Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2017, 17:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

More bikes coming in Dominar's segment, says Rajiv Bajaj

In a recent interview, Mr. Rajiv Bajaj, Managing Director of Bajaj Auto, has indicated that the company will soon introduce more bikes in the segment of the Dominar i.e., in the price range of Rs. 1-2 lakh. While no information was revealed on the type of products being prepared for the segment, Mr. Bajaj said that the automaker will be making an official announcement in the next 2-3 months.

Bajaj entered this segment with the launch of the Dominar 400 in December last year. Priced from Rs. 1.36 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi), the Dominar is currently the most expensive Bajaj motorcycle on sale in the country. Despite this premium price tag, the Dominar brand has managed to get a satisfactory response from customers, thus giving the required push to Bajaj Auto to introduce more products in this segment. It is still not clear whether the upcoming bikes will be placed in the Dominar range or a completely new brand.

The 200-500 cc segment of the Indian motorcycle industry has shown a spike in customer interest in the past few years. Data released by the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) revealed that this particular segment grew by 31% in the April-December period last year, while the entire two-wheeler segment recorded a growth of just 6% in the same period. At present, Bajaj has only one contender in this growing market and is keen to offer more options to prospective customers in order to increase its market share.

Source: Money Control
dZired is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 17:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: More bikes coming in Dominar's segment, says Rajiv Bajaj

Bajaj have access to 3 potent and explosive power plants (200, 250, 390) thanks to KTM.

Now, they will juggle around these engines with varying body styles.
Dominar today is a naked cruiser.

They can put a half fairing on it and call it an AS.
They can put a full fairing on it and call it an RS.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 17:48   #3
BHPian

Pretty sure that Mr. Rajiv Bajaj is all pumped given the success of the Dominar. Within three months of entering the 350-cc-plus motorcycle segment, Bajaj is ahead of Royal Enfield in the category.

I reckon the new bikes would be a 250 Duke based Dominar 250, and a sports version of the Dominar 400.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 20:54   #4
BHPian

There is a big void in the adventure touring motorcycles segment, the Himalayan has been unable to fulfill, I still see serious tourers with an element of off roading choose the Hero Impulse. The common gripe is the Himalayan is heavy.

I would really appreciate Bajaj Auto coming out with a light weight Adventure tourer.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2017 at 09:39. Reason: Typos
motorpsycho is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:25   #5
BHPian

In the short term, we may see some variant(s) of the Dominar 400 and maybe a cruiser with the same engine.

In the longer term, going by Rajiv Bajaj's recent interview in Fast Bikes India, they will go up the displacement ladder.

I absolutely love my Dominar 400 and if I get an option to upgrade to a bigger engined Dominar after a couple of years, I would not hesitate to do that.

The KTM 690 / upcoming 790 could be the new donor engines?
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks