Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2017, 06:34   #1
BHPian

Urban commuter: TVS Victor or Hero Passion Xpro?

I am looking for a 110-125cc motorcycle for using in the city.

Requirements:
1. Should be good in heavy traffic (lightweight) with decent Low End Torque
2. Must have front disk brake.
3. Need decently soft suspension to smoothen out bumps.
4. Do NOT need sporty handling or high accelaration.
5. Good headlight, tires (atleast 3.0 in rear tire) for safety.
6. Should be easy to service and maintain.
7. mileage is not a constraint since the daily running will be quite low ~5-10km.
8. Should be able to carry two people without strain.(I find 100cc bikes to be a tad underpowered.)
9. Engine needs to be quiet and refined without excessive NVH.

For various reasons, I do not want to buy Bajaj, Honda, Mahindra or Suzuki. That leaves me with Hero, TVS and Yamaha.

I have narrowed it down to Hero Passion Xpro or TVS Victor. Test rode both, and the Victor ticks all my boxes, but I hardly see any on the roads, whereas the Passion is everywhere. I find the Victor to be superior in terms of its headlight, and build quality. Lastly, TVS has launched a BS4 version of the Victor, whereas the Xpro is not yet launched in BS4 ( since it is a honda derived engine). If I want to buy the Passion Xpro, the only choice is the used market.

However, all the reliable mechanics I spoke to are dead against TVS Victor, and recommend ONLY the Passion. Also the whole city is full of Passions (sic). It seems to outsell the Victor by a factor of 10 or more. Should I go with my gut instinct and get the Victor, or should I listen to the mechanics advice (and people's favorite) and stick to the Passion Xpro?

( I have read thru many reviews for each bike, and most automotive journalists seem to prefer the Victor over other competitors, but local Mechanics have a totally different view.)

many thanks for reading thru, would much appreciate learned members opinions.
grazd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 08:13   #2
BHPian

re: Urban commuter: TVS Victor or Hero Passion Xpro?

There is a new xpro with my staff and he was bugged with chain noise from 3-4k Kms. Mechanics said that this chain issue is the only thing that sales of xpro is lower than the normal passion. He got the chain set replaced at his own cost at 8 k Kms to a claimed heavier chain and since then the problem hasn't resurfaced. However the engine is refined and build quality is decent.

I find the new Victor good looking, decently specced and the exhaust note is also bassy. Cannot comment on reliability front. We had first generation Victor which was quite robust.

You can also check out the Yamaha saluto if you wish.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 08:22   #3
BHPian

Thanks for your feedback on the Xpro. That's useful to know, i prefer it to the regular passion since it is slightly more powerful and has the new refined Honda engine.

Still my dilemma persists, between Xpro and victor, mainly owing to mechanics opinion.

The Saluto seems good too, just that I hardly see any one using it. Yamaha seems to have killed all lower cc bikes, maybe saluto is their entry level model now.
Old 10th May 2017, 09:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

My brother in law has the Victor 110 and has done over 10,000 kms in about 6 months. The bike is doing very well, with just the prescribed oil changes. Not sure why a mechanic would be dead against a brand unless there is very little exposure to the product. Hero outsells all brands, so there is no doubt about the ratio of Xpro to other competing bikes.

Do a test ride, check how it suits you and then buy it.

PS: I had the erst while victor and had done 90K kms with zero hickups and consistent mileage of around 60 kmpl. I dont see the current Victor to perform any worse than the older Victor.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 10:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Urban commuter: TVS Victor or Hero Passion Xpro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
That leaves me with Hero, TVS and Yamaha.
If you are okay with TVS bikes, do take a test ride of the Phoenix too. It's a 125 cc bike, and seemed very peppy and nimble (at least to me) when I had taken a short test ride a couple of years ago. The price difference with the Victor is also not too much.
comfortablynumb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 10:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
My brother in law has the Victor 110 and has done over 10,000 kms in about 6 months. The bike is doing very well, with just the prescribed oil changes. Not sure why a mechanic would be dead against a brand unless there is very little exposure to the product. Hero outsells all brands, so there is no doubt about the ratio of Xpro to other competing bikes.

Do a test ride, check how it suits you and then buy it.

PS: I had the erst while victor and had done 90K kms with zero hickups and consistent mileage of around 60 kmpl. I dont see the current Victor to perform any worse than the older Victor.
Very helpful to know about your b-i-l's experience. I too have generally had a good experience with TVS bikes for the last many years. Unless there is something obviously wrong with the new Victor, I think I'll go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If you are okay with TVS bikes, do take a test ride of the Phoenix too. It's a 125 cc bike, and seemed very peppy and nimble (at least to me) when I had taken a short test ride a couple of years ago. The price difference with the Victor is also not too much.
Would have loved to consider the Phoenix, just that TVS has not upgraded to BS4, and the dealer claims that they have killed it due to low sales. I will look for it in the used market, but there too it is difficult to find owing to low sales.
grazd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 10:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would have loved to consider the Phoenix, just that TVS has not upgraded to BS4, and the dealer claims that they have killed it due to low sales. I will look for it in the used market, but there too it is difficult to find owing to low sales.
Aah, okay. I didn't know that. The Star City and Star Sport are also good, durable bikes but unfortunately don't satisfy point # 2 in your list above.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 12:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
As a owner of two TVS bikes, I can vouch for the fact that they age well with no rattling plastics or parts that need constant change.

The Phoenix is a good option actually! They have updated it with a new speedo unit (Tacho included) , LED pilot lamps, and gas charged suspension.

What the victor gets you is the powerful 60w headlamp.

The ex showroom (pune) price for the disc versions of Victor and Phoenix are very close!

Victor - Rs.53937, Phoenix - Rs, 55,765.

Go for the Victor or Phoenix - they are underrated, but are better than their competition in overall terms.

PS: Sometimes we over rate our mechanics and their "opinions" of bikes.

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2017 at 09:18. Reason: typo
sai_ace is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 14:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Try Honda LIVO. The highlight of the LIVO is the brilliant 110 Engine (did duties on the Twister and also found on the CD Dream Series).

Unlike the 125 cc Shine Engine (was also found on the now discontinued CBF Stunner), the 110 cc engine of the LIVO is butter smooth and doesn't vibrate (like the Shine) at around 60 Kmph.

It also comes with Front Disc Brake as an option.

payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 15:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
As a owner of two TVS bikes, I can vouch for the fact that they age well with no rattling plastics or parts that need constant change.

The Phoenix is a good option actually! They have updated it with a new speedo unit (Tacho included) , LED pilot lamps, and gas charged suspension.

What the victor gets you is the powerful 60w headlamp.

The ex showroom (pune) price for the dsic versions of Victor and Phoenix are very close!

Victor - Rs.53937, Phoenix - Rs, 55,765.

Go for the Victor or Phoenix - they are underrated, but are better than their competition in overall terms.

PS: Sometimes we over rate our mechanics and their "opinions" of bikes.
Totally agree with you reg the reliability of TVS bikes in general. Unfortunately, it seems the phoenix has been pulled from the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Try Honda LIVO. The highlight of the LIVO is the brilliant 110 Engine (did duties on the Twister and also found on the CD Dream Series).

Unlike the 125 cc Shine Engine (was also found on the now discontinued CBF Stunner), the 110 cc engine of the LIVO is butter smooth and doesn't vibrate (like the Shine) at around 60 Kmph.

It also comes with Front Disc Brake as an option.
I did consider the Livo, what put me off was the general attitude of honda showrooms (no test ride, etc), plus the fact that it didn't seem as well built as the victor. Honda spares and maintenance are also said to be costlier. The engine is a gem, and is the same on the Xpro hence I am considering it.
Old 10th May 2017, 15:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did consider the Livo, what put me off was the general attitude of honda showrooms (no test ride, etc), plus the fact that it didn't seem as well built as the victor. Honda spares and maintenance are also said to be costlier.

The engine is a gem, and is the same on the Xpro hence I am considering it.
Sadly guess one has to live up with the Honda Showroom attitude.

You are right about the engine of the XPro. It has (Hero) Honda Origins and one of the last to get the Honda enigne. But that is precisely why one should be a bit wary, since Hero is slowly phasing out the Honda engines from its products.

The Maestro Edge and the Duet has already replaced the original "Activa Origined" Maestro. Splendor iSmart and the New Glamour and Glamour Fi gets Hero developed engines. Pointing that in the future Hero is looking to replace the original Honda engines.

The Passion XPro (or at least the Engine) will be shelved eventually.

Last edited by payeng : 10th May 2017 at 15:29.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 19:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a 110-125cc motorcycle for using in the city.
Are you sure you want a motorcycle only? After reading your requirements, I feel a scooter fits your requirements better. That's unless you are adamant on having a motorcycle only.

However, if you can switch your attention to scooters, my suggestions would be:
1. Suzuki Access
2. TVS Jupiter

I wish, I could add Aprilia's scooter to the list, but have not ridden it yet.

As for motorcycles, I have owned a Victor 110 (second gen) from 2003 - 2006, it was fuss free for the first two years, then the fuel tank started to rust, the swingarm started swinging in all the four axis. Hence, disposed it. Guess, mine was a lemon as very few other owners had such issues.

The new Victor carries only the name and is whole lot different than the old one. It would be unwise to just go by the perception the name carries as there was a long gap after which it has been given an iteration again. I suggest you talk to few owners of the new Victor at the service station when you go to take a TD to get a clear picture, it's kinda difficult, but do try.

If I were in your place, with the above requirements, and if adamant on buying a bike, I would buy the CB Unicorn, Honda Sales Staff attitude be dawned. It has lost some of its hay-days smoothness, but it is still worth.

Do extensive test rides on all your shortlisted bikes, and then take a decision.

Last edited by five46 : 10th May 2017 at 19:15.
five46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 20:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
Are you sure you want a motorcycle only? After reading your requirements, I feel a scooter fits your requirements better. That's unless you are adamant on having a motorcycle only.
This is good advice. Unless the OP is fixed on having a motorcycle, the short commutes of 5-10kms is best handled by gearless scooters. Convenient and hassle free. Both Access and Jupiter are good suggestions & I would add Yamaha scooters to the list as well. Fascino and Alpha are good choices. Wife is using a Yamaha Ray for the past 3 years and it has held up very well so far for the short commutes.

But if you are fixed on having the motorcycle, then try the Victor for sure as the updated one has the best features and seems like a VFM choice compared to any offering from Hero.
abhinav.s is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 07:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post

However, if you can switch your attention to scooters, my suggestions would be:
1. Suzuki Access
2. TVS Jupiter

I wish, I could add Aprilia's scooter to the list, but have not ridden it yet.

If I were in your place, with the above requirements, and if adamant on buying a bike, I would buy the CB Unicorn, Honda Sales Staff attitude be dawned. It has lost some of its hay-days smoothness, but it is still worth.

Do extensive test rides on all your shortlisted bikes, and then take a decision.
Thanks for your advice, it did make me pause to consider the scooter options. I have ridden the Access and it seems well built. However, I've gotten very used to motorcycles, and I find scooters uncomfortable, esp on bad roads. The Aprilia is tempting because of its 14in wheels, but its in a different league from the kind of everyday runabout that I am looking for, and might be hard to get it serviced from local mechs.

The Unicorn is certainly a great bike, always loved riding it. But it is a bit heavier than what I'd prefer (~145kg vs something closer to 100kg). I will reconsider though, and try to get a TD of the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
This is good advice. Unless the OP is fixed on having a motorcycle, the short commutes of 5-10kms is best handled by gearless scooters. Convenient and hassle free. Both Access and Jupiter are good suggestions & I would add Yamaha scooters to the list as well. Fascino and Alpha are good choices. Wife is using a Yamaha Ray for the past 3 years and it has held up very well so far for the short commutes.

But if you are fixed on having the motorcycle, then try the Victor for sure as the updated one has the best features and seems like a VFM choice compared to any offering from Hero.
Agree regarding hassle-free nature of scooters, esp in heavy traffic, but I feel much safer riding a motorbike. (thanks for sharing your experience reg the Yamaha scooters, I will pass it onto a friend who's looking to buy one.)
grazd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 09:29   #15
BHPian

Absolutely vouch for TVS Victor. As an owner of the previous gen Victor, I can say it is reliable, powerful for a 110CC, and has excellent low-end torque. I rode it for 70K km before giving it to a friend. You CANNOT go wrong with a TVS.
hellmet is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks