Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2016, 01:40   #1
BHPian

TVS Jupiter vs Hero Maestro Edge

Hello bhp-ians, I'm looking forward to buy a new Automatic Gearless scooter for myself, for my Intra-city/local market commutes. I've shortlisted two 110cc scooter I.e TVS Jupiter & Hero Maestro Edge. Priorities include comfortable ride, Good braking, Good fuel efficiency & Reliability, of course.
We're already having Honda Activa in our family which other members use, so planning to change a brand this time as heard these 2 scooters are better built & more fuel efficient, as claimed.
Old 23rd October 2016, 04:48   #2
BHPian

re: TVS Jupiter vs Hero Maestro Edge

IMO, you can't go wrong with either. I have both these scooters used by family members and friends, and both of them have been diligently doing the mundane tasks they're made to do. I personally like the power delivery of the Maestro Edge a wee bit over the Jupiter.

You can also go through a comparo of the two scooters here, which might give you a better idea.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Hello bhp-ians, I'm looking forward to buy a new Automatic Gearless scooter for myself, for my Intra-city/local market commutes. I've shortlisted two 110cc scooter I.e TVS Jupiter & Hero Maestro Edge. Priorities include comfortable ride, Good braking, Good fuel efficiency & Reliability, of course.
We're already having Honda Activa in our family which other members use, so planning to change a brand this time as heard these 2 scooters are better built & more fuel efficient, as claimed.
Engine wise both are equally good. DO compare the headlight on both the vehicles. HMCL vehicles have a very poor light spread. I found the Jupiter to be very effective.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2016 at 12:23. Reason: Typo
girimajiananth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 01:07   #4
BHPian

Both are reliable and great runners. In my opinion, you don't have much to differentiate between then in terms of performance, mileage, reliability, serviceability. I'd suggest you to ride them both a few more times and find your comfort sweet-spot.

Personally I prefer the Jupiter among these two because of the following reasons:
- Jupiter is much more comfortable - far less bumpy and easy on the back. Rides like a bike.
- I prefer the handling & braking of Jupiter to any Honda/Hero Honda scooter except for the Aviator, which I feel is on par.
- Headlight performance is better on Jupiter. While Hero, TVS and even Honda now-a-days give crappy bulbs as OEM, I have upgraded to better bulbs on almost every two wheeler used by Family and friends, the TVSes respond the best - may be better reflector design or quality or both.
- Maestro looks bulkier. Jupiter looks much streamlined and doesn't look odd when ladies need to use the scoot.
MotoKris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 16:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Jupiter vs Hero Maestro Edge

I was in exactly the same situation 3-4 months back. Going through reviews, test rides and showroom staff behavior went ahead with the Jupiter. Very happy with it. Extremely stable and comfortable even when pushing it to the max. Also the new millennium edition has disc brakes as well and with beige panels which I am not a fan off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post

You can also go through a comparo of the two scooters here, which might give you a better idea.
IIRC this is the only review that said Maestro is better. All/most other reviews mentioned Jupiter is still better with regards to the engine and ride. Maestro Edge looks better though.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 24th October 2016 at 16:05.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 20:06   #6
BHPian

Using a Jupiter since last 1 year and 4 months.

It has the best features compared to any other scooter in this segment.

I get an average of 47 to 52 (full to full method) and its used only in main Mumbai traffic. I love the seat cushion on this a lot.

Apart from a blown headlight bulb in last monsoon, I have not paid anything extra for the scooter. Safely I can say its very very reliable. My wife has started using it a lot too. It's a very steady and smooth scoot.

After all free services I have decided to get it serviced every 6 months or 5000 kms.

Overall very happy with my decision.
Old 1st November 2016, 16:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
IMO, you can't go wrong with either. I have both these scooters used by family members and friends, and both of them have been diligently doing the mundane tasks they're made to do. I personally like the power delivery of the Maestro Edge a wee bit over the Jupiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I was in exactly the same situation 3-4 months back. Going through reviews, test rides and showroom staff behavior went ahead with the Jupiter. Very happy with it. Extremely stable and comfortable even when pushing it to the max. Also the new millennium edition has disc brakes as well and with beige panels which I am not a fan off.

IIRC this is the only review that said Maestro is better. All/most other reviews mentioned Jupiter is still better with regards to the engine and ride. Maestro Edge looks better though.
After Test Drives of both these scooters, I felt Maestro Edge is having more loud engine & more engine vibrations, which can be felt more at Floorboard than handlebar. What's in favour of Maestro Edge is better, new-age sporty styling & Integrated Braking system while Jupiter have simple, sober styling which can suit to both the genders & combi-braking in its DX version only as SYNC-braking which is having very little color choice.
Since, the festival season is over including the offers & charm to own a new thing is reduced, so taking some more time & few more options into the scene, I've now added Aprilia SR150 moto-scooter into the list.
Refinement is my priority, as we're used to smooth & silent Honda Activa in our family.
Old 1st November 2016, 18:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Refinement is my priority, as we're used to smooth & silent Honda Activa in our family.
Very few scooters can match Activa in that area!
From my experience, I have driven both Activa & Jupiter, and I would say Activa is the best when we talk about engine's smoothness.

Since we use either scooters primarily to run errands we feel the following features of Jupiter to be more suitable:
a) Big storage space - Can take a full face helmet
b) Multiple hooks to carry stuff - Activa has only one. Of course, you could add as many as you want after market.

Apart from this, I found the following advantages for Jupiter over Activa:
a) No need to lift the seat to fill petrol. You will realise the usefulness of this feature when you need to carry some important stuff under the seat, and you also have to fill petrol.
b) The indications on the console actually motivates one to drive in Eco mode, thus improving FE
c) I could easily take it to over 70 kmph, while in Activa it was difficult to do so (My opinion driving both scooters).
d) Seat height lower and the front of the seat is narrower, making it very comfortable to drive for short people.
e) Priced a few thousands lesser!

I have not driven Maestro Edge / Aprilla SR 150, so can't give inputs in that area.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 19:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
a) No need to lift the seat to fill petrol. You will realise the usefulness of this feature when you need to carry some important stuff under the seat, and you also have to fill petrol.
b) The indications on the console actually motivates one to drive in Eco mode, thus improving FE
c) I could easily take it to over 70 kmph, while in Activa it was difficult to do so (My opinion driving both scooters).
d) Seat height lower and the front of the seat is narrower, making it very comfortable to drive for short people.
Can't agree more. I remember buying Jupiter for my wife a couple of years back after considering exact these points and after taking test rides. My wife found it more ergonomic and easy to drive than Access, Activa. To add, the front of Jupiter fender is metal which gives some sort of protection in minor accidents as opposed to a plastic one as in activa-i and access. I noticed that most parts in Jupiter that are bound to collide are made of metal. So it adds to saftey.

Last edited by Shashankjk : 1st November 2016 at 19:18.
Shashankjk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 19:43   #10
BHPian

If you are considering SR150 and engine refinement is your priority then you should definitely check out Access. Engine is butter smooth and good amount of torque at disposal.
I have old Access. It does pass vibrations to handlebar at idling. Fibre body panels to blame. But once you twist the throttle, vibrations disappear. Engine is as smooth as Activa's if not better with bettet pick up, power and torque as it's 125CC.
Old 1st November 2016, 21:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

You can't go wrong with the Jupiter. Go for the Disk Brake version. Initially the Jupiter did not have a good response. The only people who bought it were the one who went to buy an Activa and came back disappointed hearing the waiting period. They just picked it up as a compromise. But within a short period, people started picking it up as a first choice. The Maestro has not taken advantage of the limited availability of the Activa.
Old 2nd November 2016, 00:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Very few scooters can match Activa in that area!
From my experience, I have driven both Activa & Jupiter, and I would say Activa is the best when we talk about engine's smoothness.

Since we use either scooters primarily to run errands we feel the following features of Jupiter to be more suitable:
a) Big storage space - Can take a full face helmet
b) Multiple hooks to carry stuff - Activa has only one. Of course, you could add as many as you want after market.

I have not driven Maestro Edge / Aprilla SR 150, so can't give inputs in that area.
Agreed, these points has made these points more clearer & will definitely help in making judgement precise & faster. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
Can't agree more. I remember buying Jupiter for my wife a couple of years back after considering exact these points and after taking test rides. My wife found it more ergonomic and easy to drive than Access, Activa. To add, the front of Jupiter fender is metal which gives some sort of protection in minor accidents as opposed to a plastic one as in activa-i and access. I noticed that most parts in Jupiter that are bound to collide are made of metal. So it adds to saftey.
Jupiter's front nose panel is made up of fibre & other panels like Lower panel, floor pan & side panels are made up of metal. Agreed to their advantage in reparability & Insurance claims aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
If you are considering SR150 and engine refinement is your priority then you should definitely check out Access. Engine is butter smooth and good amount of torque at disposal.
I have old Access. It does pass vibrations to handlebar at idling. Fibre body panels to blame. But once you twist the throttle, vibrations disappear. Engine is as smooth as Activa's if not better with bettet pick up, power and torque as it's 125CC.
Agreed on Suzuki performance & even seen its reliability. In fact, I like New Access 125 too but our Suzuki 2-wheeler dealership & service centre isn't much easily accessible from my place. Same reason for Yamaha range of scooters too.
Yes, considered Aprilia brand, as being high quality products, they might require lesser maintenance & hence frequent service centre visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
You can't go wrong with the Jupiter. Go for the Disk Brake version. Initially the Jupiter did not have a good response. The only people who bought it were the one who went to buy an Activa and came back disappointed hearing the waiting period. They just picked it up as a compromise. But within a short period, people started picking it up as a first choice. The Maestro has not taken advantage of the limited availability of the Activa.
Availability not an issue for any scooter now, as almost all of them are available on the spot.
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Availability not an issue for any scooter now, as almost all of them are available on the spot.
Activa still had around 6 months waiting in Goa. Jupiter used to be readily available last year. Seeing the number of Jupiters on the road now, I'm not so sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks