Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2016, 13:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Bajaj developing bigger engine for the Avenger

The entry level cruiser space in India has a dearth of options, with Royal Enfield dominating the segment so far. UM Motorcycles has entered the market with the Renegade cruiser family and now, it looks like Bajaj might up its ante, as a report suggests that company is working on a bigger engine for the Avenger.

Bajaj's recent introduction of the Avenger Street and Cruise series has seen the model's sales pick-up again. The Avenger series is currently available in 3 grades - the Street 220, Cruise 220 and Street 150. As per the report by Autocar India, the new range-topping Avenger could be badged the "Avenger 400" with KTM's 375cc, single-cylinder engine being used as a base.

At the launch of the V15 commuter bike, Bajaj Auto hinted that its next launch will be a bigger motorcycle than anything it is currently offering. This of course, draws attention to the Pulsar CS400 that has been just a concept for over two years now. If the report holds true, it remains to be seen which higher displacement model we can expect from Bajaj first.

Rumour: Bajaj developing bigger engine for the Avenger-1.jpg

*Image for representation only.
Tushar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 14:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Bajaj developing bigger engine for the Avenger

There is always a lot of potential buyers for a good cruiser. Looking at the recent facelift of Avenger and the response that they have received is simply overwhelming. Wonder what are the sales figures of Avenger in the recent months and the delta.

In the same lines a bigger engine and build would help it gear up and compete directly with new competition coming up in the name of a very promising brand UM which does have some great looking bikes since the current Avengers are not that meaty to look at.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 14:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

Avenger is one of my favorite motorcycles in the economy segment. I don't care if the bullet crowd thinks I'm a poser, but I just love the feel I get while riding that bike.

If it comes with a 400cc mill AND ABS, I would be looking forward to buying one till I can afford the Benelli GT or Kawasaki Versys later.

PS- NOT if it sounds anything close to the KTM mill though!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 14:58   #4
r.K
BHPian

The Avenger has huge scope for the current market. It gives great riding comfort, with forward riding controls and comfy seats. Bajaj has the potential to deliver a refined V/parallel twin for the avenger. If they give a 400cc or a 600cc engine and price it competitively, it will shake up the competition.
r.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 16:29   #5
BHPian

I am really happy to hear this. Avenger truly is one cruiser that has a great potential. Remember the Kawasaki Eliminator days ?

Pretty sure Bajaj has no plans for a V-Twin but a higher displacement engine for the cruiser is indeed a welcome addition. Can't wait to ride one !
anand_lukose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 20:47   #6
BHPian

I believe the Avenger is one of the most underrated motorcycle in India, unfortunately buyers tend to compare it with RE Thunderbird due to the Avenger Cruiser(Esque) looks. But it is a terrific commuter due to it's relaxed riding stance.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 21:08   #7
BHPian

I have owned an Avenger 220 for 4 years and I can vouch for the bike, eyes closed. My only grouse has been the dimensions of the bike, since I am 6'1. I sold it last year to upgrade to a bigger bike but I swear I still miss this bike, call me stupid but I frequently visit my phone gallery to see its pictures . A bigger engine with increased saddle height and this bike can compete with any of the bigger imported/Indian bikes.

I so Miss her. Here is a picture of her from our last ride together!!!

Rumour: Bajaj developing bigger engine for the Avenger-dscn7895.jpg
Engine_Roars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 21:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

If ever a bike needed ABS, it is this.
Maybe the one I rode was defective, but my backside would feel every mm level imperfection of the road.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 24th October 2017, 12:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

CarToq has speculated that Avenger 400 using Dominar's 373cc engine is likely to be launched by March, 2018.

More here:

http://www.cartoq.com/bajaj-avenger-...s-launch-soon/
Old 20th December 2017, 13:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a camouflaged Avenger today morning, was little bit away from it to check engine or hear exhaust sound. Hoping that it isn't a face-lift and has an updated bigger engine as well.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 13:54   #11
PAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Spotted a camouflaged Avenger today morning, was little bit away from it to check engine or hear exhaust sound. Hoping that it isn't a face-lift and has an updated bigger engine as well.
Wow, that's great. was this somewhere on Spine road?

I sincerely hope they do come up with a cruiser spec tuned 375 cc engine.

Have been waiting for this news since the day Dominar 400 was launched.
PAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 01:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS View Post
Wow, that's great. was this somewhere on Spine road?

I sincerely hope they do come up with a cruiser spec tuned 375 cc engine.

Have been waiting for this news since the day Dominar 400 was launched.
Oh, absolutely. In my opinion Bajaj should not have even bothered with the Dominar and just put that KTM-based engine right into the next Avenger. India needs more cruisers darnit!

The Dominar is such an oddball. It's like Bajaj wanted to combine a sports bike, a tourer, and an Enfield rival all into one, while also coping the Diavel for some strange reason. What we ended up with was a bizarre Frankenstein that was not really any of those things, and it certainly was no Enfield-killer. Still, maybe future variants will hold more promise. And to be fair, it seems those that DO own a Dominar are deliriously happy with their machines, so maybe this is a sleeper hit in the making, much like the Mojo... but I digress
Old 24th December 2017, 09:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Don't see the Dominar engine being shoehorned into the Avenger frame... simply too much engineering effort
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks