Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2006, 14:22   #1

hi guys,
i am located in mumbai.i own a comet. and for the past few days am facing a problem.my comet doesnt go beyond 80 km/hr. i always had
serviced regularly. i also gave it for servicing now still it doesnt help.
plz guys from mum help me out.
Old 4th October 2006, 18:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

what about the rpm needle? does that go all the way or does that get stuck mid-way as well?

manson.
Old 4th October 2006, 18:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

You need to be more specific of the symptoms. What do you mean by "only reached 80"? Does it start stuttering after that? Does it idle smoothly? Give us some more details if you want us to try and help.
Old 4th October 2006, 21:24   #4

hi ,
ok, now to be more specific, at full throtle the rpm is stuck at 8 while
the speed is only 80km/hr.i even hear some stuttering wen i try to pull the bike above 40km/hr in the 1st,2nd and 3rd gears. wen i accelerate the bike in neutral she grumps a lot and also the clutch seems to be very hard
if possible plz help. thanks a zillion in advance.
Old 4th October 2006, 21:44   #5
BHPian

problem on cylinder

hay dude the problemz on one of ur cylinders check out both the cylinders itz workin or not????
Old 4th October 2006, 21:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

dude i think its time to change your clutch plate.
Old 5th October 2006, 00:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

First, go to a reputed mech. Check the compression on both cylinders with a compression gauge. Tune the carb. Clean the air filter. Check the plugs. Set the clutch. Then check it out again. From the sound of it, you might have a fried clutch, but just make sure before opening up the internals. There could be other factors as well, since the Comet revs upto 9K in first 3 gears easy.

How many kms have you run total? Is the bike still under warranty?
Old 5th October 2006, 09:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
wen i accelerate the bike in neutral she grumps a lot
This rules out the possibility of a clutch problem (though I have no idea what you mean by "grumps").

The hard clutch could just be a case of lubing the clutch cable.

Quote:
at full throtle the rpm is stuck at 8 while
Quote:
i even hear some stuttering wen i try to pull the bike above 40km/hr in the 1st,2nd and 3rd gears.
The idea is to first check and rule out the most obvious things
1: Air filter. Take it out and check if it is clogged. I had an incident once where a plastic bag was sucked into the airbox causing the bike to die out at higher rpm's.

If the air filter is clean and not obstructed, then move to step 2 which is, as samybravo said, most likely that one of your cylinders is not firing. take out the plug from one cylinder, hold it to a metal surface (cylinder head) and press the starter button. You should see a decent spark. Repeat this for the 2nd cyl. as well.

- first alternate the plugs from the 2 cylinders and try again.
if you still have no spark, then the problem could be anywhere from the plug cap all the way upto the coil. In this case, if you know where everything is located, do a visual check to see that all wires etc are all in place and nothing is loose. If that checks out OK, its best you take it to the Kinetic guys.

Keep us updated.
Old 5th October 2006, 11:35   #9

hey guys,
thanks a million again for all ur help and suggestions. have tried most of the steps wich u guys said, bt will try one more time step by step as rtech said. bt if anymore suggestions, guys plz lemme know.
thanks again
Old 5th October 2006, 14:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Rtech: Erm...how can one find out if the clutch is fried by revving in neutral?
Old 5th October 2006, 14:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Veyron, what I said was that as he is facing the same problem even when he is in neutral, it probably rules out a clutch issue. If the engine was revving fine in neutral, then yes, it could be the clutch.
Old 5th October 2006, 16:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have a friend who has a comet and a clogged carb can ruin ur entire week or mood .Does your bike spew exhuaust gases like a desiel car ? then the carb is clogged .also check the fuel line ,it might have been blocked .
Old 5th October 2006, 17:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you dont know what you are doing ,dont even try to touch the carb ,not even try .
Take it a experienced person and offcourse not the kinetic mechs ..you know that right .
Old 5th October 2006, 20:04   #14

hi,
no black12rr, the bike doesnt emit any smoke nor does it makes any sound wen normal. its only wen i give her some acceleration tht she seems to make some sound which sounds wierd and looks as if someone is forcing her to make tht sound. i lubed the clutch plate and the cable today. lets see wht happens, 2marow i wiil clean and tune the carb wid the help of an experiecd mech as the carb is a buttterfly carb and its very tough to get the settings in the right place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks