Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 15:46   #1
BHPian

TVS Scooty Streak - Starting problem

Hi Guys,

My TVS scooty streak has recently come from service last week. In service the carb, along with the air filter was cleaned.
Post servicing I am facing an issue with running the scooty.
Whenever I start the scooty, it idles for a while but as soon as I open the throttle to move forward, the engine gets killed.
The condition gets better if I play around and raise the idling but only for sometime, later again the engine stops.
it sounds and feels like the engine is getting choked and stopping.

Few pointers:
Idling is not low but normal.
I have checked the fuel line and pumped out any air which might have been there, petrol is flowing fine.
I have changed the spark plug adapter and it worked for last 3 days but today morning it again conked off.
Sparg plug seems to be fine but planning to replace and see.

PS: While this issue happens, the electric start cranks but fails to start, I have to kick start it.

Please help.

Thanks
Adhiraj

Last edited by adhiraj : 16th May 2016 at 15:48.
Old 16th May 2016, 22:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TVS Scooty Streak - Starting problem

Though this isn't the right solution, try disconnecting the electric choke wires. It helped me on few occasions after water wash and couple of days later everything working fine.
Old 16th May 2016, 22:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

The carb is tuned lean, set the air fuel mixture to normal and check. Also check if the float level has been tampered with. This is a carb setting issue.

Alternate solution use choke and compensate.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 00:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The carb is tuned lean, set the air fuel mixture to normal and check. Also check if the float level has been tampered with. This is a carb setting issue.

Is there any way/statistic to confirm if carb is indeed tuned lean? My friend faced the same issue (along with lack of acceleration, and engine feeling choked) but the service guys say that the mixture is rich.

Sorry for the noob question.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Streak comes with Auto choke / electric choke. I hope we couldn't do it manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
Is there any way/statistic to confirm if carb is indeed tuned lean?
Spark plug color is one visual identification.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: TVS Scooty Streak - Starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
IMy friend faced the same issue (along with lack of acceleration, and engine feeling choked) but the service guys say that the mixture is rich.
Highly unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Streak comes with Auto choke / electric choke. I hope we couldn't do it manually.
---
Spark plug color is one visual identification.
Yes spark plug color is an indication of how the tune is.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Usually the stalling when only trying to move the vehicle vs normal running in idle indicates lack of fuel in the burning chamber.

There is a choke lever, can you check if its stuck. Also try opening the petrol tank cap for few seconds while you test it again. Trying to eliminate any air lock in case.

Lastly when was the last time the battery was changed. Could it be insufficient power reaching the spark plug. Symptoms points to poor fuel supply or insufficient power.

Check carb, connection from Carb to engine( any leaks), the breather tube in Carb if its clogged, and check battery connection and battery strength.
Old 17th May 2016, 13:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Whenever I start the scooty, it idles for a while but as soon as I open the throttle to move forward, the engine gets killed.
The changeover from the idle jet to the main jet is the issue.

I am afraid you will have to get the carb cleaned again and tuned.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 13:43   #9
BHPian

Post Edited: Please avoid using bold while quoting and replying. Affects readability. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Though this isn't the right solution, try disconnecting the electric choke wires. It helped me on few occasions after water wash and couple of days later everything working fine.
Checked the choke, its fine.

Quote:
Carb was tuned lean, then was tuned rich for this issue, didnt help much so retuned back to lean again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Usually the stalling when only trying to move the vehicle vs normal running in idle indicates lack of fuel in the burning chamber.
There is a choke lever, can you check if its stuck. Also try opening the petrol tank cap for few seconds while you test it again. Trying to eliminate any air lock in case.

There is no external choke lever in Scooty Streak.

Lastly when was the last time the battery was changed. Could it be insufficient power reaching the spark plug. Symptoms points to poor fuel supply or insufficient power.

No issues with battery, checked with voltmeter, connectors are good and distilled water is also in level.

Check carb, connection from Carb to engine( any leaks), the breather tube in Carb if its clogged, and check battery connection and battery strength.
Regarding the air lock, yesterday I had opened the fuel cap and kicked the lever few times. Post which it started immidiately and ran without any hitch for 30kms.
Then the issue reappeared today morning.
Tried the fuel cap trick, but this time it did not help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The changeover from the idle jet to the main jet is the issue.
I am afraid you will have to get the carb cleaned again and tuned.
I too have a hunch that this is the issue since it cropped up only after the last service where they opened up the carb and cleaned it.But another local mech said that spark plug is the culprit.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th May 2016 at 18:16.
adhiraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 14:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But another local mech said that spark plug is the culprit.
Spark plug shouldn't be intermittent at least with this symptom. Take out the spark plug and see if there is any space between the pin and the body. Clean it with simply cloth should do. Best bet is to get another spark which you can anyway use as spare and test it.

Removing the carb is not a problem as long as you have done it before. I clean my carbs and its not a difficult job nor adjusting those idle and mix. There should be a screw on the carb which you can adjust to make it richer in fuel. You may want to try that or simply increase the idling of the bike and see if that helps.
Old 17th May 2016, 16:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
it cropped up only after the last service where they opened up the carb and cleaned it.But another local mech said that spark plug is the culprit
If the vehicle is running fine on idle , the spark plug is perfectly fine.

I would recommend you get the carb cleaned again.

This issue cropped up in my pep less than 100km after service - on 2 occasions - and it was clear that the "authorised" technicians hadn't cleaned the carb well.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 18:19   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Carb was tuned lean, then was tuned rich for this issue, didnt help much so retuned back to lean again.
By rich you mean richer and back to normal setting? Tune can be kept 1/4 turn to rich from optimum for best results across usage.

But if this is not the case, then you need to check carb cleaning and the idel transition. Also how is the cold idle compensated, check that circuit also for proper working.

Another thing you can try is, if you have fuel tap on the bike. Leave it open for 15-20 seconds before cranking.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 22:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
If the vehicle is running fine on idle , the spark plug is perfectly fine.

I would recommend you get the carb cleaned again.

This issue cropped up in my pep less than 100km after service - on 2 occasions - and it was clear that the "authorised" technicians hadn't cleaned the carb well.
@ vigsom, this was not done at ASC, this work was done by an FNG mech. The scooty showed signs of roughness and lack of brake bite, so gave it to @ FNG for a quick tightening of brakes but he did a "full service" with carb cleaning and hence the issue.
adhiraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 00:49   #14
BHPian

Have been facing the same issue as OP on My BS4 TVS Ntorq for quite a few time but neglected it since it is only used for errands but now it's becoming quite a nuisance.
It has only clocked 2k kms in 1.5 years.
When I turn on the engine, idle it for a minute or two and then engage the throttle the scooter doesn't accelerates and the engine gets killed.
What is causing the problem?
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:44   #15
BHPian

I had similar issue with Scooty Zest and the mechanic at TVS ASC said air filter was clogged and replaced it, and it worked fine after that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks