Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2016, 00:34   #1
BHPian

Twin-cylinder Motorcycle: Which one?

I own a Yamaha FZ-S since 2012. Now I'm planning to upgrade it for some more powerful mean machine that can take my biking experience to another level, so I'm seeking a Good Twin-cylinder engined bike. Displacement wouldn't be an issue, but feel & a good quality product are my priorities with a niggle-free experience, as I don't want to visit the service centre for minor setup changes/issues. I want my product to be technically sound.

I'm having the Kawasaki Ninja 300, Harley Davidson Street 750 & Triumph Bonneville T100 & T120 in my mind, but the last two are a bit out of my budget.

So please suggest me good options out of these or any other option which I might be skipping.

Btw, I'm not much aware of the performance, feel & ownership experience of the TNT-Benelli 300. Can anyone throw some light on this?

When are the Twin cylinder bikes from Honda (CB-250RR) & Suzuki (GSX-250R) expected ? I can wait for even next 6-months, if they're really coming here in India.

(This could be a parallel purchase to the moto-scooter which I need for strict city commute as posted in another thread or either of them can be the first, depending upon the urgency of the requirement)

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2016 at 10:28. Reason: Typos
CRtorquefan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd November 2016, 01:40   #2
BHPian

re: Twin-cylinder Motorcycle: Which one?

If you can highlight what sort of riding you do, what are your needs and wants then it would get easier. Personally to me Ninja 300 or Yamaha R3 are excellent options.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2016 at 10:29. Reason: Removing quoted post
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 02:03   #3
BHPian

why not a Ninja 650? Twin Cyl, plenty of power, big bike feel and is almost an all-rounder (touring, trackdays, city riding). Plus you wouldnt want to upgrade immediately from it in a few years. The 2017 model coming to India soon is a stunner and comes loaded with ABS and slipper clutch to boot.

If budget for new is an issue then you can get a decent used one for the price of a new R3/N300.
narula123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 08:34   #4
BHPian

Versys 650 the best bet and most practical for indian conditions!
Its a very good tourer with good suspension for bad roads and actually handles well for its height and weight. I Own one and brings a smile on my face every time i find a twisty road ahead. Leans with so much more confidence than my previous bike cbr 250 r though i did not expect this for its height.

Also, Has great torque and gives a decent 20(kmpl) even if ridden hard. ride sanely and you should see 25 as well. I was considering a z800 but the moment i test rode both on the same day I fell for the versys simply because of the package it delivers. Tank with 21l can easily see you through 400kms safely for touring!

Take it for a breakfast ride/take it to leh/take it to city this bike will not disappoint you.

also very agile for its weight. you only need to be carefull while handling it when it is not running (pushing) slight mistake and you could drop it.

Its weight when not running is the only disadvantage i can think of
hiran77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 08:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

I will also vote for Versys 650. Its a tad tall though and isnt 'silent'..silent killer.
Do also look at new Bonnies which are great practical bikes for daily ride too.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 09:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I will also vote for Versys 650. Its a tad tall though and isnt 'silent'..silent killer.
Do also look at new Bonnies which are great practical bikes for daily ride too.
Versys 650 - as already mentioned, seat height and it's weight may be a deterrent.

Bonnies - weight may be an issue during daily rides. And the heat.

I would say wait for the new Ninja 650 to be launched. Or go with Yamaha R3 - only disadvantage with that is lack of ABS, but I do understand the brakes to be powerful as mentioned in various reviews. FE is measly at 21kmpl.

Last edited by farhadtarapore : 2nd November 2016 at 09:28.
farhadtarapore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 10:50   #7
BHPian

Re: Twin-cylinder Motorcycle: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Or go with Yamaha R3 - FE is measly at 21kmpl.
Are you serious mate???

21 is something my 650 gives and that too when im flocking the daylights out of her. I expected the 300s to give upwards of 25-26 even with a heavy right hand.
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
21 is something my 650 gives and that too when im flocking the daylights out of her. I expected the 300s to give upwards of 25-26 even with a heavy right hand.
While flogging, my CBR-250R gives ~20 kilometers to a liter, which means, be it whatever gear, I am north of 7,000 revs every-time wherever I can.

Out while riding fast, doesn't give more than 25 kilometers to a liter.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
While flogging, my CBR-250R gives ~20 kilometers to a liter, which means, be it whatever gear, I am north of 7,000 revs every-time wherever I can.

Out while riding fast, doesn't give more than 25 kilometers to a liter.
WTH!!! Are you serious? I used to get nearly 31 at 7000 RPM & these days I'm cursing due to sudden drop in FE of about 25 Kmpl
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
WTH!!! Are you serious? I used to get nearly 31 at 7000 RPM & these days I'm cursing due to sudden drop in FE of about 25 Kmpl
Yes, you might be cruising on a long ride. I am talking about a canyon ride and have mentioned as to times, where the tacho stayed over 7 and till redline.

25kmpl is what I think I have managed, but I will be honest, I haven't exactly taken pains to calculate it, so I won't be firm on it
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you might be cruising on a long ride. I am talking about a canyon ride and have mentioned as to times, where the tacho stayed over 7 and till redline.

25kmpl is what I think I have managed, but I will be honest, I haven't exactly taken pains to calculate it, so I won't be firm on it
I have never got below 30 on my CBR even with staying on the red line for a long long time . But this was on highway though at higher gears. you might have to check for the overall condition of your bike maybe.
hiran77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you might be cruising...pains to calculate it, so I won't be firm on it
You're right; I was talking 31 Kmpl cruising on NH. Once I did a ride through SH, not grand canyons, but typical village roads where you cannot speed over 80 Kmph. I got 37 Kmpl!!

Once, not one but two CPRs, I & my friend rode from Kodi to Ulundurpet, a distance of 356 odd Km & we got a whopping 44.1 Kmpl on both the bikes. We were under 80 all the time & on ultra smooth roads.

PS - BTW, for past 6 months, something is wrong with the motorcycle, I'm getting the same FE as you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiran77 View Post
I have never got below 30 on my CBR...have to check for the overall condition of your bike maybe.
Agree with you strongly.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 23:49   #13
BHPian

Wow I get 30+ at minimum on my CBR. Even if I'm canyon carving. I guess I'll know how low it can go this weekend.

Gotta love that 300km tank range.
Old 4th November 2016, 09:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Coming on the FE part, I have D390. I used to get 23-23.5kmpl in Bangalore traffic. Out on highway steady 100-110kmph would give me 32-33KMPL. Flogging it around bend and redlining once gave me 29kmpl. But I understand the big bikes (over 600cc) don't give over 20kmpl.
Old 4th November 2016, 11:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Are you serious mate???

A fellow BHP'ian and Ninja 650 owner goes for multiple day drives with his friend on the Yamaha R3. Funnily though, at 4 lane empty highway cruising speeds - the N650 turns out to be more fuel efficient.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks