Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2016, 13:46   #1
BHPian

About the Yamaha RD350's oil pump

Reaching out to RD experts -

I am very close to purchasing an RD 350. It is running on pre-mix and oil pump not connected.

My question is simple:

Does using oil pump yield better lubrication -

Specifically -

Does the oil pump deliver lower %mix during Idle and Low speed Vs higher % mix at higher RPMs (is there a way to adjust this mix ratio)

With pre-mix it is the same regardless of the RPM once the oil is mixed in.

I know this topic has been beaten to death. But I have not managed to find an answer for the above - esp. with some first hand data.

I know the potential risk and inconvenience of using oil pump but don't want to rule it out.

Thanks a ton...
Krishna
Old 13th May 2016, 16:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: About the Yamaha RD350's oil pump

A bike running of premix fuel will tend to ride leaner and also leave a lot of smoke if the oil ratio to the fuel is on the higher side.

Going with a functional pump is the best way to do it, and yes, you can control the flow of oil as well.
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 17:45   #3
BHPian

Touchy topic!
I use premix, simply because i do not trust a 30 year old oil pump which could fail and cause a seizure. 25 to 30ml of premix oil works fine on my RD.

Cheers!
wolfy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 17:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post

Does the oil pump deliver lower %mix during Idle and Low speed Vs higher % mix at higher RPMs (is there a way to adjust this mix ratio)
Yes

Quote:
With pre-mix it is the same regardless of the RPM once the oil is mixed in.
Yes

Quote:
I know the potential risk and inconvenience of using oil pump but don't want to rule it out.

Thanks a ton...
Krishna
I ran a bike with no issues for over 3-4 years, just ensure it is serviced and all the worn parts are replaced before plugging it in. Keep a check of oil level every week. It is actually pretty fool proof that way. Also look at details, if i remember the output like has lines separate for left and right due to the additional length of the left side tube. Most people dont realize that and will say one side not working in comparison.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th May 2016 at 17:49.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 18:19   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys.

It turns out the pump is connected. But not used (I don't know for how long.) So, I would need to ensure the health of the pump, tank, hoses and the throttle cable activation.

I am OK with keeping a check on the oil level and also carrying a supply with me. Don't see this as a hassle (at least not yet)

Others please feel free to chime in as well.

K
Old 13th May 2016, 19:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

An important thing to keep in mind is to clean the 2T tank on regular intervals. I almost learnt this the hard way when the 2T pump on my RD 200 stopped working due to dirt in the feeder pipe which was blocking the oil supply.

Also, its better to check if the silencers are smoking befors riding the bike.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 23:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The RD350 oil pump has a good reputation for reliability but before relying on it to lube your engine make sure it is working.

This video shows the pump with the engine running.
Notice the gear is turning and the shaft at the front is pulsing.

Also note, the cable connected to the volume cam. This is connected to the throttle so the pump is automatically set to the right amount of oil to pump.
Twisting the throttle grip should cause the cam to rotate. If it doesn't, find out why. A previous owner may have disconnected the cable or replaced the throttle cable with one that doesn't also have the oil pump cable.

There are a number of posts on the web which describe how to adjust the oil injector pump on the RD350 and they are worth checking if the pump is going to be used.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks