Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2017, 10:29   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. EDIT: 1 year completed & long term ownership summar

Hey daretodream! I guess you have the most detailed long-term report of the Access 125! You have definitely inspired me to take this rare Suzuki seriously!

But I do have a few concerns-

1) There are many reports of engine failures on googling and I'm a bit worried! I see more complaints on regular sites and very few on the forums. Now I don't want to judge the owners by saying they were negligent but have you spoken to other owners at the SC? Were these issues caused because they didn't go for the recall?

2) Any idea on how matte colours age?

3) Is it easy to access to the carburettor and tune it? I see too many complaints about mileage and I believe it's due to half hearted attempts with tuning.

I wouldn't mind buying the Grazia but then the plastics feel a bit flimsy and having owned an Aviator for nearly 10 years, I'm pretty sure the plastics wouldn't age well!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 18:12   #107
BHPian

re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. EDIT: 1 year completed & long term ownership summar

5th Service Completed (1st Paid Service)
Date: 21st December Day: Thursday
Odo: 6861 Kms

Service Appointment Booking Experience
The recommend service due date was 6th Jan 2017. Since, I h'd vacation planned between 23rd Dec-2nd Jan and hectic work schedule after vacation- I preponed the servicing by 2 weeks. It is another thing that I had to cancel my vacation for personal reasons and we stayed in Namma Bengaluru for the Christmas-New Year and enjoying the traffic free roads while we can.

So, I just walked-in(drove to) Advaith Automation on 21st Dec at around 10:20AM. I had not taken service appointment as I was prepared for the rush and even prepared to collect scooter next day.
When I reached, I was attended in less than 5 minutes – service center supervisors were almost done with customers before me.
I was given an estimate for Rs 1400 and surprisingly asked to collect scooter by evening 5PM.
I'd planned to wait at Service Center and login to do my work. But the service center has nil airtel connectivity in basement and hardly any data is supported at stilt. I had to ask for Leave for the day.
I am not a person who likes asking for exceptions or favors. I met Mr. Venugoapl and had a warm chat. To pass time, I took test ride of Intruder 150 and Gixxer 150 - but I realized it will be excruciating difficult to pass whole day- I requested Mr Venugopal by 1200 whether he could expedite the servicing of my scooter. Thank you to Mr Venugopal, My scooter was ready in next 1 hour by 1PM.

Service Experience
Requests given:
  1. Check Engine Idling speed - I felt the idling was on higher side.
  2. Service adviser suggested to go for Waxing for Rs 200 and I agreed denied. I didn’t feel any difference last time- except seat was little more slippery. Also because white color doesn’t have the depth to show the waxing/polishing effect.
  3. Follow standard process recommended in the service manual as below:
    • Replace: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, Spark Plug
    • Inspect: Air filter paper Element, Valve clearance, Fuel Hose, Throttle cable play, Idle Speed, PAIR(air supply system), Drive Belt, Brakes, Brake Hose, Brake Fluid, Tyres, Steering, Front forks, Rear Suspension
    • Tight: Chassis bolts and nuts
    • Lubrication:
  4. Install Front Number plate. When I bought I had not opted for front number plate. I had got the number stickered on the front fendor. However, with Bangalore Traffic Police drive against illegal number plates- and stickered numbers on fendor declared as illegal, I was worried of being caught up and fined. So, I opted for this. I feel it is a compromise to the beauty of my Milky Bar- but I will live with it.
  5. Check rear drum brake as it was squeaking sometimes when I applied brake at slow speeds.
Actuals:
  1. Spark Plug was not changed. As per service advisor, the scooter is too new and in prime health and changing spark plug is an overkill.
  2. Engine Idling is reduced by a very small margin.
  3. Drive system (CVT) cleaned up
  4. Drum Brake and shoe cleaned up and play in the lever adjusted
  5. Front Number plate installed
  6. Engine Oil changed
  7. Gear Box Oil topped up

Service Bill Copy:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-access-5th-paid-service-bill.jpg

Scooter after the service:
The scooter is smooth as ever, peppier as ever and we both seem to be super happy with each other. I am in complete love with my scooter and it puts a smile on my face each time I ride it!

Some pics for you:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-servpic1.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-servpic2.jpg
daretodream is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 19:11   #108
BHPian

My Milky Bar has completed 1 year!
It has covered 69XX KMs in since I got delivery on 12th December 2016.

This post is to discuss:
  1. likes and dislikes
  2. different stats of the scooter(mileage, fuel costs, servicing costs)

My Milky Bar: On day -1:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-day1.jpg

My Milky Bar: On 1st Birthday
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-1.jpg

1. Engine: Engine is smooth and refined. Starts in 1-2 kicks every morning. I've stuck to 2 petrol pumps and regular fuel (not premium).
  2. Power Delivery: THe scooter feels so light yet powerful and biggest needle-mover of my satisfaction of my ownership. It pulls aggressively upto 70KMPH. I feel I can break off from the traffic pack every single time and weave through the gaps.
  3. Ride Quality: The ride quality is firm and not plush. I have realized that if I ride this scooter beyond 1 hour, my back pains. A 20 Km ride from HSR to WTC takes about an hour in peak traffic. Any longer and my back would complain. On smooth roads, ride can be borderline plush. On bad roads or when you go through bumps/potholes - the jerks do get transferred to your back. The ride is more pliant with a pillion (I drive solo 95% of time)
  4. Handling: The telescopic forks with 12 inch alloy wheel & disc brake give you enough confidence to push on clean roads upto 60-65 KMPH. At the same time, I am at the edge of my skills when I am riding at 70KMPH. Also, one has to very vigilant of the type of road surface- and I am very careful in gravel/sandy roads left after sun dries up the rain soaked roads. The turning radius is very small.
  5. Other points:
    • The headlights are proper for the city commutes - no need for auxiliary lights or to bulb upgrade.
    • The chrome circular mirrors are very nice and functional.
    • One of the best looking scooters- In white– its looks so pure & pristine.
    • Exhaust Note is best among the scooters.
    • Servicing experience has gone downhill as service center has stopped facility of Sunday service by apppointment.
    • Service center supervisor/mechanics don't follow the recommended part change - e.g. Oil strainer cleaning/replace; Spark Plug replace; GB only topped up instead of Replace. This has not affected the scooter performance to my perception- but I am not sure of long term.

WHAT COULD BE BETTER:
Features: I do miss Pass-Light switch and a Clock on the console. With Grazia launch, I also wish for a tacho meter for my scooter!

Foot Mat is very thin and doesn’t stay put. It is slightly damaged with usage. It was anyways of a very thin quality rubber and I am not surprised with it.
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-footmat.jpg

The black colour of right brake lever (front wheel, disc brake) has got eroded because of usage while the left lever is fine! I don't use gloves. It shows my more bias for front brakes and I think it is normal.
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-levelrs.jpg

Servicing: Service center doesn’t do some inspections/cleaning/replacements as suggested by manual even when you insist. I am not sure whether they are competent enough to do it or they don't want to do it because of huge volumes of vehicles coming for servicing.

INSURANCE RENEWAL
Typically I start getting calls from Insurance companies/agents 2 months before my car insurance expires. But, for Scooter insurance, I didn't get a single call.
I renewed the the last day of the 1st year of Insurance. I didn't invest much time in this as insurance premium amount was small. My original insurance was from Bharti Axa and I renewed online at Bharti Axa site for Rs 2095.
IDV: Rs 52835
Basic premium: Rs 902
NCB (205): -180
Depreciation Cover: Rs 184.92
Total Own Damage Premium: Rs 906.92

3rd Party premium: 720
PA to Owner/Driver: Rs 50
Unnamed PA cover to passengers(Rs 70000): Rs 98
Total Third Party Premium: Rs 868
GST 18% = Rs 320

TOTAL PREMIUM OF VEHICLE: Rs 2095

KEY STATS(As per app- Fuelio):
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-stats1.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-stats2.jpg

SERVICE COST:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-service-summary.jpg

ACCESSORIES BOUGHT:
Ladies footrest : Approx Rs 900
Buzzer: Approx Rs 90
Front Number Plate: Approx Rs 200

VERDICT
Am I happy?
Oh yes yes yes yes yes !!

Am I in awe of my scooter?
Hell Yes !!

Will I ever take it on highway?
No. I have no need for it.

Will I ever cross 70 KMPH on this?
No - It is my upper safety limit basis my skills (not scooter's).

Will I ever upgrade?
Yes. When BMW C 400 X is in India and I have money to indulge!
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-071510066103bmwc400xrevealedateicma3.jpg
Image source

So, BHPians and guests, me and my Milky Bar wish you and your family a safe and happy new year 2018!
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-2.jpg

Last edited by daretodream : 31st December 2017 at 19:20. Reason: Had missed to add Insurance details - an important part of ownership review
daretodream is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 12:21   #109
BHPian

Re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. EDIT: 1 year completed & long term ownership su

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Any idea what the New Access stock spark plug number and brand is?
I have no idea. My spark plug was supposed to be changed in the 5th Servicing. The Service Advisor told that Spark Plug was good and no need to change. I don't know things are really good or they declare its good without even checking it.
I will try to get this detail for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hey daretodream! I guess you have the most detailed long-term report of the Access 125! You have definitely inspired me to take this rare Suzuki seriously!
Thank you! I am glad if I can help fellow BHPians with feedback which can help with their purchase decision.

Quote:
1) There are many reports of engine failures on googling and I'm a bit worried! I see more complaints on regular sites and very few on the forums. Now I don't want to judge the owners by saying they were negligent but have you spoken to other owners at the SC? Were these issues caused because they didn't go for the recall?
I did not come across a single instance of engine failure when i did research for buying scooter 1 year ago. I have not seen/read any such instance after my purchase as well. At Service Center, customers who I've interacted with -
they are all coming either for regular maintenance or for accident related damage repairs.
Having said that, my sample is the customers going to Suzuki Service Center only and not the friendly neighbourhood mechanic shops.

My belief is that these Japanese scooters won't have any issue if we do regular preventive maintenance (oil change etc) every quarter and don't abuse the scooter - over loading/over revving/modifying etc.

Quote:
2) Any idea on how matte colours age?
I've seen previous generation (pre-2016 model) in matte grey coming for servicing - and I would say that its upto the owner to keep the scooter in good condition. I see some scooters are abused/not cared for and some in good condition. Where the owner is atleast getting the servicing done at regular intervals - the colour has stood the ground. The black plastic in some cases were faded to grey color - but again, more often in abuse cases than regular cases.
Quote:
3) Is it easy to access to the carburettor and tune it? I see too many complaints about mileage and I believe it's due to half hearted attempts with tuning.
I have not tried to do any carburettor tuning on my own - but as per manual, it is quite easy.
You can see post # 80 in this thread and also the pic below from my scooter's manual:

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-carb1.jpg

My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-carb2.jpg

My mileage numbers you can see in my previous post. I drive in bumper to bumper traffic and still I got 45KMPL. With better roads and optimum idling, the mileage can be higher.

Quote:

I wouldn't mind buying the Grazia but then the plastics feel a bit flimsy and having owned an Aviator for nearly 10 years, I'm pretty sure the plastics wouldn't age well!
I have not seen/ridden Grazia - your feedback on plastics is in line with most of the online reviews. You can back to back extended test ride and decide.
All the best!
daretodream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 15:06   #110
BHPian

Re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 1 year completed & long term ownership summariz

Not heard of engine faliures. The carburettor is easy to tune like any other scooter. Leaving it a bit rich, reduces mileage but makes the best out of the engine which is a gem.
Front forks could use better damping. I am thinking of using the TVS wego rear shocks for a plusher ride
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 23:34   #111
BHPian

Re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 1 year completed & long term ownership summariz

have no idea. My spark plug was supposed to be I changed in the 5th Servicing. The Service Advisor told that Spark Plug was good and no need to change. I don't know things are really good or they declare its good without even checking it.
I will try to get this detail for you.
Old 7th January 2018, 09:19   #112
BHPian

Re: My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. EDIT: 1 year completed & long term ownership su

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
5th Service Completed (1st Paid Service)
Date: 21st December Day: Thursday
Odo: 6861 Kms

Actuals:
  1. Spark Plug was not changed. As per service advisor, the scooter is too new and in prime health and changing spark plug is an overkill.
  2. Engine Idling is reduced by a very small margin.
  3. Drive system (CVT) cleaned up
  4. Drum Brake and shoe cleaned up and play in the lever adjusted
  5. Front Number plate installed
  6. Engine Oil changed
  7. Gear Box Oil topped up

Service Bill Copy:
Attachment 1711495

Attachment 1711498
Thank you daretodream for the detailed info, I always love reading your posts, keep up good work.

In you service invoice, there is Clutch OH for Rs.250 and Engine Oil Additive for Rs.145, what is that for?
My service center charged me Rs.242 for Castrol 800ml oil and Rs.47 for Gear Oil, the total bill was Rs.300 for 4th free service.

For insurance, I had same experience as your, no one called from dealership. So I renewed myself with New India Insurance for Rs.1600. NCB is 20% and IDV is Rs.47,653
Sparky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 19:35   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Thank you daretodream for the detailed info, I always love reading your posts, keep up good work.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
In you service invoice, there is Clutch OH for Rs.250 and Engine Oil Additive for Rs.145, what is that for?
Very good question.
What is billed as "Clutch Overhaul":
The CVT gearbox is opened and cleaned and its Gasket changed. You can see some online videos to get an idea.
An example video is below:

Additive: I'd covered it in post #57 of this thread.
It is an Engine Oil Additive from Magsol which my Service Center has been adding to all scooters 2nd Servicing onwards. I was told it boosts engine oil performance. To be honest, I have not investigated further.

It is very much possible that other service centers are not adding this additive. It is also very much possible that my Service Center is just pushing it to all customers only because it gets huge commission on same from the company. I will probe them on specifically next time I visit them.

Last edited by daretodream : 13th January 2018 at 20:04. Reason: Editing the video link and grammar correction
daretodream is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 15:24   #114
BHPian

So had the bike back from the 4th service. They have finally decided to change the timing chain in my Access 125. There used to be a ticking sound heard especially when the engine was cold.
Is anyone else experiencing any such issues? Otherwise, the bike runs perfectly fine.
Old 10th March 2018, 16:43   #115
Senior - BHPian

Hey daretodream!

I'm in the final stages of deciding on the Access 125 but on two consecutive test drives at different showrooms, I noticed that there were vibrations from the front wheel on hard braking. Both the examples were drum brakes. I tried the same on my friend's scooter and that one also had the same problem.

Is there such issues for the disc variant? Have you tried braking hard around 60 kmph?
Old 13th March 2018, 02:08   #116
BHPian

There are no vibrations on my scooter which has a disc setup. However, the forks do dive a bit under hard braking making the front wheel bounce a bit but nothing too dramatic.
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:59   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I just thought of updating my feel of my better half's 2013 Access after changing the engine oil to 10w40. I bought a one LTR Shell Advance AX7 10w40 from Amazon and got a very good deal of RS. 356 and also got a cash back of RS. 75 on Amazon pay, so net cost of Rs. 281 .

Bought this oil after checking for some time on all the grades and brands of oil which can be used on scooters. Used 900 ml for oil change and didn't change oil filter. I must say the vehicle was butter smooth which I have never felt in any of previous oil changes. I rode 50 kms today, as I purposely took Access instead of my bike to check out. As of now I recommend this grade. Let me update after 1k kms again.

KK

Quoting myself, after 6 months and around 3200 Kms I got a chance to ride the Access for around 50 Kms yesterday and I must say the engine oil feels very good even now and quite smooth as the day I had changed the oil.

I will stick with the same engine oil for the next service too.

BTW, I need input on the periodicity of service and engine oil change. I have been getting Access services from FNG and they don't seem to change any filters, engine oil filter or fuel filter.

KK
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:24   #118
BHPian

6th Service Completed (2nd Paid Service)
Date: 20th April
Odo: 9097 Kms

Service Appointment Booking Experience
The recommend service due date was 6th Apr 2018. Due to hectic work schedule, I could not complete the servicing on time.

I just walked-in(drove to) Advaith Automation on 20th Apr at around 9:20AM. I had not taken service appointment. When I reached, I was attended right away and I was 16th in queue.
I was given an estimate for Rs 1400 and asked to collect scooter by evening 3PM.

I walked to nearby South End Circle Metro station and took metro to my office.

Issues in Scooter

My Milky Bar was subtly hinting me that it is not happy and I must take it for servicing. Few indications:
1. Self-start taking long time even with choke in mornings. The problem was not limited to morning cold starts. Even after 30 minute ride during the day(enough to warm up the engine), the scooter was moody to self-start and had become unpredictable to the point I was scared of switching it off at long signal to save embarrassment of blocking the traffic. At times self would keep on cranking and engine refusing to start. At times, it would start in first crank. I need to check what is the ideal battery life for these gear-less scooters.
2. Took more kicks in morning (3-4 kicks) to start and at times switching off after starting
3. Squeaks from rear brakes

Requests Given:
1. Check Kick mechanism as there was screeching sound when the kick lever comes back to top position
2. Check/Replace Spark Plug
3. Check rear drum brake as it was squeaking sometimes when I applied brake at slow speeds.

Service adviser suggested to go for Waxing for Rs 200 and I denied.

Follow standard process recommended in the service manual as below:
Replace: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, Spark Plug
Inspect: Air filter paper Element, Valve clearance, Fuel Hose, Throttle cable play, Idle Speed, PAIR(air supply system), Drive Belt, Brakes, Brake Hose, Brake Fluid, Tyres, Steering, Front forks, Rear Suspension
Tight: Chassis bolts and nuts
Lubrication:

Actuals:
Engine Oil changed
Spark Plug was not changed. As per service adviser, it is fine
Drive system (CVT) cleaned up
Drum Brake and shoe cleaned up and play in the lever adjusted
Gear Box Oil topped up

Service Bill Copy:
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-access-6th-service.jpg

I came back to pickup the scooter by 5PM.
It was raining heavily and hence I couldn't take any picture.

Scooter after servicing
The kick rod screeching sound is gone. Brakes squealing is gone.
The scooter is happy and all pepped up now.

I will not comment on whether starting issues are solved or not. I've not ridden it much and mostly used my car in last 10-15 days. I will update this post after riding it for a week.

Service Summary
My Milky Bar: Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. 52 months and 18,000 kms completed!-suzuki-access-servicing-summary.jpg
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 10:54   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
I will not comment on whether starting issues are solved or not.
As I read your post quickly, I could not find what they have done to solve the starting issue. May be just cleaned the spark plugs! Please let us know if it gets solved and possible solution for it if you can find.
Old 7th May 2018, 19:44   #120
BHPian

There is a dedicated thread regarding a good diagnosis done by a4anurag on his Activa for cold start and idling issues.

Probably its good to have it checked for Access as well.

Link
srinath34 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks