Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 22:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Cliq scooter launched at Rs. 42,499

Looks like a silent launch, was never even aware about existence of such a product. Never in showroom, not from ASC, not even from any motoring site or did I miss?

Honda Cliq scooter launched at Rs. 42,499-a1.jpg

Honda Cliq - https://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/cliq/

Source - https://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/...aseDetails/188

PS - As usual, old wine in new bottle; just the looks
aargee is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 22:24   #2
BHPian

re: Honda Cliq scooter launched at Rs. 42,499

While checking out the prices, discovered that drop down menu lists only Rajasthan as of now.

Further online investigation shows that initially it will be available only in Rajasthan and then in Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities.

Price : INR 42,499 (Ex-Showroom, Delhi)

Source 1 & Source 2
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 22:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a competitor for the TVS XL100. All signs point to it being Honda's competitor for a rural scooter. Doubt it would replace the XL100 though.

It still looks like a scooter while the XL looks like it was purposely designed for rural use.

Anyway, left the Honda site with a smile Doubt it will 'puncture' TVS' sales in the moped category.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Cliq scooter launched at Rs. 42,499-cliq.png  

SchumiFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 07:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how they named it that given tata has a trademark on the name already for their ecom site
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 07:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly for the price, it's a bloody damn good alternative to use in the city. Nothing feminine about it, looks like an absolute rugged go getter without the blue collar feel of the tvs. With the rear rack being optional, a top box is an easy fit. Fantastic effort from Honda.

This one is right on top of my list as an efficient city vehicle.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 08:24   #6
BHPian

I personally would prefer the Cliq over the Activa as an urban commuter because of its design and price. But I have serious doubts about the size of the tires being able to handle the muddy dirtroads in many rural areas. I would have loved the Cliq with a more powerful 125cc engine than the underpowered Activa 110cc.
bharat.joshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 08:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why Honda thinks rural roads in India are filled with punchers?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Cliq scooter launched at Rs. 42,499-untitled.png  

Viju is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 10:24   #8
BHPian

It's got only a 3.5 liter tank. If it's targeted for rural areas where petrol pumps may be many kilometers apart, that tank wouldn't yield much of a range.
farhadtarapore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 11:24   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Cliq scooter launched at Rs. 42,499

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I wonder how they named it that given tata has a trademark on the name already for their ecom site
Tata probably didn't register the 'Cliq' trademark in all categories. Plus, they are completely unrelated (e-comm vs scooter), so it shouldn't have been a problem for Honda to register the trademark. The Delhi High Court even allowed an accessory company to use the 'Lexus' name, despite Toyota's powerful litigation efforts - related thread.

Let's not take the thread anymore off-topic.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 11:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

This actually looks like a good option from the Honda stable.
Pros:
The front stance looks bike like.
The engine is the same as Honda Activa
Tyres are tubeless.
Wider seats, wider floor board may mean better comfort
Luggage carrier

Cons:
The dual colour front gives it a Bajaj M80 kind of look, which I don't like.
Fuel tank is 3.5L, which is a bit low. Would have preferred to have at least a 5 litre option.
Suspension seems like it is not telescopic.

Looks like a worthwhile city commuter. Interesting to see how it fares.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 12:04   #11
BHPian

It looks like a spruced up navi. With Honda already having tasted success with navi much beyond what they had anticipated, I guess it's a very planned move.
The price is surely quite sweet and I can see a lot of delivery guys ending up buying this one. 3.5l might be less but if it gives a decent mileage, I don't see that as a bummer. Even rural areas have access to petrol pumps within reach nowadays. Cuties for sure will not be an issue apart from the hassle of frequent filling.
Fingers crossed to see how well this bet of Honda turns out.
justwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 13:19   #12

Hi All,

Looks like Honda's desperate attempt to sell NAVI in a new name. From the handle bar it is clear .

Fairing added and modifications done but keeping the cost in mind at all times.:
sagar.narasimha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 13:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar.narasimha View Post
Hi All,

Looks like Honda's desperate attempt to sell NAVI in a new name. From the handle bar it is clear .

Fairing added and modifications done but keeping the cost in mind at all times.:
It's NOT the Navi.. if you still insist at similarities then all Honda India scooters except the Activa 125 have the same 110 c.c engine.

Nevertheless am happy to see an on/off tubeless tyre option for the rear wheel of my Navi.

Honda has faltered with the tank capacity.. the 3.8 lts tank is already an issue with my Navi. This one at 3.5 lts has gone even down.. makes no sense at all if semi-rural customers are the target

Last edited by payeng : 21st June 2017 at 13:42.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 22:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Schumi on OD said he spoke to the Honda guys and asked if it was a brand extension of Navi but HMSI says that is not the case. This is HMSI's attempt at luring away the 110cc geared motorcycle customers who buy them for their daily errands across rural areas. There will be many accessories for this scooter including the luggage rack at the back. In the urban areas this will probably be handy for the pizza delivery or just courier businesses. Schumi's video showed 2 variants, one basic stripped down model and another with stickers(500 bucks extra).

This will be similar to the postie bike that's sold around the world except this will be a scooter instead of a motorcycle. Frankly the CT110 postie bike would have done wonders for the Indian rural market given the fact that the bike has served the Western and Australian postal services since the 1980s. The CT90 was its predecessor in the mid 60s. Has similar spec but with a 5.5l fuel tank too.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Schumi on OD said he spoke to the Honda guys and asked if it was a brand extension of Navi but HMSI says that is not the case. This is HMSI's attempt at luring away the 110cc geared motorcycle customers who buy them for their daily errands across rural areas.

There will be many accessories for this scooter including the luggage rack at the back. In the urban areas this will probably be handy for the pizza delivery or just courier businesses.

All that planning and strategic intent is fine but the HMSI guys who designed it need to ride/live with the product for a month to understand what a 3.5 ltrs tank feels like.

Another point is that the target consumer probably prefer less of "fibre" panels on their vehicles.

Honda could have used the Navi platform with the 12 inch front tyres and the telescopic forks

Last edited by payeng : 22nd June 2017 at 07:33.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks