Team-BHP - Kerala High Court bans motorcycle modifications
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Kerala High Court bans motorcycle modifications (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/173757-kerala-high-court-bans-motorcycle-modifications.html)

Quote:

The Kerala High Court on Tuesday asked the motor vehicles department and police to take action against modifications being made to motorcycles, including loud silencers, affecting the safety and health of road users.
Quote:

"Thunderous noise emanating from motorcycles deafens the ears and also poses a serious health hazard, especially to the ailing and aged commuters on the road. The sound level has to be brought down to the decibel limits prescribed under the Environment (Protection) Rules, 1986 in order to abate the sound pollution," the judgment said.
Quote:

The court said shorter handlebars could not be permitted to replace the standard ones as the very equilibrium of the vehicle could be affected. A mudguard-less motorcycle will splash dirt not only on the rider but also on the persons nearby. Theatre-seating with a heavy slant not prescribed by the manufacturer, with the handle for the pillion rider removed, could throw him in the air at the slightest jerk. The removal of the pillion rider's handle or saree guard should not be permitted and the standard glare-free headlight should not be allowed to be replaced with glittering ones, the order said.
More

So will we see the MV department running around with decibel meters to check the SPL? Time for someone to do a VW on the decibel levels too. :D

After the India-wide sun film ban and < 2000cc Delhi ban, another instance of court meddling in auto industry. These subjects should evaluated scientifically and proper laws formulated instead of the arbitrary decisions from Courts.

Quote:

The court said shorter handlebars could not be permitted to replace the standard ones as the very equilibrium of the vehicle could be affected. A mudguard-less motorcycle will splash dirt not only on the rider but also on the persons nearby. Theatre-seating with a heavy slant not prescribed by the manufacturer, with the handle for the pillion rider removed, could throw him in the air at the slightest jerk. The removal of the pillion rider's handle or saree guard should not be permitted and the standard glare-free headlight should not be allowed to be replaced with glittering ones, the order said.
Saree guard on Duke and all the SBK. :eek:
Is it even possibly for saree wearing pillion to sit on these bikes?

Now all those Private Buses in KL will laugh at the bikes by Honking loud with their silent Horns.

This is a sad development indeed with a totally wrong approach when there are bigger culprits responsible for Air and Sound Pollution. Lobby, Nexus or Mafia or whatever you want to call it has ensured the big fishes are never caught!

Would panniers / luggage boxes count as modifications ?

I agree with the noise pollution but nothing else. The only hope for rationalisation of laws/interpretation of laws is the next generation of judges/politicians who are liberal and don't want to control the public with a colonial mindset.

How will they determine the difference between the stock silencer and an after-market one, especially on the bikes which are loud in stock form? Will they know the difference between a stock silencer and an Arrow exhaust?

Why limit this only to bikes? What about the cargo 3-wheelers which are obnoxiously loud in stock form?

All this does is to give the local law enforcement team more reasons to extract more moolah from the public.

Why should a sari guard be mandatory when there's no chance of of anyone wearing a sari ever sitting pillion on my bike, for one?

I'm not from Kerala but I'm concerned about this ruling setting a precedent for other states to follow and causing us to ride our lovely bikes with the monstrosity of a sari guard attached.

I have had the sari guard removed before delivery in my past bike purchases and hope I am not forced to go hunting for one far less ride around with it installed.

I pray the court reviews its decision and a judge who rides, loves and understands bikes is on the panel reviewing.

Regarding the silencer modifications I agree 200% with the court.

But other modifications are not that much of an issue. Who will climb behind a r15 clad in a saree.

But I do agree regarding mudguards.

Aren't these modifications already illegal according to the law? I think this is just the case of the sun film ban where the Courts have directed the government to uphold the law.

Most autos are far louder than any enfield I've heard. But yes, I'm with them on the noise pollution issue. Far too many people install these unnecessarily loud silencers. Sadly, there is absolutely nothing the government can do about these autos and tempos. And all those trucks and buses that spew out thick black smoke and add to the pollution levels. But I do believe that if they (government) set their minds to it, they can achieve enforcement and compliance for any law. It's just that the will is missing.

I think riders should be allowed to change handlebars and saddles to the ones which give them better control and provide them with more comfort.
It still boils down to what extent the authorities are able to enforce these rules.So far they have hopelessly failed to enforce even some of the most basic regulations,like proper legible number plates and working head/tail lamps.
Moreover,given that some modified parts look very similar to stock parts,how will they differentiate modified parts from the stock ones?

rl:rl:

Except for modification to silencers, I don't agree with a single point. Why can't someone remove a saree guard or change handlebars?

This is what the government does instead of trying to decongest cities and reduce pollution. It's a case of wasted effort.

I completely agree with the order above.
This order sounds like my Father telling me how to be a responsible motorist during college time. :uncontrol

Jokes apart, the modified silencers are truly a menace. My 18 month old son cries and parents are annoyed when such vehicles pass by. :deadhorse

Completely agree with the honorable court with regard to modified silencers. The exhausts are called silencers for reason I guess, they are supposed to 'silence' the otherwise loud engine noise. Even the usage "loud silencers" sounds an oxymoron. These things are really a nuisance, especially at night if your house is anywhere close to the road.
Haven't seen too many people removing mudguards here, but that part of the order is also agreeable.
Is there any law against removal of rear view mirrors? That's the commonest mod I see daily.

:thumbs up to this verdict, especially the silencer and 'dazzling headlights' bit. There are few things more annoying than a modified scooter with a loud exhaust which emits a loud pathetic cvt drone (no rising blip just a constant drone) and cheap white aftermarket lights which blind you with its glare!

Wish there were a law enforcing only tasteful modifications befitting the original vehicle:D