Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 18:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Pulsar Retro by Rudy Gunawan - What's not to like?

A custom bike builder from Indonesia, Rudy Gunawan, has aced this conversion of a normal Pulsar to an oh-so-sweet pocket rocket. Every detail is perfect.

I would pay money for that thing!

Enjoy the pics

Front 3 quarter view
Bajaj Pulsar Retro by Rudy Gunawan - What's not to like?-bajajpulsar220fmodifiedintoretroclassicinindonesia7.jpg

Rear 3-quarter
Bajaj Pulsar Retro by Rudy Gunawan - What's not to like?-bajajpulsar220fmodifiedintoretroclassicinindonesia1.jpg

Radiator detail
Bajaj Pulsar Retro by Rudy Gunawan - What's not to like?-bajajpulsar220fmodifiedintoretroclassicinindonesia5.jpg

The sweet tank
Bajaj Pulsar Retro by Rudy Gunawan - What's not to like?-bajajpulsar220fmodifiedintoretroclassicinindonesia2.jpg

Borrowed, but perfect speedo
Bajaj Pulsar Retro by Rudy Gunawan - What's not to like?-bajajpulsar220fmodifiedintoretroclassicinindonesia4.jpg

RHS rear 3-quarter
Bajaj Pulsar Retro by Rudy Gunawan - What's not to like?-bajajpulsar220fmodifiedintoretroclassicinindonesia6.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th May 2016 at 18:04. Reason: Removing duplicate pic :)
sridhu is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 08:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bajaj Pulsar Retro by Rudy Gunawan - What's not to like?

Good to see a custom Pulsar build which is not an SBK-wannabe.

But since you specifically asked what is not to like, I feel compelled to list down the things I liked, and those that I did not!

What I liked:
- Retro concept (something different on a Pulsar platform)
- Good colour combo / graphics on the body and seat
- Lights and speedometer assembly is well-integrated
- Bike looks purposeful

What I did not like:
- The alloy wheels and aftermarket dual discs at the front do not gel well with the retro theme. A set of aluminium rims with spokes and a classic solid disc rotor - single piston caliper combo would have suited the bike better.

- The thick exhaust sticks out from the overall slim build of the bike. A non-slanting design with a British bottle type silencer or something like the old Jawas had, would have been better.
- The radiator shroud looks like an after-thought and as it is totally disjointed from the tank, it sticks out. I would have deleted it.
- The short silencer and the rear mudguard / seat gives a disproportionate feel to an otherwise good looking bike. I would have fixed a full rear mudguard and removed that rear hugger / number-plate holder which again spoils the clean design.
- The all-black theme of the engine, engine covers, wheels and cycle parts hides all the elements in those area. I would have preferred a buffed finish on all the cylinder, a black / gold cylinder head, a buffed engine case, light silver engine covers and a golden / silver finished chain / sprocket to make it pop a bit.
- I may also have gone for a rear drum set-up or a small, solid rotor at the rear as well to complete the classic look.
- The rear view mirrors, although decent - can't help wondering if they would have suited the theme better in a chrome / clear metal finish.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2016 at 12:24. Reason: typo fixed
Viju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 08:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice attempt for retro theme.
Few things that look odd to me.
  • Dual disc brakes at front appear too big whereas rear disc is comparatively small. Discs of same size on both wheels would appear perfect.
  • Dual discs at front seems to be overkill for the power bike generates.
  • Tyres appear too wide for a pocket-rocket. Is rear tyre bigger than front OR is it the camera angle that is making it feel that way?
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 14:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

This is one nice looking retro edition of the Pulsar 220!

To be honest, it has more of a scrambler look than that of a classic retro. Although, some of the classic bits are missing.

IMHO the custom shop doesn't seem to have gone all-out on making the bike look retro. The DTS-i engine badging could have been avoided. The badging just makes the bike more generic rather than unique.

Huge exhausts! Smaller exhausts could do, (probably with black accents?) even if it led to making the bike a little loud, that would be totally fine.

Larger round headlamps would have suited the bike better.

Enough complaining!

The pros outweigh the cons.

Love the colour combination! The fuel tank with the cladding looks quite sleek.

I won't complain about the huge discs at the front, aesthetically they don't matter to me.
Wider rear tyre, any day a delight to ride. Lean on!

The seat is perfect! Can't think of any other combination working here.
The speedo is a nice touch (trying to keep it cool).

All in all, a sweet ride. Considering the amount of hard-work that goes into customisation of a bike, this is one commendable effort.
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed