Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 15:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: RMLC - My Tricolor Honda CBR250R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I see, you have bought yourself a Royal Honda Bullet
Jokes apart, these rust patches are mostly surface rust which has not penetrated the metal or paint. I agree a quality product must not rust like this, especially in a dry place like Gurgaon, however these can be easily cleaned by using a small quantity of WD40 or similar penetrating oil.
Sirjee,

You are spot on. its Honda for god's sakes. I paid 2.1 lakhs for this bike - I could've paid 30-40% lesser for a comparable KTM. I did so for peace of mind only. Except Honda doesn't care as long as they can sell a few million activa every year.

I am not going to remove that rust, esp since you diagnose it as being on the surface I am a "Fill it, Shut it, Forget it" person since forever. I already have my son, wife, job to keep happy - I cannot and will not invest any energy to make the CBR look rust-free. I simply bought a can of anti rust spray from Jeetu Paaji and sprayed it liberally in the key areas.
Old 30th August 2016, 20:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sirjee,

You are spot on. its Honda for god's sakes. I paid 2.1 lakhs for this bike - I could've paid 30-40% lesser for a comparable KTM. I did so for peace of mind only. Except Honda doesn't care as long as they can sell a few million activa every year.

I am not going to remove that rust, esp since you diagnose it as being on the surface I am a "Fill it, Shut it, Forget it" person since forever. I already have my son, wife, job to keep happy - I cannot and will not invest any energy to make the CBR look rust-free. I simply bought a can of anti rust spray from Jeetu Paaji and sprayed it liberally in the key areas.
Rusting is a big problem in Mumbai. Even my 8 month old Mojo has some big rusting on it. Though I have started using the WD40 to remove the rust. For chain I keep on using the chain lube and it has helped me do away with rust completely.

Can you tell us more about this Can of Anti Rust spray that you are talking about, what brand, what's the name. Best if you can provide us with the snap of the spray. Can help many of us in here in Mumbai.
Old 21st November 2016, 13:49   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sirjee,

You are spot on. its Honda for god's sakes. I paid 2.1 lakhs for this bike.
I am not going to remove that rust,.
I have a 5 years old CBR 250R without a single rusting issue in it. Thanks to Salem & Trichy's weather.

And regarding fuel efficiency, i have never seen anything above 29 kmpl except for once (32 kmpl during a highway ride with my friend, where I had to keep speeds down to 90 kmph for his unicorn to keep up). Yes, I ride with T.W.O at all times.

My past Karizmas (ZMA -R and ZMR) have seen 19 kmpl most of the times, and even the ultra frugal 200, the Pulsar 200NS gave me 30 kmpl only.

But I dont mind the fuel efficiency at all. CBR250R is fun to ride (even when you are used to RC390/R3) till 120 kmph, but a bit sluggish beyond (I'm a big 120 kg dude).

Please post more pics. The tricolor looks great and is also very rare.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd November 2016 at 03:12. Reason: Edited out mention of top speed as per forum rules.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As of May 2015, Honda Motorcycle quality has officially gone into the toilet. This is my May 2015 bike (bought in Nov 2015). The bike is always covered and sees only occasional use. The amount of rust it has accumulated in all random places pisses the living daylight out of me.
With 5 years almost up, My experience with the Honda CBR250R has been dismaying -far too much wear and tear for 10-11 k km compared to my P180-2005 which saw over a lakh km of service in ten years including 2up touring to Ladakh / hills with much less care over bad terrain etc. My issues:
- Widespread rusting of enough bolts (Clutch axial bolt? Handlebar nut? Disc brake nut?)
- Left switch gear dead - replacement? order pls
- horns that die 3-4k km (roughly 2 years of usage)
- Alloy wheel bend (enough to leak only)
- Cone set (yes its a touring ONLY bike but at 10k?)
- Minor alignment of discpads
- Both front forks leak in 10k (himachal trips and ONE Spiti trip) - replacement? order pls

The engine is butter but at 11k, that's totally par for the course for a Honda, no?

I will not recommend a Honda to anyone today except someone wanitng to buy a SBK or an Activa (or equivalent 100cc bike). Bajaj ProBiking experience was much more sorted back in the day.

Cribbing aside - the bike still looks gorgeous and the joke of a headlight has been augmented with lovely LEDs by Fatboy Customs, Gurgaon and now touring horns have been added as well making it a TRUE joy for highway cruising.
Attached Thumbnails
RMLC - My Tricolor Honda CBR250R ABS-img_20201010_0933062.jpg  

RMLC - My Tricolor Honda CBR250R ABS-img_20201011_1718152.jpg  

RMLC - My Tricolor Honda CBR250R ABS-img_20201012_104514.jpg  

RMLC - My Tricolor Honda CBR250R ABS-img_20201012_1408482.jpg  

phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 23:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

RMLC - My Tricolor Honda CBR250R ABS

Sorry to hear about the issues with the CBR - not something we would associate with a Honda.

My CBR250 is 1.5 years older than yours (May2014), done 16K kms. I have not had any of the issues you listed - horn, switchgear, rust etc. Even the battery is the OE one that came with the bike.

But then my usage is only on highways - no hills & stuff like you do.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 23:27   #36
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the issues you're facing.

My CBR (2017) bought pre-owned, is free from these minor niggles, touchwood.

A good detailing session perhaps?
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
With 5 years almost up, My experience with the Honda CBR250R has been dismaying
Sorry about your ordeals, but I believe you have got a proper lemon from Honda, and are unfortunate in that regard. I have got my self a preowned CBR 250R and I have ridden it for around 6000 kms in the last 11 months, and did not face any of the issues you have mentioned.

But availability of spare parts is a big issue, at least here in Hyderabad. Had a fall at crawling speeds and the brake pedal got bent, that was back in March, and I have been trying to source a brake pedal since then, but for no use. Placed on order on some portal and got one for the BS III model which doesn't fit the BS IV model. Had to visit 3 Honda showrooms to get the rear view mirrors as well. I am little worried in that regard.
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 20:51   #38
BANNED

Quote:
With 5 years almost up, My experience with the Honda CBR250R has been dismaying -far too much wear and tear for 10-11 k km
Your symptoms tell me that you wash the motorcycle more than you actually ride it. Or park it immediately after a wash.

Motorcycles aren't waterproof, they're barely water resistant.

Then again these aren't real issues to be honest, minor inconveniences at best.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 22:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

For everyone's reference - my usage is:
- Grocery runs (<3km) every 2-3 weeks
- Big highway run (~300-1000km) every six months

Initially I did about 4500km in the first six months till my Spiti trip resulted in carpal tunnel (Rode to Spiti in March to find peace, got Carpal Tunnel instead!) which nearly ended my job / riding. I had to discontinue riding for about an year. Again in July 2019 I had some recurrent problems which meant I could not even commute >5km on the bike. But the grocery runs happened regularly.

The only other thing which got changed was the battery. I didn't mention it because it was AMAZING but got drained courtesy my consulting career associated travels and the above usage pattern. Else it was lovely all through - for four odd years, it never gave up despite usage once in 3-4 weeks at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Sorry to hear about the issues with the CBR - not something we would associate with a Honda.

My CBR250 is 1.5 years older than yours (May2014), done 16K kms. I have not had any of the issues you listed
I bought it exactly basis the appliance like (i.e reliable to a fault) feedback from folks and my epic rider friend, Doc Arnob, who some of us old timers may have heard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
Availability of spare parts is a big issue, at least here in Hyderabad. Had a fall at crawling speeds and the brake pedal got bent, that was back in March, and I have been trying to source a brake pedal since then, but for no use. Placed on order on some portal and got one for the BS III model which doesn't fit the BS IV model. Had to visit 3 Honda showrooms to get the rear view mirrors as well
Precisely - I never aspired for a SBK because of such horror stories. Never thought the CBR would see such days. Hell, honda - just allow us to order off Amazon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Sorry to hear about the issues you're facing.

My CBR (2017) bought pre-owned, is free from these minor niggles, touchwood.

A good detailing session perhaps?
Sir, my bike is washed only by Indradev (rain!). Every time it is taken out - only the seat / handlebar / mirrors are cleaned and not a cm more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Your symptoms tell me that you wash the motorcycle more than you actually ride it. Or park it immediately after a wash.

a. LOL sir surely you jest - please see above. Anyone who has ever met me knows that I am ANTI vehicle beautification beyond the minimum cleanliness. Gurgaon is dust storm central sir and please see my world beating aesthetics management SOP listed above!
b. Well - your words in bold are what I tell myself to give me hope. But then how many small mice must you ignore at your favorite restaurant before you move away?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 23:05   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With 5 years almost up, My experience with the Honda CBR250R has been dismaying -far too much wear and tear for 10-11 k km compared to my P180-2005 which saw over a lakh km of service in ten years including 2up touring to Ladakh / hills with much less care over bad terrain etc.
phamilyman, I was quite surprised to read the issues that you listed. The CBR has a stellar reputation but it looks as though your bike somehow has some inherent issues which are not very common with the bike. On second thoughts, I havent heard of this many issues with a single CBR and I probably know at least 15 - 20 riders who owned the CBR250 at some point of time or the other. Anyways, hope it gets sorted out and the bike is back in top form soon.

What horns did you add?

Quote:
My issues:
- Widespread rusting of enough bolts (Clutch axial bolt? Handlebar nut? Disc brake nut?)
- Left switch gear dead - replacement? order pls
- horns that die 3-4k km (roughly 2 years of usage)
- Alloy wheel bend (enough to leak only)
- Cone set (yes its a touring ONLY bike but at 10k?)
- Minor alignment of discpads
- Both front forks leak in 10k (himachal trips and ONE Spiti trip) - replacement? order pls
Quote:

I dont know if the analysis of washing being the root cause of the issues is a joke or was meant in all seriousness!

Also alloy bends, cone set issues and fork leaks are not real issues?
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 00:47   #41
BANNED

Quote:
a. LOL sir surely you jest - please see above. Anyone who has ever met me knows that I am ANTI vehicle beautification beyond the minimum cleanliness. Gurgaon is dust storm central sir and please see my world beating aesthetics management SOP listed above!
b. Well - your words in bold are what I tell myself to give me hope. But then how many small mice must you ignore at your favorite restaurant before you move away?
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I dont know if the analysis of washing being the root cause of the issues is a joke or was meant in all seriousness!
Read his post once again. Simply put he mentions Electrical Issues and Rusting, these are the result of water damage.

Either he washes his motorcycle too often or parks his motorcycle immediately after a wash. Cause leaving the motorcycle under rainfall would cause rusting but won't interfere with electricals, especially after breaching sealed parts.

The symptoms he's mentioned are simply textbook.

Quote:
Also alloy bends, cone set issues and fork leaks are not real issues?
Fork Seals and the Coneset are basically consumables, hence why they ideally do not even come under warranty. Think of them as slices of bread, you take larger bites they get over sooner, you take smaller bites they last longer.

As for the Alloy, what else do you expect after taking a front heavy Motorcycle to the kind of places he did. And these are Alloys from Enkei nonetheless.

Then again irrespective of brand of alloys if someone brakes hard before encountering a pothole they do bend or crack, and this again is not a quality flaw but a rider error due to the obvious reason of compromised suspension travel when encountering sharp undulations.

So these are the reason why I honestly do feel that these are minor inconveniences at best. I've faced them at one point of time or the other and so have several others before and after me. It's just part of the game, we err, we learn from it, we move on.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 24th October 2020 at 00:48.
Old 24th October 2020, 09:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
phamilyman, I was quite surprised to read the issues that you listed. The CBR has a stellar reputation but it looks as though your bike somehow has some inherent issues Anyways, hope it gets sorted out and the bike is back in top form soon.

What horns did you add?
Agree fully with you - maybe mine is the lemon but it is important to state the unvarnished facts and nothing but the facts.
https://www.amazon.in/Hella-003-399-.../dp/B000CRZXPI - these are not used in day to day but for SOS on the highway at cruising speeds at night - think a trucker suddenly changing lane and cutting me off. The CBR horn was a pipsqueak and the headlight barely visible for me, much less a trucker.

Quote:
Read his post once again. Simply put he mentions Electrical Issues and Rusting, these are the result of water damage.

Either he washes his motorcycle too often or parks his motorcycle immediately after a wash. Cause leaving the motorcycle under rainfall would cause rusting but won't interfere with electricals, especially after breaching sealed parts.

The symptoms he's mentioned are simply textbook.
Please listen to what I said for ManasN95 instead of imposing your projections. This is such a Steve jobs-esque tone-deaf "You're holding it wrong" answer. I repeat - this bike has NEVER been washed outside of whatever a service center does - by August 2016, it had only been to a service center once! It is not even fully wiped every time it is used.

If you want, I can next post youtube videos of my driver and tower guards about the sheer lack of care I do for my bike. Oh wait - here's the most unlikely gem I have ever had to refute your projection about careless washing - I once got a twitter DM from some random dude who saw over a year that my bike was never cared for. No one sends such a DM for a bike that's actively being loved and cared for!
RMLC - My Tricolor Honda CBR250R ABS-bike-purchase-dm2.jpg

Can we please give each other the mutual respect of accepting an ownership report as the truth instead of basically saying "its a lovely bike but he consistently takes the wrong care / abuses it so much in every way possible" in a sophisticated fashion! Funnily my P180 didn't get abused despite costing almost one fourth, being ridden much more rashly (stupidity of youth!) often 2up and when I was 10kg heavier!

I have nothing to sell here. Nor have I ever been a fanboy. Just posting the unvarnished truth.

Oh and a minor nugget - my bike's indicator switches work but the pass and horn don't. Clearly my mythical washing ability has next level micro-targeted water damage skills! Minor hole in the "he washes his motorcycle too often or parks his motorcycle immediately after a wash" theory?

That said, even if one accepts the "wash too often" theory, how does that explain the exhaust rust in 10 months unless you now allege that I spray water INTO the exhaust as well I am done with your operator blame and evidence-less Honda defense. seriously.

PS: As a lapsed DBHPian (courtesy the same busy job), my posts still hold the same standard. I have no bias other than my overwhelming frustration at the parts failures + unavailability - zero fabrication

Last edited by phamilyman : 24th October 2020 at 09:17.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 10:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

H, sell the CBR and buy the KTM that you should have.

Never too late.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Poor quality is demonstrated by manufacturers across the spectrum in India. My friend's brand new Interceptor is rusting all over. That too in Bangalore! Now, which bike can we trust? Someone needs to go legal on these Brands
Quote:
As of May 2015, Honda Motorcycle quality has officially gone into the toilet.
Attached Thumbnails
RMLC - My Tricolor Honda CBR250R ABS-img_7987.jpg  

Old 24th October 2020, 12:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Poor quality is demonstrated by manufacturers across the spectrum in India. My friend's brand new Interceptor is rusting all over. That too in Bangalore! Now, which bike can we trust? Someone needs to go legal on these Brands
The old Bullets were surprisingly very rust resistant. Personally I find RE chrome (especially hard chrome) second only to to the old KBs and RXs.

The Classic in 2011 was shambolic. RE ceased to excite me as a brand post that.

Doppie remains with me like an old friend. Testament to the old days.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks