Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 10:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

January 2016 - Two Wheeler Sales Figures

Here is a summary of the Two Wheeler Sales for January 2016. Manufacturer Summary, Model level sales, and Top Selling List included below.

Manufacturer Level Sales.

January 2016 - Two Wheeler Sales Figures-jan2w1.jpg

Top 10 selling 2 wheelers

January 2016 - Two Wheeler Sales Figures-jan-2w4.jpg

Model Level Sales

January 2016 - Two Wheeler Sales Figures-jan2w2.jpg

January 2016 - Two Wheeler Sales Figures-jan2w3.jpg

Key Observations
  • Mixed bag for manufacturers. Some showing growth, but some showing decline in sales. Notably Honda.
  • Royal Enfield continues its dream growth. 67% compared to Jan 2015.
  • Yamaha shows a 49% increase in sales. Courtesy the Fascino Scooter.
  • Bajaj Avenger, Discover 125 and the new CT100 driving volumes for Bajaj auto. Pulsar Brands stagnant
  • Harley marginally increasing sales. Several models show postive growth.
  • Splendor continues to drive Hero Motorcorp. But loses first place to Activa again. Hero Scooters not able replicate the same level of success. Big drop for the Pleasure.
  • Honda contiues to be driven by the Activa. Shine is the most successful among its Motorcycles. But again not able to replicate the success of the Activa.
  • Mahindra struggling for any kind of numbers. Only the Gusto showing some sales. But still miniscule.
  • Piaggo Vespa sees a big drop.
  • Huge growth for every model in the Royal Enfield Stable.
  • Suzuki's top selling model, the Access showing a steep decline in numbers. Nothing much else to cheer about.
  • The TVS Xcel Moped conitnues to be its best seller. Jupiter doing well. Wego seems to have dropped off the radar. Apache showing some growth. Probably linked to the new Apache 200

Source: Management Punditz

Last edited by Zappo : 24th February 2016 at 12:37.
Rajeevraj is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 12:09   #2
BHPian

re: January 2016 - Two Wheeler Sales Figures

Very surprised to the see the month on month drop in D390 - what can be the reason?
At this point Hero should probably kill Karizma - they have managed to completely ruin a fantastic bike.
timuseravan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 11:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: January 2016 - Two Wheeler Sales Figures

What catches my eye here is Kawasaki's sales. It's evident that the brand doesn't do much to promote its bikes and the reputation alone is driving in these numbers. They are launching new bikes of course, but I cant help but think about the damage Kawasaki can inflict if they show a little more commitment to the Indian market.

The Ninja 650 is still one of the most revered premium bikes and the YOY growth is a reflection of that. High-end bikes don't occupy a great share in the market, but the players are obviously coming in with a long-term perspective and the potential for growth is evidently there.

I'd like to know how DSK-Benelli is doing. At least on the surface, they seem to be going strong.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 13:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is a little difficult for me to digest the fact that Unicorn 160 has sold only 52 Units! It has been outsold by Harley Iron 883!
How is that possible? Is it because of Honda doing something on the production line to ramp up Hornet production?

Meanwhile, the new Avenger seems to have got a good response.
Old 25th February 2016, 14:31   #5
BHPian

Some observations from my side:

1. Hero Motocorp should stop milking Splendor and Passion and show some intent to do something new. If not in bikes above 200cc, but atleast in 150cc segment where both Hunk and Xtreme collectively sold close to 3,500 units, while in the same time, direct rivals Pulsar sold 33,000 units and Apache sold 20,000 units. If they are not going to do something new and grow, I am not sure for how much more time, Splendor and Passion can sustain them.

2. Hero Motocorp should finally stop the production of Karizma, they have ruined a perfect tourer and now there's no hope in flogging a dead horse. Otherwise, they should take Karizma back to the drawing board and do something radical so that it's old glory can be achieved, if possible.

3. Royal Enfield is continuing it's dream run with 67% rise in sales. Himalayan can also add couple of 1000's more to the overall numbers from next month.

4. Bajaj is also doing good with the newly launched Avenger, while Pulsar remains stagnant. They should diversify more apart from Pulsar and Discover brand to get in more sales.

5. TVS's Apache has brought in some required numbers for the company, but only time will tell that how Victor fares in the long run.

6. Mahindra has nothing much to write home about, with only Gusto bringing in some numbers, while all the other models have shown negative sales.

7. In performance category, Harley Davidson has shown increase in sales, while Triumph and Kawasaki have seen reduced sales.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 14:32   #6
BHPian

Sales figure shows KTM RC 200 at zero for January 2016.
I feel there has to be some mistake in that.

Last edited by sathya.bhat : 25th February 2016 at 14:35.
Old 25th February 2016, 17:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
Some observations from my side:

1. Hero Motocorp should stop milking Splendor and Passion and show some intent to do something new. If not in bikes above 200cc, but atleast in 150cc segment where both Hunk and Xtreme collectively sold close to 3,500 units, while in the same time, direct rivals Pulsar sold 33,000 units and Apache sold 20,000 units. If they are not going to do something new and grow, I am not sure for how much more time, Splendor and Passion can sustain them.
One small correction in your observations. The achiever is also a 150cc, and it is still selling 3500 units monthly. So, hero is selling close to 7000 units in 150cc category. Not bad, considering that all the 3 products are outdated and based on decade old platforms and designs.

Secondly, in the Tier2 cities and rural market, Hero splendor, passion and HF Deluxe are so popular and so trusted that it will take a lot of time for new products to de-thrown them. Case in point, the Dream series by Honda. Inspite of being updated products, they are shunned by rural and semi-urban folks.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 17:48   #8
BHPian

Some Observations

1) Hero badly needs to stop spoiling the name of Karizma and pull the plug already. Very sad to see the way they are handling it now.
2) Early days but Duet seems to have not brought back numbers that Hero lost with Pleasure. One factor might be the weight. Hero should have still concentrated more on a 100 cc scooter than bring another 110 cc when Maestro is still there! Some might argue that Maestro is preferred by Men. In that case, it was even more important to have a hold of 100 cc market.
3) Hero has so many 150 cc bikes but the combined sales is not even close to their competitors Honda/Bajaj. They somehow are a bit arrogant in thinking that no one is close to them in monthly sales numbers to concentrate on failure at 150cc segment which is really sad considering the last successful bike from theirs was CBZ ages back.
4) Am stumped to see that Honda has almost pulled the plug on Unicorn!! I was not aware of this or maybe I did not read the reports and sales figures correctly.
5) Apart from CB Shine and Activa which is the undisputed king on road, all the segments are in red zone for them. A wake up call needed.
6) Bajaj finally has been able to come out of the shadow of Pulsar in the 150 segment with Avenger. The numbers are not bad at all!! Even the big brother Avenger also has put up stunning numbers with highest growth across segments barring phoenix which does not have big numbers to boast the growth.
7) Mahindra needs to take a brave decision and shut shop the 2 wheeler segment. Despite a better sales for Gusto, there is nothing here that I see which supports their stand to continue incurring heavy loses.
8) No words can justify the success story of Royal Enfield and its better to not touch up on the Royals
9) Really sad to see Suzuki dwindling in numbers. be it Let's or Gixxer, they really deserve much better sales. Most of the critics rate these 2 as the best in segment and yet their sales are not even in the league of the competitors. Not sure why it is so.
RaghuVis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 18:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
One small correction in your observations. The achiever is also a 150cc, and it is still selling 3500 units monthly. So, hero is selling close to 7000 units in 150cc category. Not bad, considering that all the 3 products are outdated and based on decade old platforms and designs.

Secondly, in the Tier2 cities and rural market, Hero splendor, passion and HF Deluxe are so popular and so trusted that it will take a lot of time for new products to de-thrown them. Case in point, the Dream series by Honda. Inspite of being updated products, they are shunned by rural and semi-urban folks.
Apologies for missing out on Achiever. But even taking that into consideration, 7,000 is not a huge number as compared to their direct competitors from Bajaj, TVS, and others. Agreed that they are decade old products and designs, but I meant that the company should focusing on launching new products and platforms in 150cc category as the market is moving towards 150cc and higher bikes, and also from profitability point of view larger bikes have more margins.

True that the 3 bread and butter bikes of Hero, i.e., Splendor, Passion, and HF Deluxe are very popular in the rural areas but everything has a shelf life and if not now, then maybe in next 3-4 years, the consumers will ask for something fresh and better. Honda is doing well with the Dream series but obviously they will need some time to establish that brand trust, especially in rural India.

Thanks.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 21:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Here is a summary of the Two Wheeler Sales for January 2016. Manufacturer Summary, Model level sales, and Top Selling List included below.
Thanks Rajeevraj for sharing the 2-wheeler sales details .

Just curious to know, where did the numbers of Pulsar 135 and Pulsar 200 AS/RS are accounted for? Are they already accounted in 150CC & 200NS numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
It is a little difficult for me to digest the fact that Unicorn 160 has sold only 52 Units! It has been outsold by Harley Iron 883!
Guess what is the sales number for Unicorn 160 last month - a big ZERO!!! So, it's enormous growth M-o-M .

Quote:
Hero Motocorp should finally stop the production of Karizma, they have ruined a perfect tourer and now there's no hope in flogging a dead horse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
1) Hero badly needs to stop spoiling the name of Karizma and pull the plug already. Very sad to see the way they are handling it now.
There was a rumour that the production of Karizma have been stopped already by Hero. Even, there was an article in T-BHP -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...n-stopped.html

Quote:
4. Bajaj is also doing good with the newly launched Avenger, while Pulsar remains stagnant.
Avenger has saved Bajaj the blushes again this month - looks like the FLG advertisement is having its effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
9) Really sad to see Suzuki dwindling in numbers. be it Let's or Gixxer, they really deserve much better sales. Most of the critics rate these 2 as the best in segment and yet their sales are not even in the league of the competitors. Not sure why it is so.
Finding a nearby Suzuki showroom might be one of the few reasons I could think of - when you can find a lot of other manufacturer showrooms. One of my colleague was impressed with Gixxer and when he tried to get one, he had to travel close to 15 Kms to the showroom. BTW, the bike was really good to drive and even had a thought of replacing my Pulsar 180 with this one.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 21:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Very surprised to the see the month on month drop in D390 - what can be the reason?
At this point Hero should probably kill Karizma - they have managed to completely ruin a fantastic bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
Sales figure shows KTM RC 200 at zero for January 2016.
I feel there has to be some mistake in that.
KTM Refreshed the 2016 lineup which was launched in early Feb (Related Thread). Due to this, the dispatches in January would have been stopped or would have been a stock clearance. I think that explains the 0's and lower numbers. I think we will see a spike in Feb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Thanks Rajeevraj for sharing the 2-wheeler sales details .

Just curious to know, where did the numbers of Pulsar 135 and Pulsar 200 AS/RS are accounted for? Are they already accounted in 150CC & 200NS numbers?
The AS/RS should be accounted in the NS numbers, I don't think they have the split provided from source. Not sure about the 135, must be included in the 150 since volumes are probably low.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 25th February 2016 at 21:48.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 09:11   #12
BHPian

Aviator dropped 32%. Its such a good scooter. Very stable at high speeds. My Aviator completed 1 year this February and running very smoothly.

Honda can introduce a new version of Aviator giving external fuel filling like Jupiter. That will help improve sales. Jupiter also has pass light, foldable middle luggage hook, small hook for bags under the handle.

I feel Honda is not even looking at customer requirements just because it is selling in good nos. Now even Maestro Edge has external fuel filling. I agree to the fact that Honda scooters are very reliable but Mahindra Gusto has height adjustable seat, TVS Jupiter has external fuel filling. Why Honda is not considering these features?
Old 26th February 2016, 15:43   #13
BHPian

wow. thats a lot of two wheelers getting added onto the roads. Am suspect about certain numbers. for eg. 0 classic 500 in Jan seems shady. I know a friend of mine who got a DS500 during sankranthi. Old workhorse TVS XL is still doing pretty strong.
Old 26th February 2016, 23:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Honda will have a downslide for February aswell: Workers are on strike creating a loss of 800 units a day.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2500900_1.html
Old 29th February 2016, 16:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
Aviator dropped 32%. Its such a good scooter. Very stable at high speeds. My Aviator completed 1 year this February and running very smoothly.

Honda can introduce a new version of Aviator giving external fuel filling like Jupiter. That will help improve sales. Jupiter also has pass light, foldable middle luggage hook, small hook for bags under the handle.

I feel Honda is not even looking at customer requirements just because it is selling in good nos. Now even Maestro Edge has external fuel filling. I agree to the fact that Honda scooters are very reliable but Mahindra Gusto has height adjustable seat, TVS Jupiter has external fuel filling. Why Honda is not considering these features?
I agree. My dad got himself a Honda activa and it is appalling to say the least. The TVS wego sets an example by having the disc brakes, the Jupiter by having external fuel lid and the Gusto has a whole lot of car-like features. Honda needs to buck up in the scooter segment or they risk losing most of their market share to Yamaha, who btw are being quite aggressive in that segment these days.
motorhead16 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks