Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2018, 11:51   #766
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The security guard was the most enthusiastic of the lot and showed me the Thunderbird X at their store room behind and even explained the color options.
I have to say this is quite impressive. I have seen the same happen at some showrooms here in Chennai too. The security guys know more about the vehicle than the acutal sales team. Some are so impressive, they will explain even the latest tech inside the interiors to you. Hats off to these guys.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 12:00   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Have you tried counter steering? This helps a lot for high speed turns. While leaning into a corner, gently push the inside end of the handlebar, or pull the outside end towards you, whichever is suitable for you, but inside push is always better. You can feel the bike turn in quicker while doing this. Hope the tip helps, do let me know how it goes for you.

You are quite right about the counter steering. I realised this in my experiments over the past two weeks. Got on to YouTube, understood what it was about and though it took many attempts before I felt some real effect, am sort of getting used to using the technique now. I think some of chaps near the areas where I kept practising must have thought I was nuts! 😀 Thanks for the input!
rideon74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 15:16   #768
BHPian

I need users' advices on RE Himalayan.

I am looking for a new motor bike and eagerly waiting for launch of RE Interceptor. Right now, I own Avenger 220 which is with me about five years. I would like to get a bike with better power and torque for relax riding. I just do not like the harshness of Avenger 220 engine.

But, while going thru this thread, I thought let me give RE Himalayan a try, though its belong to different genre. I have booked a test ride in coming Saturday. I never owned a RE product before.

I am 52 and 5-11" tall. Will this bike be comfortable enough for me? I am looking for a machine which is easy to ride with good low-end torque and smoother engine. My average monthly running is approximately 500 Kms and I never exceed 100 kms/hour. I use motorcycle just for love of riding and enjoy in week end only.

I will keep my Avenger 220 for errands and for office commuting, I have my Wagon R also. So, I will mainly use my new bike for week end trip to city outskirts.
Old 14th May 2018, 15:32   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I need users' advices on RE Himalayan.
I am 52 and 5-11" tall. Will this bike be comfortable enough for me? I am looking for a machine which is easy to ride with good low-end torque and smoother engine. My average monthly running is approximately 500 Kms and I never exceed 100 kms/hour. I use motorcycle just for love of riding and enjoy in week end only.

.. So, I will mainly use my new bike for week end trip to city outskirts.
Sans the 'smooth' part Himalayan should perfectly fit the bill. Very comfortable for in city maneuvering, powerful low-end torque for acceleration/some off road and is good till 100 kmph when one starts wishing some 10 more HPs. Smoothness/refinement is one key parameter RE tapers down on, over time. Budget permitting and if refinement is top priority I would think of Versys 300 in this category. Your test rides will unwrap the answers. cheers.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 16:27   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it me or are the gear ratios on the Himalayan a bit warped? 2nd gear pretty much seemed useless at lower speeds, the bike just would not pick up unless revved reasonably well on 1st gear off-road.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:48   #771
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is it me or are the gear ratios on the Himalayan a bit warped? 2nd gear pretty much seemed useless at lower speeds, the bike just would not pick up unless revved reasonably well on 1st gear off-road.
Yep.
Not only that but on the Himalayan need to downshift all the time.
I miss the ability to pull from the higher gears.
But on the plus side, since there is no need to slow down at speed breakers, there is no need to go slow and then down shift.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-whatsapp-image-20180516-9.17.27-am-1.jpeg
The comedy, which is Royal Enfeild.
They don't match. So need another Allen key to adjust the headlight.
One more funny thing. The bolts holding the rear view mirrors are different sizes on left and right.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-whatsapp-image-20180516-9.17.27-am.jpeg
Installed these rexine grips. Bought them from Amazon.
They give a nice feel to the grips and though I am not sure how well they will last, for now am quite happy with them.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 15:03   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The comedy, which is Royal Enfeild.
They don't match. So need another Allen key to adjust the headlight.
Oh, I thought it was just me. Looks like they give everyone the wrong size allen keys. I had to buy another set just to get the correct size.
jackerhack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 10:04   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
I think some of chaps near the areas where I kept practising must have thought I was nuts! 😀 Thanks for the input!
You're most welcome!

I can understand that look. I live near an army area with a lot of round about junctions. It was a great place to practice cornering, counter steering. Couple of times got stopped by the defence personnel as they too thought I was mad going round in circles again and again.

Ofcourse that didn't stop me. Some people won't get it.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 22:12   #774
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, anyone recently purchased the Continental GT Heel Plate from this website?

http://royalbikesindia.com/index.php...oduct%2Fsearch

If yes, would be glad to know the prices paid. I reckon the part sells for 263 approx, with tax it's a wicked 70 rupee increase, as per the website.

Would be glad to know if anyone paid the current price or sourced it at a cheaper price outside.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 23rd May 2018, 00:10   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
You're most welcome!

I can understand that look. I live near an army area with a lot of round about junctions. It was a great place to practice cornering, counter steering. Couple of times got stopped by the defence personnel as they too thought I was mad going round in circles again and again.

Ofcourse that didn't stop me. Some people won't get it.
Agree with that, I did not know about the three different ways of leaning into the curves until I read it in a book, its written by one of the travel enthusiasts, 'The wheeled adveturer's handbook'.
I rode REH on my recent SPITI ride, Manali-Kaza-Manali and few deviations off the main route, used the counter steering method most of the times when I could and its amazing,, one needs to practice it enough and master it until you are confident of full control over gear and break pedals and clutch and break-lever at the same time. Sometimes, I felt I was too much into the leaning and was missing the control while other times I felt I could do it really well. I'd continue using/practicing it, its going to be fun!
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 13:44   #776
BHPian

The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1527666662.536599.jpg

The pic I had to take. As I parked my 2018 BS4 Himalayan next to a classic Bullet that was perhaps more than thirty years old - I just had to pause and take in the moment. With the two bikes that were many generations apart but presently side by side, I found myself thinking about how far RE has come over the decades.

From making the old thumpers more reliable (and iconic), giving the country its first mile munching cruisers to the present offering of the more nimbler, dual purpose tourers - and soon, the 650 twins that will warm the hearts of retro lovers - not a bad track record for a 26 year old who took over the company in 2000.

Eighteen years of improvements, strategy, new directions and of course, profitability - not bad at all, Siddharth Lal. (And thank you very much for the Himalayan, by the way.)

Last edited by rideon74 : 30th May 2018 at 13:46.
rideon74 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 10:13   #777
BHPian

These pics of the ABS set up was posted on the REH-Group India page on Facebook by Steve Ballington, from his new Himalayan at Madeira in Portugal. A sight for sore eyes, in my opinion...
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-reh_abs_2.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-reh_abs_3.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-reh_abs_4.jpg  

rideon74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:16   #778
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, have anyone observed the speedometer needle jump when the ignition is being turned off to remove the key. Of late, and intermittently I see the speedo needle jump a second when I turn off the ignition, but there's no problem whatsoever when turning on the ignition, the pre start checks run fine. Anyone observed the same?

Cheers!
VJ
Old 4th July 2018, 21:13   #779
Team-BHP Support

Did my first multi hour run on the bike.

Hyderabad to Chennai : 680 kms.

The bike is quite nice to ride on the highway. But I HATE the seat.
My old Thunderbird's modified seat is like a lounge chair in comparison to The Himalayan's bathroom stool.

I will have to get this seat modified as soon as possible.
It hurts a lot.
Maybe I should diet and reduce my weight, but that is not going to happen.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-bike.jpg
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 08:48   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

Bblost, how many hours did you take for this run? What was your start and end time?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks