Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 15:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha launches Cygnus Ray-ZR scooter at Rs. 52,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Yamaha unveiled its all-new scooter - Cygnus Ray-ZR, for the Indian market.
Yamaha finally launched the Cygnus Ray ZR model at Rs 52000 for the indian market targeting the youth with DNA of style, sportiness and innovation. The scooter was unveiled in the Auto Expo 2016. The scooter comes with two variants - drum brake for Rs 52000 and disk brakes for Rs 54500. The scooter will be available in the Indian market from next month. Yamaha's target of 10% market share is ambitious considering that the scooter segment is growing at 30%.

There is no update on the Yamaha India website of the launch as of yet.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...0_6343041.html

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...s-52000/25332/

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...-2017/51923942

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd April 2016 at 07:59.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 15:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Yamaha launches Cygnus Ray-ZR scooter at Rs. 52,000

Yamaha has launched the Cygnus Ray-ZR in India. The scooter is available in two variants - Drum brake and Disc brake. While the former is priced at Rs. 52,000, the latter costs Rs. 54,500 (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Yamaha launches Cygnus Ray-ZR scooter at Rs. 52,000-rayzr-3qtr-green90051.jpg

The Cygnus Ray-ZR was unveiled at the Auto Expo 2016. It is powered by a 113cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled, 4-stroke, 2-valve engine with Yamaha's Blue Core technology. The engine produces 7.1 BHP @ 7,500 rpm and 8.1 Nm of torque @ 5,000 rpm and is mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT). Yamaha claims that it can return a fuel efficiency of 66 kpl.

The Cygnus Ray-ZR measures 1,820 mm in length, 700 mm in width and 1,115 mm in height. It has a wheelbase measuring 1,270 mm, a seat height of 775 mm and a wet weight of 103 kg. The scooter features a telescopic fork front suspension, under seat storage of 21 litres, an analogue instrument cluster and tubeless tyres. The drum brake variant will come in two body colours. The disc brake variant will get two different colours.

Yamaha launches Cygnus Ray-ZR scooter at Rs. 52,000-yamahas-cygnus-rayzr.jpg

Deliveries of the Cygnus Ray-ZR are scheduled to commence in May 2016.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st April 2016 at 15:57.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 15:56   #3
BHPian

Re: Yamaha launches Cygnus Ray-ZR scooter at Rs. 52,000

Other features include a fresh instrument console, gas charged rear shock absorber, alloy wheels, tubeless tyres, a golden finish to the bar ends, rear brake clamp, wheels as well as few cycle parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha launches Cygnus Ray-ZR scooter at Rs. 52,000-yamaharayzr.jpg  

surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 16:33   #4
BHPian

What an ugly looking scooter. Yamaha seems to be going the suzuki way with styling. That suspension setup seems sweet though.
lionell is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 20:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
What an ugly looking scooter. Yamaha seems to be going the suzuki way with styling. That suspension setup seems sweet though.

Ugly??

I was about to ask the forum, if these panels could be interchangeable with the old Rays. :(
anand.shankar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 23:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Good looking scooter. Nice feature set too, with a disc brake, telescopic suspension and gas charged strut.

Should suit buyers of a certain "futuristic stylish" mindset right down to the T. I am tempted to swap my Wego for this one, but fearing for my life (wife will kill me if I tried), I will drool at the pictures

Any chance of this scooter going the 125cc/150cc route? Or am I hoping for too much here.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 08:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

What a lovely looking scoot! Good to see scooters finally starting to move away from the "Activa-clone" mode. Yamaha needs to distinguish itself with more performance oriented scooters. Disc brakes, alloy wheels, telescopic suspension, gas charged shocks - a very good start.

Not a fan of the paint-job or oversized letters in the graphics, but that is an easy fix.

The only thing I did not like though is that they went with TVS tyres. Should have stuck to Zappers at least.

Now, waiting for the displacement to climb up towards the 200cc mark. May be wishful thinking, but someone has to start somewhere!!
Viju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

I for one did not like the styling at all and no way it looks futuristic. So many contours actually puts me off, no smooth lines anywhere, all zig zag ones. One imp thing that put me off is the headlamp on the front would not direct towards the direction the handle is turned esp at the turns. I guess the space between the seats and front handle is also less. Till when is Yamaha going to churn out the 110 cc scooters, its time to get the Smax to India.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

Lol... Looks like Yamaha Ray had a offspring with Honda Dio.

The side profile and sticker job is still a Ray, but the front end with the new Dio inspired headlamps and the sharp cutoff of the rear end is typical Dio. Overall not an eye catching our unique design I feel.

Another disappointing launch from Yamaha after the Saluto RX.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:34   #10
BHPian

Wow! A scooter that translates its name into reality. Ray-ZR (Razor?) with sharp razor like edges.

When Yamaha launched Ray V1, it teased our tolerance limits of Indonesian (?) designs. It had a very decent run. This is one step ahead.

Currently, On the basis of styling, The Indian scooter market can be segregated into Classics, Moderns and Futuristics. Fascino, Alpha and now Ray ZR make Yamaha's product portfolio stronger in every category.

Most importantly, all these scooters are based on the same platform. Practical strategy from supply chain optimization point of view.

Go Yamaha!

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 22nd April 2016 at 10:36.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:49   #11
BHPian

Just like yamaha made wonders with FZ in motorcycles with its innovative styling and looks.
I guess they attempting to do the same in scooter segment. The start is not bad though.
I like the styling part it looks futuristic specially the disc brakes and suspension setup.
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:13   #12
BHPian

Looks funky in a way and is better suited for youngsters. Styling is pretty aggressive with sharp edges and lines. I liked how they used darker shades to give a matte finish look. Am not sure how many would go and actually buy one since it costs almost half a lac when there are much more mature and practical options in the market. In my opinion Yamaha should concentrate on making more subtle and reasonably priced scooters that can appeal to all as well as be more practical.
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:06   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Just like yamaha made wonders with FZ in motorcycles with its innovative styling and looks.
I guess they attempting to do the same in scooter segment. The start is not bad though.
Glad that you mentioned FZ

Yamaha has been introducing a number of paint-jobs from time to time. Back in 2014, Yamaha released 9 colour options just for the FZ series! seems like they are trying the same with their Ray series.
This one in particular seems to be made on the similar aesthetic lines as the military edition paint-job. Can't make out if the finish is matte black though(Like the FZ-S military edition).

Seems good that they're incorporating the blue core technology (doesn't mean FI), in scooters as well.
Omkar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to digest why such a handsome machine, which also handles well, is provided with an engine which produces just 7bhp!
Even Grand-dad's Activa produces more than that.

Looks like Yamaha's Blue core is designed to achieve one goal - Take a good performing machine and make it under powered. (Just Like the FZ)
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
The only thing I did not like though is that they went with TVS tyres. Should have stuck to Zappers at least.
Actually, the TVS Scooter tyres are very good! We have 2 Wego's in the family and one Ray-Z. The Wego's came shod with TVS tyres and they are pretty darn good in the dry as well as wet. Used it for nearly 3000kms of city run about in 4 months in all kinds of weather and the tyres held up very well in rain and slush while performing good in the dry. So it is not actually a bad choice.

Coming to the Ray ZR - it is similar to Ray Z in most ways except for the front. And regarding the headlight, the Ray and Ray Z too have it in the same place. There has never been an issue in city runs with the light throw or during turns. In fact, not having the headlight on the handle makes the handle very light and nimble to handle specially for the ladies.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed