Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2021, 02:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Activa DIY: Headlight upgrade and LEDs for indicators + tail lamps

Any links for sourcing an LED stop light bulb for the Activa ? I've converted the headlight, speedo and tail light to DC so I want to reduce load on the battery by reducing wattage on the tail lamp by converting it to LED.
Also which flasher relay would be required to do the same for the indicators ?
I replaced the headlight bulb with a cheapo fanless LED which was actually decent in terms of colours, spread, hotspot etc. The glare also isn't too bad, somehow can't find the right spot on the headlight to cover with tape to reduce it.
I used it for over a year but then I got greedy and swapped it with an Osram 45/40W and it's actually worse than the LED ! Also it's a heavier drain on the battery so I'm going to swap back to the LED
Old 7th February 2021, 07:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Anybody doing this LED upgrade in Bangalore? We have a 20 year old Activa with an Osram light beam, we cant see
Old 7th February 2021, 11:46   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Any links for sourcing an LED stop light bulb for the Activa?
Any P21/5W LED bulb should help you decrease the load on the electricals.

Quote:
Also which flasher relay would be required to do the same for the indicators?
When I was converting to LED in the indicators, I had bought a regular flasher relay but I didn't use it since the LED was functioning normally in the stock circuit without any 'hyper-flashing' - Link to the post.

Quote:
I used it for over a year but then I got greedy and swapped it with an Osram 45/40W and it's actually worse than the LED! Also, it's a heavier drain on the battery so I'm going to swap back to the LED
HS1 is the bulb type, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Anybody doing this LED upgrade in Bangalore? We have a 20-year-old Activa with an Osram light beam, we cant see
LED in a reflector setup will blind the oncoming motorists and the light will scatter troubling the visibility further. Before selling my Activa 125, for a brief period I did try an LED bulb in it and mind you, was the worst of all the bulbs I had tried in it. The trial lasted for 15 kms, came home and reverted to stock halogens.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 02:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Actually I'm looking for a link for the P21/5W bulb, I can't seem to find one.
About the flasher relay, mine is an Activa 110 which came out before the 2g so I doubt it will be directly compatible with LED turn signals while your 125 already has a few leds which is why it might have worked out.
Yes the bulb is an HS1. The LED bulb is an H4 but it still fit without any modifications to the holder. The actual light was surprisingly not bad in terms of scatter and blinding. I did make sure to use the adjustment screw to set it at the lowest level however to minimize this. Ideally the "bad" bit of light by my estimation would be completely eliminated with a single strip of tape across the headlight but the weird thing is no matter if I cover the upper or lower part of the headlight dome, the light pattern still stays the same !
I'm definitely switching back to the led though as even the higher wattage halogen was quite hopeless along with the high battery drain. I almost ran out of battery on a 2hr night ride even with precautions and conservative useage.

@ Sebring if you can convert the headlight to DC then you could give the Osram LED HS1 a shot for 500 odd bucks
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks