Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2016, 15:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Bullet 500: The quintessential Royal Enfield

Congrats Ajay on the new ride! I owned a Jan 2015 forest green bullet 500 which I sold a few months back. Very classy, laid back and elegant is how I always describe her!

Few pointers which may help you during the ownership:
1. Keep a watch on the crankcase breather pipe, its very prone to cracking
2. The carb on my bullet sometimes detached itself due to heavy suction while electrically starting it, just keep a watch
3. Service her 4 times in an year(each quarter), change oil after 6 months, stick to liquid gun from RE
4. I felt the sweet spot for cruising on the highway is 80 kmph (i'm 100 kilos)
5. Sprag clutch sometimes made lot of noise whiel starting, checked but nothing was wrong
6. The forest green color is a dust magnet, I almost cleaned my bike everyday with a soft cloth
7. The new generation of bullets/RE's are better engineered bikes, niggles compared to my 2009 Thunderbird were minimal

Lastly buy some cool gear from RE, its worth every penny and enjoy the thump

That's my ex at lavasa
Attached Thumbnails
Bullet 500: The quintessential Royal Enfield-bullet-500.jpg  

Last edited by Siddy : 11th November 2016 at 15:06.
Siddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 22:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Ajay, a small clarification from my end - My ride is a Standard 350 UCE. My comment on the Bullet 500 was based on my Brother in law's motorcycle.
Hi Adrian,

I am aware that you own a 350, I assumed you owned a 500 too, judging by your enthusiast's comment. Happy to have you around
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 14:39   #18
BHPian

Hi Ajay, Thanks a lot for sharing these details, this is very helpful. I am planning to pick up a Classic / Bullet shortly and would love to get the same treatment you got done.

Could you share the total cost? It will be helpful
Old 8th December 2016, 00:19   #19
BHPian

1000 km update

The bullet has crossed 1000 km and it has been a trouble free ride so far The first service was done at 550 km on odo, with basic engine oil change, oil filter and general checkups. The bill was around Rs.1080/- with engine oil costing around 700 bucks.

After the service the ride is smoother, and the exhaust got more deeper note. No false gear yet, or any electrical glitch even after keeping her under rain for two days. Cleaning the chrome parts is a chore and I cannot go rough due to fear of getting scratches. Any tips on cleaning chrome surface will be useful.

I wait for the water to dry off and spray the nuts and joints with WD-40 as a precautionary measure.

Took the bull for on a 100 km highway ride, and it felt at home. Pulled cleanly even with a pillion till 80, without losing breath. I was not comfortable to increase the speed as it's still in the Break-in process. I felt the ride was sublime at 80 kmph, it was like as though the bike and road had a harmonic vibration, which gave me the carefree attitude that many Enfield riders can relate to

Secret plan shh!

I have a trip in mind from Chennai to Kanyakumari, i.e 1,500km in four days. Now the only dilemma is whether I can put the bull through such a long distance when the odo is at 1,400km as of now. And also, can I change the oil and filter before the trip as I have read that the Liquid Gun is not that great? Do note that by the end of the trip I will be at the 3000km mark. So please suggest.

I have never been in a bike trip more than 300kms and I feel this will be quite a challenge for me, considering I have planned to do it solo. Now, the route is very familiar to me, as I have done countless trips by car.

I will update more regarding the trip.

Delay reply

The 3M protection flim cost me Rs.2,800. But you could get the tank and side boxes covered for 1000, and the tank for 600.
Old 8th December 2016, 01:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
1000 km update

The bullet has crossed 1000 km and it has been a trouble free ride so far The first service was done at 550 km on odo, with basic engine oil change, oil filter and general checkups. The bill was around Rs.1080/- with engine oil costing around 700 bucks.

After the service the ride is smoother, and the exhaust got more deeper note. No false gear yet, or any electrical glitch even after keeping her under rain for two days. Cleaning the chrome parts is a chore and I cannot go rough due to fear of getting scratches. Any tips on cleaning chrome surface will be useful.

I wait for the water to dry off and spray the nuts and joints with WD-40 as a precautionary measure.

Took the bull for on a 100 km highway ride, and it felt at home. Pulled cleanly even with a pillion till 80, without losing breath. I was not comfortable to increase the speed as it's still in the Break-in process. I felt the ride was sublime at 80 kmph, it was like as though the bike and road had a harmonic vibration, which gave me the carefree attitude that many Enfield riders can relate to

Secret plan shh!

I have a trip in mind from Chennai to Kanyakumari, i.e 1,500km in four days. Now the only dilemma is whether I can put the bull through such a long distance when the odo is at 1,400km as of now. And also, can I change the oil and filter before the trip as I have read that the Liquid Gun is not that great? Do note that by the end of the trip I will be at the 3000km mark. So please suggest.

I have never been in a bike trip more than 300kms and I feel this will be quite a challenge for me, considering I have planned to do it solo. Now, the route is very familiar to me, as I have done countless trips by car.

I will update more regarding the trip.

Delay reply

The 3M protection flim cost me Rs.2,800. But you could get the tank and side boxes covered for 1000, and the tank for 600.
Hey good to know that, good to know that, I just did that 4250 kms road trip over 11 days, taking my swift Zdi at last moment due to my friends, but trust me on whole trip I was thinking what if bullet 500 would have been there. So my trip started from Pune>bandipur>Ooty<>coonoor>Munnar>Madurai>Rameshw aram>Kanyakumari>kovalam>Allepey>Kochi>Wayanada>Ko lhapur>Pune. Trust me just because of peers I missed my bike and have to take my car. Only the thing I would have say is don't take beyond taken beyond 80 kmph on 5th gear or say sudden acceleration. Just go for it bro.
Old 8th December 2016, 03:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Ajay_the_Don
Unless they have changed the break in distances and speed limits in your Owners Manual, your Royal Enfield should have no problem running for long distances at speeds up to and exceeding 100 kmph now that it has been ridden over 1,000 km.

Although many find the engine runs smoother and the vibrations will continue to decrease as the distance increases beyond 1,000 km, at that distance, your 500cc Bullet is fully broken in and the only speed limits will depend on what you feel comfortable with.

I know your Bullet is filly capable of covering the distance of your planned trip without a problem.

If your motorcycle will be at 3,000 km at the end of your adventure, you've timed it exactly right.

My 500cc Bullet Owners Manual shows the first oil change should be at 500km and you have done that.
The next scheduled oil change and servicing is at 3,000 km. (Yes, the RE oil is totally capable of covering this distance without a problem.

As for cleaning your chrome and the painted surfaces, if you can find them, Microfiber towels work great.
Their small fibers seem to safely trap dirt and keep it from damaging chrome and paint as long as you don't try to use a really dirty towel.
(Oddly, don't be tempted to use a Fabric Softener when you wash a Microfiber towel. Fabric softener will reduce the fibers ability to safely trap dirt and keep it from damaging paint and chrome during future uses. Just wash the towels with a mild detergent in clean water and rinse thoroughly.)

My method of cleaning the paint and chrome on my RE is to lightly spray distilled water on the surfaces, let it sit for 15-30 seconds and then wipe it clean with a Microfiber towel using as little pressure as possible.
I turn the towel to a clean area and then proceed to spray and wipe the next area that needs cleaning.

I've done this for over 6 years and the chrome and paint on my RE looks almost like new.
I will add that about every 5-7 cleanings, I apply a modern car wax made for clear coat paint to both the paint and to the chrome.

(These modern waxes (like Meguiar's Gold Class auto wax) provide incredible protection and although they are expensive a motorcycle is such a small thing, a bottle of wax is enough for over a year.)

Don't forget to lube your chain before you leave and enjoy the trip.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 8th December 2016 at 03:33.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:41   #22
BHPian

8k km update

The Bullet has been a reliable ride so far. There is no oil leak any other issues. Yes, the bike felt heavy to maneuver in city traffic but I got used to it within few thousand km. The seating comfort is unmatched. I have so far spent only on regular service and chain lubes.

The bullet is kept as stock and classy. I tried the Shell Advance 15W50 for past few oil change and so far the bullet loves it. No skipping of gears or false neutral. No more is the need to shift to neutral before coming to a stop.

Also, I got the Steelbird Air Beast for city ride. The helmet is value for money and easy to carry around.

So far there has been no issues of any sort and I am happy with the ride. In fact I feel lucky to not face any issues known to trouble the RE.

Happy Riding!
Attached Thumbnails
Bullet 500: The quintessential Royal Enfield-unadjustednonraw_thumb_1.jpg  

Bullet 500: The quintessential Royal Enfield-unadjustednonraw_thumb_2.jpg  

Ajay_the_Don is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 17:46   #23
BHPian

Great going Ajay.

Nice to hear your niggle free experience so far with the Bullet. I agree B500 is the right choice if one wants a real old charm powerful bullet experience (Off course, can't be matched with CI engine notes, but still among the choices now).

I am sure one day I'll sure be riding a B 500
Old 24th September 2020, 17:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
8k km update

The Bullet has been a reliable ride so far. There is no oil leak any other issues. Yes, the bike felt heavy to maneuver in city traffic but I got used to it within few thousand km. The seating comfort is unmatched. I have so far spent only on regular service and chain lubes.

The bullet is kept as stock and classy. I tried the Shell Advance 15W50 for past few oil change and so far the bullet loves it. No skipping of gears or false neutral. No more is the need to shift to neutral before coming to a stop.
Hello Ajay,

Hope you are enjoying your Bullet 500 . Can you please update briefly your experience post your above post!
Thanks
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks