Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2015, 14:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Rynox 5.5" Cellphone Mount for Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick14 View Post
I used to use a magnetic tank bag with a top transparent cover, where I used to place my cellphone/GPS and used to slide in a cord to charge it while riding it as well. I found a magnetic tank bag more functional that just a cellphone holder.
I think cramster sells one for 2k.
I tried this but I found it dangerous as I had to look down and take my eye off the road for a longer time than I am comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Thank you for reviewing an increasingly important & neglected category of accessory for motorcycles.
5. Try to keep the angle vertical (like a laptop screen) instead of flat where you need not rise and look at the maps. It is safer IMO.
You are welcome. I have now shifted it to the left most side of the handle bar and placed it more vertical, at right angles to my line of sight. This should stop the annoying reflections. Need to try this and will report the same.
Old 19th November 2015, 13:03   #17
BHPian

Good work! Congrats...

I remember seeing a product specially for bikes on the MapMyIndia site. I just checked - I could not find it!! What I vaguely remember is that it had some sort of 'lock'. The structure too seemed to be more robust that the ones used here. I could be wrong - I had seen the photo a long time back.

Another question is about the time that the battery lasts - I have used MapMyIndia and Google Maps in my car. If I do not keep the charging ON, then the battery fails in less than an hour. I hope this unit has a 'standard' feature for keeping the charging process ON.

Girish Mahajan

Note: I have not driven bikes over long distance since 1997 or so.. So this is just wishful thinking on my part - I mean my interest in all this..
Old 19th November 2015, 14:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I remember seeing a product specially for bikes on the MapMyIndia site. I just checked - I could not find it!!
There was indeed a model from MMI especially made for motorcycle use. It was called the Trailblazer and another variant called Trailblazer 2. Those models were very expensive at that time which retailed at 20K upwards and had a puny 3.5 inch screen. With the advent of Smartphones enabled with AGPS, GLONASS and the now recently launched Bei Du the dedicated navigation devices were decimated from the competition. There were many advantages that smartphones offered like bigger screen, better battery life(compared to some 900-1000 mAH capacity of MMI Trailblazer), being more versatile and dynamic that dedicated map devices wherein one can store maps from multiple vendors and also have free updates, working on online as well as offline mode, and a million more advantages a smartphone has over a conventional dedicated map device. One can see how navigation devices have taken a severe beating and are left battered by smartphone enabled navigation. One can get a decent smartphone for around 4 to 7K and use it as a dedicated navigation device in addition to its smartphone features instead of buying a more expensive navigation device. I use my android smartphone as a dedicated GPS device which I call SMPDGPS(Smartphone dedicated GPS) in addition to my regular smartphone.
Quote:
Another question is about the time that the battery lasts - I have used MapMyIndia and Google Maps in my car. If I do not keep the charging ON, then the battery fails in less than an hour. I hope this unit has a 'standard' feature for keeping the charging process ON.
Mate unlike MMI and other dedicated navigation devices which have puny batteries a smartphone today packs in lithium polymer batteries ranging from 3000 mAH to 5000 mAH which has enough juice for long rides. My SMPDGPS has a moderate battery capacity of 2000 mAH which I found is enough for my rides. Besides this I have my regular smartphone as a backup which has 4000 mAH battery that I can use. Another option is to have a power bank attached or a solar charger which juices the SMPDGPS perpetually.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 19th November 2015 at 14:22.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 16:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
There was indeed a model from MMI especially made for motorcycle use. It was called the Trailblazer and another variant called Trailblazer 2. Those models were very expensive at that time which retailed at 20K upwards and had a puny 3.5 inch screen. With the advent of Smartphones enabled with AGPS, GLONASS and the now recently launched Bei Du the dedicated navigation devices were decimated from the competition. There were many advantages that smartphones offered like bigger screen, better battery life(compared to some 900-1000 mAH capacity of MMI Trailblazer), being more versatile and dynamic that dedicated map devices wherein one can store maps from multiple vendors and also have free updates, working on online as well as offline mode, and a million more advantages a smartphone has over a conventional dedicated map device. One can see how navigation devices have taken a severe beating and are left battered by smartphone enabled navigation. One can get a decent smartphone for around 4 to 7K and use it as a dedicated navigation device in addition to its smartphone features instead of buying a more expensive navigation device. I use my android smartphone as a dedicated GPS device which I call SMPDGPS(Smartphone dedicated GPS) in addition to my regular smartphone.

Mate unlike MMI and other dedicated navigation devices which have puny batteries a smartphone today packs in lithium polymer batteries ranging from 3000 mAH to 5000 mAH which has enough juice for long rides. My SMPDGPS has a moderate battery capacity of 2000 mAH which I found is enough for my rides. Besides this I have my regular smartphone as a backup which has 4000 mAH battery that I can use. Another option is to have a power bank attached or a solar charger which juices the SMPDGPS perpetually.
Dear navin_v8,

Your memory is much better than mine. You are right it was called Trailblazer 1 and 2.

My experience is that the life of the battery depends on two factors - the mAH of the battery and the current drawn by the unit. Bigger the screen - bigger the current. Better the GPS - bigger the current. I have not (yet) come across a mobile which can run without charger for more than an hour or so - if Maps and GPS are ON. As the internet speed varies, the mobile consumes even more current! Ouch!! I agree most bike users do not go distances which car users go - but I am sure there are many on Team-BHP who have done bike travel much more than taxi drivers! So, if the navigation has to be done for near-by distances, then it is okay. Otherwise, I think, the continuous charging would have to be considered strongly!

By the way, I like your SMPDGPS idea!
Old 19th November 2015, 17:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I agree most bike users do not go distances which car users go - but I am sure there are many on Team-BHP who have done bike travel much more than taxi drivers!
As you rightly mentioned in the latter part there are very many riders who have rode for more than 800 to 1000 kms in a day. We riders do not see the Odometer while riding it is just the fuel gauge that is monitored as to be careful that we don't run out of petrol . Also I agree about your analysis on screen size, GPS related to battery life. I have done pretty long distances of more than 600 kms(combined) using my SMPDGPS. If one is smart enough to conserve the battery life by keeping the phone off when it shows straight highways on the GPS upto 30-50 kms then the power will be enough to pull one through a full day's riding. There are certain tricks one can use to conserve the battery life while switching on the GPS as and when required by keeping the phone on standby mode.
Quote:
So, if the navigation has to be done for near-by distances, then it is okay. Otherwise, I think, the continuous charging would have to be considered strongly!
There are very many options for continuous charging and one of them is 12V charger that can be using via the 12V cigarette lighter(while in a car) and using a portable and mountable 12V USB charging outlet(while on a motorcycle that charges the smartphone as long as the motorcycle is running). This is apart from using other options like a powerbank and solar charger both incase of a car as well as motorcycle.
Quote:
By the way, I like your SMPDGPS idea!
Old 20th November 2015, 07:58   #21
BHPian

I happen to have a rynox and a sw motech so heres my 2 cents (or 50 paisa!!) worth.

Firstly I felt cheated as a friend of mine bought the same bag on ebay from hong kong for half of what I paid Rynox (and that included shipping). So obviously Rynox is importing this from some chinese manufacturer and adding a sticker, doubling or tripling the price and selling it to us gullible fools.

Anyways the bag served its purpose for a while although I didnt trust my phone in it in the rain now that I knew its a cheap chinese import. However the lack of a sun visor got to me so I then ordered the sw motech navi bag. As you can see from the pics there is a world of difference in terms of construction. There is both a sun visor and a headphone port. Motech does not claim waterproofing as there is a chance of water getting in through the zips. However I would trust my phone in this in the rain anyways as they are definitely weather proof zips.

For those of you in the riding game for the long run I would recommend spending the moolah if you can afford it. I did make a mistake and ordered the one with the sun visor on the long side of the bag . I then discovered they have a model which is specifically for phones which has a much bigger visor covering which would be more suitable for a phone in the upright position (I believe its the navi pro S and mine is the L). Although again Im not sure if there is a size difference in terms of both the bags dimensions.

As a side note I have found a much better touch response on the Motech bag as well even through my thick RS Taichi gloves.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Rynox 5.5" Cellphone Mount for Motorcycles-dsc_0115.jpg  

Review: Rynox 5.5" Cellphone Mount for Motorcycles-dsc_0116.jpg  

bik1906 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 00:47   #22

On the outset, the accessory seems very useful. After looking at the placement of the device (on handle bars), it seems like this would completely take the rider's view OFF the road, which is highly dangerous and should not be recommended IMHO.
Old 21st November 2015, 11:05   #23
BHPian

I use it too. Pretty useful. Phone hardly moves. I have clicked the case off the base numerous time and have not broken it yet. For me, it fits in like a part of the meters so doesn't make me look away from the road either. IMO, if you are using your phone only sometimes this makes sense over spending on the RAM. Also, it is one of the Aliexpress case but it keeps water out like a champ so no worries. For sun reflecting and making it hard to decipher, I keep changing the angle with the and with the phone at full brightness, visibility is fine too.
Old 29th November 2015, 21:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

I had once tried to use maps using only the speakers and not the screen at all. I put in only the left earbud of my non noise-isolating headset and kept the phone in my pocket. I could clearly hear outside noise and Google maps provided me voice navigation quite accurately. Having proper built-in helmet speakers should be used though. After a while my ear felt weird (not a habit to wear headset inside helmet).

That said, having a 12V socket should be considered for using map with screen on, as I realised from using my moto x. I've only got 2.5 hrs out of it at times. Or one can always print out the turns to take from google maps and keep the paper handy.

A question to OP, did you notice any difference in handling while you used the Rynox cell phone mount ?
Old 30th November 2015, 18:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
After a while my ear felt weird (not a habit to wear headset inside helmet).

That said, having a 12V socket should be considered for using map with screen on, as I realised from using my moto x. I've only got 2.5 hrs out of it at times. Or one can always print out the turns to take from google maps and keep the paper handy.

A question to OP, did you notice any difference in handling while you used the Rynox cell phone mount ?
Yes, tried using the headphones but my helmet is a tight fit so was uncomfortable.
I use a power pack in my tank bag so battery life is not an issue. What is, is the phone heating up so much.
No difference in handling. I rode 1300 kms to Goa and back recently without any issues.
Incidentally I have shifted the holder to the outside of the handlebar just inside the switches and it is better as far as reflections are concerned.
Old 10th February 2017, 15:57   #26
BHPian

Was riding back home a few hours back while using the navigation of my phone. Must've been doing 70 or so on a flyover descend, when suddenly the mount gave away and the cover (with my phone in it) flew off. My bad, since I had not attached the mount lock properly, as I realized later.

Stopped the bike immediately, kept requesting the lord to spare my phone and sprinted onto the oncoming traffic while signalling drivers to watch out and recovered the phone mount.

Not a single scratch on the phone and a minor shred on the phone cover.

Rynox products - as tough as their mascot. Highly impressed.

Review: Rynox 5.5" Cellphone Mount for Motorcycles-whatsapp-image-20170210-3.48.55-pm.jpg
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks