's capital had 3.8 million two-wheelers, including motorbikes, scooters and mopeds, compared to 1.1 million cars as of March 2015. If successful, the launch of UberMOTO will mean a huge jump in the number of riding options for commuters and a significant expansion in Uber's business. Average travel speeds in the city barely reach 10 km per hour.
The Bike rider will also carry a helmet for the pillion. Another report also indicated that individuals can register their personal 2 wheelers for this service.

Somehow not too thrilled about this idea. I would be very reluctant to climb on a 2 wheeler taxi. The Auto's and cabs are scary enough but at least gives some level of protection against a rash driver.

On the other hand, considering the number of Two Wheelers on the road and our general traffic congestion, it may be a good idea for the last mile connectivity.

Source: ET Auto

Edit: Official release by Uber.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 3rd March 2016 at 10:46.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ola introduces bike taxis in Bangalore

Now, Ola has announced the launch of its pilot initiative of bike taxis in Bangalore.

At a minimum fare of Rs. 30, these bike taxis will serve as a means to ferry customers across the city with an introductory fare of Rs. 2 per km and Re. 1 per minute of trip time.

The two-wheeler transportation option will be available on the Ola mobile app and will provide users with the same experience as that of booking a cab i.e. driver details displayed, SOS, live tracking and payment using Ola Money. Also, all pillion riders will be provided helmets.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 10:09   #10
BHPian

How many people living in Bangalore, who see the nightmarish manner in which so many bikers ride on our roads would trust their lives to this service? I'd rather pay a bit more, get the Uber/Ola hatchbacks or worst case, an auto and put up with the occasional obnoxious rude driver than risk my lives in the hands of an unknown rider. Bad, Bad idea IMHO.
imp! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 14:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Havent seen any yet in Bangalore. But at Booking charge + 5 Rs per km, I can as well take my car at the same rates and yet travel in the comfort of the a/c.

But yes, better than the auto's. Could consider these once in a way ..
Old 5th March 2016, 09:39   #12
BHPian

The Bike taxi services has been deemeed illegal by the Bangalore transport department. Please click below to access the TOI link for the details.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...05032016001049
autobahnjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 10:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

This was a concept introduced in Goa during the Portuguese Regime. It started off as people hiring someone to ride your bike and take you around town. These riders were known as Pilotos or Pilots. Later on this concept evolved into these pilots buying their own bikes and ferrying people around town. During my school time I remember the government used to give a subsidy of Rs.5000/- to buy these bikes.
Being a Goan, I feel proud that a concept that has been running successfully here for years is finally spreading to other parts of the country. AFAIK, it was tried out in Hyderabad (using Bajaj Chetaks) some years ago but it's didn't take off (No pun intended).

This topic reminds me of a joke (based on a true incident) about a tourist who went to hire a Pilot to drop him to the Airport. The Pilot said "Sorry, you have to take a taxi as Pilots and Autoriksha's are not allowed near the airport. To that the tourist replied "If Pilots are not allowed near the airport, then who flies the planes?".
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 10:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
The Bike taxi services has been deemeed illegal by the Bangalore transport department. Please click below to access the TOI link for the details.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...05032016001049
I'm not surprised at this. In fact, when reading the news about the launch of this initiative, I was surprised that they somehow got permission to launch it in the first place.

The RTO and Insurance rules are very strightforward ... you cannot carry paying passengers on a private registration. Any person intending to join Ola or Uber in their bike taxi scheme would have to get their vehicle registered with the yellow number plate and would also have to provide a helmet to the rear pillion rider (that rule is in place even if it is not enforced).
Old 12th March 2016, 12:48   #15
Team-BHP Support

Ola has withdrawn its bike taxi service in Bengaluru. The company has not given any reasons for discontinuing the service. The Regional Transport Authority has said that Ola will need to obtain a licence to operate and has seized bikes that were running without the necessary permissions.

Meanwhile, Uber - Ola's rival - continues to operate UberMoto, its bike taxi service in Bengaluru.

Bike taxis are being operated in various cities in India. Hiring a bike taxi is much cheaper than an autorickshaw or car. This makes the service very popular among solo commuters.

Source: ET Auto

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks