Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2016, 18:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Replacing Motorcycle Battery With A Capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
Hi Friends,

The battery on my Karizma has gone week. I know one can replace the battery with a capacitor or at least add a capacitor so that overall voltage is good. has anyone done a DYI around adding a capacitor to a motorcycle ?

I don't care about the electric start can do with he kick starter itself.

Regards
Rajnish
This answers all your capacitor queries in detail.

Capacitor
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 17:17   #32
BANNED

Re: Why does my bike need a battery to run while kick-starting?

I know this is an old post but posting anyhow just to clarify things.

For the motorcycle to fire you need a signal from the CDI or ECU and in the event of a dead battery that would only happen if your CDI/ECU is AC powered as it feeds of from the alternator, and to clarify just because your whole motorcycle is DC doesn't mean that the CDI/ECU is, take the R15 for example.

Even on motorcycles that run on a DC CDI like the Karizma/Bullets etc, you need the battery to run right else chances are it wont start at all or would die within a short while.

So to be on the safer side make sure your battery is in perfect working order or change in fixed intervals(3 years is my take) if you own a DC ignition motorcycle.
Old 7th June 2018, 19:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I know this is an old post but posting anyhow just to clarify things.

For the motorcycle to fire you need a signal from the CDI or ECU and in the event of a dead battery that would only happen if your CDI/ECU is AC powered as it feeds of from the alternator, and to clarify just because your whole motorcycle is DC doesn't mean that the CDI/ECU is, take the R15 for example.

Even on motorcycles that run on a DC CDI like the Karizma/Bullets etc, you need the battery to run right else chances are it wont start at all or would die within a short while.

So to be on the safer side make sure your battery is in perfect working order or change in fixed intervals(3 years is my take) if you own a DC ignition motorcycle.
I guess I was one of the lucky ones who bought a CDI Bullet that doesn't require a battery to start or run.

Enfield made the CDI for the 4 speed A350 initially which I think didn't require a battery as well after which they used it on the Thunderbird and then the Electra until 2004 after which they used the TCI for all their models apart from the Standard.

At time of purchase, the only reason I went for the Electra instead of the STD 350 was to not be stuck on the road with a dead battery and that decision was spot on.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 19:51   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I guess I was one of the lucky ones who bought a CDI Bullet that doesn't require a battery to start or run.

Enfield made the CDI for the 4 speed A350 initially which I think didn't require a battery as well after which they used it on the Thunderbird and then the Electra until 2004 after which they used the TCI for all their models apart from the Standard.

At time of purchase, the only reason I went for the Electra instead of the STD 350 was to not be stuck on the road with a dead battery and that decision was spot on.
Lucky indeed, especially considering the bragging rights than come along with a RE that can run without a battery.

Running off an AC CDI is another reason why I prefer to ride my CT100B over the 220F when it comes to long distance touring, motorcycles with AC CDI can run even without a functioning RR unit.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 21:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I too was one of the lucky ones whose bike didn't require a battery to start. I bought my Thunderbird in 2002 and used it for 10 years. Even after months of not using the bike, it always started after a couple of kick start attempts.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 09:11   #36
BANNED

Hey guys,

For those interested in enabling their DC ignition motorcycles to run without a battery or run fine with a flat battery could give the following DIY thread a read;

DIY: Motorcycle Battery Eliminator

The thread shows how I replaced my stock battery with a capacitor which enables me to run without a battery, the need for the same on my AC ignition motorcycle is due to electrical's such as the horn,brake light, indicators etc requiring a battery to run.

The same would also work on DC ignition motorcycles such as the Royal Enfield's and enable them to run without a battery, this mod can also be used along with a battery by parallel connection of the capacitor with the battery leads which will not only enable the DC components of your motorcycle to run more efficiently i.e better lighting, louder horn output etc but would also enable you to kick start your motorcycle in the event that the battery dies.

Edit:

This mod costs roughly under 100/-, the actual price for one capacitor from a reputed manufacturer is 50/- for a 4700uF 50V unit.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 11th June 2018 at 09:15.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 18:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
I too was one of the lucky ones whose bike didn't require a battery to start. I bought my Thunderbird in 2002 and used it for 10 years. Even after months of not using the bike, it always started after a couple of kick start attempts.
Mine is a 2005 Thunderbird and it was a non TCI model. So runs just fine without the battery. I bought mine just a month before the 50th year edition bikes came out which had self start and were TCI ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Hey guys,

For those interested in enabling their DC ignition motorcycles to run without a battery or run fine with a flat battery could give the following DIY thread a read;

DIY: Motorcycle Battery Eliminator
Thanks for the useful thread. Much appreciated. I have a query regarding my Thunderbird. I have upgraded with the latest projector headlights and also got Roots windtone horns. I rarely use my bike as I prefer the Gixxer for daily commutes. So my TB is invariably left with low or no charge at all. I don't want to replace the battery as its again going to lie idle.
What option would you suggest. A single capacitor or the parallel setup you have mentioned?

I'll be more than happy if my lights and horns work when bike is started and running. Wouldn't need them like they work with a proper battery.
Currently if I remove the battery, the bike starts just fine, but horns do not work. Also at higher RPMs, the smaller bulbs like the brake lights, indicators burn out literally due to high voltage.

Last edited by swami.n : 11th June 2018 at 18:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks