Team-BHP - Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/181224-mahindra-bringing-jawa-back-edit-launched-rs-1-55-lakh-24.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayan (Post 4498259)
So you are probably the first one in this thread reporting a booking of the Jawa.
Does the booking also allow you to change colours at some point before delivery ?

Will be nice if you and other members who own old Jawas post pictures here. Thanks.

Yes sir, you can change the color. I wrote to Jawa but never got a reply so called them. I was told we can change the color and the dealership too. But once you change the color the delivery date is subjective to the availability of the color. I also asked about the dealership because I would be taking the delivery in Vijayawada.

My reason for buying is very simple, I just want to surprise my mother and my uncles by bringing back some of their nostalgic memories they had with their father on a Jawa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhu_Bengaluru (Post 4498262)
Krishna can you please update your booking details in the following thread. Interceptor bookings are ruling the roost in that thread right now :).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-thread-4.html

Just did sir!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 4500124)
I personally believe this “Mojo-engine” hype is a bit over the top, but hey, that’s just me.

The hype is there because people who have rode it or have friends who ride it know its really reliable, if maintained well. I have one and have done about 36K kms (80% city and 20% highway) and lately the engine just feels like its built to last. There were few niggles initially which were faced by owners including me. Issues like tensioner going bad, electrical issues especially the ODO meter (the most shi**y part), O2 sensor going kaput, bike not starting after shutting off at singals, engine shutting off abruptly while riding etc..
For me, most of the issues are sorted out and the bike rides like a charm and still puts a smile on my face when the red lights turn green :D
There are people who have clocked a lot more miles than me but they don't have the time to report their experiences as they are busy riding most of the time unlike me..
The only reason I might sell it (if I do) would be for an upgrade since as we all know petrol-heads always crave for more power and once they get used to their rides they wish for more :uncontrol

Quote:

For a motorcycle whose life was about 3 years during which it never reached 3-figure sales in any month (I could be wrong, But I believe it’s sales milestone was 97 in a month when the numbers went past the CBR 250), this “Mojo Engine is a superior product” is turning out to be an interesting urban legend.

Is this based on fact or actual experience? Did that motorcycle ever do any half decent volume for its engine to be spoken about in such lofty terms?

I personally believe this “Mojo-engine” hype is a bit over the top, but hey, that’s just me.

The low sales numbers of Mojo may be more due to the failure of Mahindra’s marketing strategy than the bike itself and certainly not due to any shortcomings in the engine.

I am riding a Mojo from mid-December 2015 and have done close to 45,000 kms so far - out of that, about 5,000 kms were in Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh. There were no issues with the engine, even after 10 continuous days of 8 to 10 hour rides on challenging roads in each of these locations.

In the recently concluded 2018 Raid de Himalaya,2 Mojos participated - one finished 2nd in Moto Adventure and the other finished 22nd in Xtreme Moto.
The small numbers of Mojos running around may raise some doubts about the bike or the engine,but the actual experiences indicate that the bike and the engine are very sturdy and reliable.

The problems reported in the Mojo groups are related to the electrical & electronic components - as mentioned by Funny. On my bike, the speedo console and the ECU malfunctioned when the bike had run about 23,000 kms (replaced free under warranty) and now the O2 sensor has gone bad.

Quote:

For a motorcycle whose life was about 3 years during which it never reached 3-figure sales in any month (I could be wrong, But I believe it’s sales milestone was 97 in a month when the numbers went past the CBR 250), this “Mojo Engine is a superior product” is turning out to be an interesting urban legend.

Similar to how Abarth Punto remained an "Urban Legend", which never sold in triple digits however everyone went gaga over that T-Jet.

Classic legends have a potential machine in their stable.

My thoughts,
- They should have first set up the showrooms and then launched the vehicles. The interest has build up well!
- They have replicated the retro look to a greater extent to my liking. The black plastics around the battery box (below the seat) is a cover and I would like to see how it ages.
- They will definitely sell in numbers, considering the fact that UM Lohia can sell their 250cc singles in various forms with not much background. This will do much better!
- Some features are stripped like rear disc etc. But they'll eventually come in future iterations. So just wait and watch.
- Service & maintenance will decide the life of the products
- I like the Jawa 42 (country code of Czech Republic +42) Nice urban retro iteration.
- The credit goes to Royal Enfield for creating the segment and making it successful.

Jawa has a lot of good vibes and hope it succeeds. Nothing can hold back a good product.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinprakas (Post 4498424)
RE350: 70*90 = Long Stroke
Peak Torque: 4000RPM
Peak Power: 5250RPM

JAWA: 76*65 = Short Stroke
Peak Torque: 5500RPM
Peak Power: 7500~8000RPM

From the looks of it the RE350 doesn't stand a chance against the Jawa, unless the buyer has a push-rod fetish!(me..me..me!!!)

But even then I'd still consider the Jawa considering that the motor in question has gone through almost half a decade of R&D and Mahindra motorcycles having a reputation of stellar part quality.

On the other hand, based on what you have posted: Enfield has LONG STROKE as well as torque being developed at lower RPMs which is exactly what most commuters / tourers require.

We are not going to be racing these machines in and out of the corners that we need torque figures sitting so high up in the RPMs.

Mahindra, you need to work on the engine to make it less sporty and more friendly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 4500859)
On the other hand, based on what you have posted: Enfield has LONG STROKE as well as torque being developed at lower RPMs which is exactly what most commuters / tourers require.

We are not going to be racing these machines in and out of the corners that we need torque figures sitting so high up in the RPMs.

Mahindra, you need to work on the engine to make it less sporty and more friendly.

For educational purposes.

For a balanced machine i.e a tourer you'd need a bore*stroke ratio of 1.

With the Royal Enfield 350 it is at 0.70 and for the Jawa it is at 1.17, now you don't need a calculator to find out which would serve as a better tourer.

Cheers,
A.P.

Regarding the Mojo engine, I had a Mojo rider as a company when riding from Hyderabad to Bangalore on my Versys 650. He was quite fast and mantained high triple digit speeds for long stretches. He was only a few minutes behind me on all stops. Hence I believe that the Mojo engine is a good performer.

Quote:

Is this based on fact or actual experience? Did that motorcycle ever do any half decent volume for its engine to be spoken about in such lofty terms?

In a market like India which is, on one hand extremely price sensitive, and on the other, snobbishly brand conscious, is 'number of products sold' really the right criteria to judge quality of the product at all?

Mojo happens to be the only bike for which I haven't come across some owner frustrated with the bike to the extent of trashing it. Not to mention every owner talks glowingly about the DOHC engine.

Also when there are other clear factors like controversial looks, bad brakes, lack of ABS, lack of good to have slipper clutch, undercut in price by Dominar; I wonder why one would specifically choose the engine to blame for low sales volumes. Especially when DOHC engines are known to be quite refined across manufacturers, and owners confirming it (rather swearing by it, online or offline). Wait, I think i can see why.

Took the plunge and booked a maroon- Jawa on friday. Got the booking certificate as well on the mail.

Booking number is 1371, not sure if that is for Pune or nation wide.

Congrats on the booking of classic Jawa . The booking from my understanding is nationwide. Mine is 2449 but the date of booking as a prefix and it’s for a Jawa 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayakrishnan_v (Post 4501306)
Congrats on the booking of classic Jawa . The booking from my understanding is nationwide. Mine is 2449 but the date of booking as a prefix and it’s for a Jawa 42

Interesting, didn't know that. Any basis or source for that booking number logicr? But it makes sense - mine's 2800. Kinda short sighted, considering they'll soon pass 9999 very soon.

Edit: Clearly the 42 is moving faster than the Jawa. But only ~1500 bookings till date for the Jawa? That's pretty bad numbers IMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4497321)
Hopefully that doesn't mean testing has been skipped.

Good that you mentioned this.

This is the major reason I am holding my purchase till a proper review is done/seen.

Any insights on how extensively these bikes were tested will add on to customer confidence. ( Just like how TATA is doing with Harrier )

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatalli (Post 4501314)
Interesting, didn't know that. Any basis or source for that booking number logicr? But it makes sense - mine's 2800. Kinda short sighted, considering they'll soon pass 9999 very soon.

Edit: Clearly the 42 is moving faster than the Jawa. But only ~1500 bookings till date for the Jawa? That's pretty bad numbers IMO

Yes I mentioned this as I know a friend of mine booked Jawa grey classic and his number was around 967or so where the booking date was 17th of November and his colleague who booked the 42 on the same day got some 2336 or so as his booking number. These made me think there is a separate booking sequence number per model. Moreover since we are booking in the website and nondeqlershipnis allocated yet I don’t think they have done anything to have a separate booking number per state based on the address we give at the online booking time

Time for a little nostalgia boys!
Here's an old ad for Jawa...Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1543242148.106436.jpg