Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 19:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3

Congrats on the R3 mate! Loved your travelogue and pictures. Dada has done a lot of hard work to keep the balance of the bike intact even after so much of payload.
I also own an R3 and I agree to almost all the points here you mentioned. If you are in Bangalore, please take it to Bangalore Wheels for service. This is in Rajajinagar.
I have done about 2500Kms on the bike so far, out of which 1100 were in a trip to Padubidri (west coast). Excellent handling, by the way I switched to Michelin Pilot street on the day one.
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 19:57   #17
BHPian

Back in business huh buddy

BTW, its been ages since we met lets catch up sometime!
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 20:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Wow !

First of all, congratulations for the R3.

Many congratulations for completing your mega roadtrip to Tawang. Beautiful pictures and great log
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Congratulations on the R3 and great trip there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Congrats on the bike and some brilliant photos of the bike, yamaha can put them on their website
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Congrats on the R3! Lovely thread too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Excellent review and travelogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
Congrats on the R3 mate! Loved your travelogue and pictures. D
Thank you guys

Quote:
Are motorcycles allowed till Bumla? Any specific permits required?
Unfortunately we could not go to Bumla as we did not have a spare day to get the permits. So, yes, you can take the bikes up there with the permits. We were lucky enough only to visit the lake.

Quote:
How did the R3 fare? Any issues/niggles to report? Has the Error 19 issue resolved completely after the recall that happened last year? Did you face any Error 19 issue so far?
She was just brilliant all through. I have pushed her as much as I can push myself, both in terms of terrain and long distances, hasn't let me down so far (touchwood). The only thing I was worried about was scrapping the exhaust in those terrains, however, luckily not a touch but ended up scrapping her belly a couple of times in Kodachadri. (scratches on the exhaust pipe)

After the part replacement, no errors or any other issues.

Quote:
Please share the service costs, I am sure your R3 would have undergone 4 services so far (15000 kms of ownership). How much did the 4th (paid) service cost you? A cost breakup would really help prospective buyers
Quote:
You should also share all the service cost information which would be helpful for others
The 4th service is due. Will get it done in a couple of weeks.

1st Service: 0 (as I had got the Engine Oil and Oil Filter as a compensation)
2nd Service: (In Kolkata) -> 1300/-
3rd Service: (In Bangalore) -> 1800/-

So, the Engine oil is 450/- a liter (10W40) and it takes 2.2 liters. The Oil filter costs 360

The 3rd service after returning from the ride, replaced the air filter (550 I guess)

Quote:
Lastly, please post more pics from your weekend rides. I am specially interested in seeing pics from your Kodachadri ride
Yup, I will and working on a video too. Will upload shortly.

Quote:
I see you had to let go of the N300 because of expensive maintenance. How cheaper is the R3 to maintain comparatively? And is the scenario at Kawasaki still same post their divorce with bajaj?
A normal service (Engine oli, oil filter replacement) costs close to 3K. Not sure about the current scenario though.

Quote:
How's the pillion comfort on the R3? Tried any rides(100-200ish kms) with your better half?
The seat is narrow and not much of cushioning either (similar to the Ninja). So, I used to carry a make shift cushion. Haven't had the chance to take her yet. (probably after our little one gets slightly older)

Quote:
How would you rate the quality of parts on the KTM 390 compared to the R3?
You can't even compare honestly. The Yam is league's apart. Leave alone the paint or hoses, even the foot pegs are of high quality stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
I managed to ride an R3 sometime back and was really impressed with the overall package. It's an effortless machine and understands rider inputs perfectly. Very neutral handling and a rev-happy engine characteristic
Absolutely. Its a perfect blend with raw power tuned to the rider's mood.

Quote:
The Ninja too is a great bike with top quality parts hence probably the extra cost. I found the R3 better to live with and probably has more character within.
Second that.

Quote:
I was just on Yamaha site, and they have removed the R3 from the list of motorcycles being sold, can it be an indication, that maybe just maybe the ABS model will be incoming soon.
Yes, looks like they might bring in the BSIV variant and hopefully with the ABS.

Quote:
The parts cost which you have put up will be immensely useful for R3 owners. Kudos to that
Thank you

Quote:
I kind of envy you as my wife never allows me to ride the bike on long distances
Lol, depends on how good you're at convincing I guess. Keep trying, you might get a nod someday (cheers)

Quote:
Only one question, the R15 does not take bad roads very well and the cone set and bearing has to be either tightened/adjusted at regular intervals or replaced in some cases. Does that happen with R3 as well ?
Nope, you do not have to change anything. Just ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Good review Avi. Was actually skeptical about R3's behavior on those treacherous terrain. But was happy to see the bike gliding through all of them without any issues. Congrats again.
Thank you Santu. Who else could be a better judge than you

Btw when do you plan to complete the travelogue.

Quote:
Dada has done a lot of hard work to keep the balance of the bike intact even after so much of payload
Yup, he sure had and it showed during the ride. Masterclass from his side.

Quote:
Excellent handling, by the way I switched to Michelin Pilot street on the day one.
I might switch to Michelin's after my Leh ride. Gonna stick to MRF's for now.

Last edited by aviorp : 6th July 2017 at 20:47.
aviorp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 20:49   #19
BHPian

Avi - Congratulations on new Bike, looks awesome. Super writing

My only question - How do you remain awake for so many hours on your Day 1 ride. Don't you feel exhausted and sleepy. Riding without sleep, isn't it dangerous ??

I have been following another biker on you tube, Mumbiker Nikhil, that guy also does not sleep and rides continuously for long hours !! How is this possible ? I once drove from Chennai to Goa without sleep thru the night, felt so tired and sleepy by the time we reached GOA next day. So how do you manage ?

Last edited by virgovencat : 6th July 2017 at 20:50.
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 22:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Btw when do you plan to complete the travelogue.
First day ride travelogue will be up by Saturday and planning to update the thread daily with each day of ride. Content is ready and just segregating the photos.
Old 8th July 2017, 15:14   #21
BHPian

Hey aviorp,

Congratulations on the Blue one (best looking of the lot!), it looks cool!
Even I own a quarter liter Yamaha and would agree with most of your opinions about the brand.
The travelogue is great too, would be looking forward to hearing from you on this thread.
Cheers!!
337699gsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 23:14   #22
BHPian

Bhai, some rider you are. Iron butt is probably a fitting tag for you. We don't see threads with rides to eastern part of our beautiful country, it seems to be as mesmerizing as the other side of the Himalayas, which I'm fortunate to have visited. A similar ride or drive is on my bucket list now. Rated a 5 star
SamuraiJack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 11:56   #23
BHPian

My apologies for not updating this thread. Apart from the regular service, there is nothing much to report. The ODO is currently a little over 38K Kms. Have not done many rides in the last 2 years or so. Sharing some from 2017.

Photoshoot

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-_dsc5109_wm.jpg

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-_dsc5170_wm.jpg

Kodachadri

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-dsc_0783.jpg

Enroute Leh

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-dsc_0178.jpg

Paddar Valley

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-imag2217.jpg

Sinthan Top

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-imag2230.jpg

Khardung La

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-imag2322.jpg

Pangong Tso

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-imag2347.jpg

Ceramic Coating

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-ceramic.jpg

One ride to Chikmagalur in 2019

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-chikmagalur.jpg

One for the Album

Ride Hard, Ride Far - My Yamaha YZF-R3-_dsc5133_wm.jpg
aviorp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 15:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
My apologies for not updating this thread. Apart from the regular service, there is nothing much to report. The ODO is currently a little over 38K Kms. Have not done many rides in the last 2 years or so. Sharing some from 2017.
Hi aviorp,

That is a smashing bike!. I saw on another thread that you also own a Scorpio.

That must be two heavyweights to maintain .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks