Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 17:25   #1
BHPian

Cleveland CycleWerks to enter India?

Cleveland CycleWerks Entering India By September; To Launch 3 Models

Quote:
In exciting news coming in right from the USA, niche motorcycle manufacturer, Cleveland CycleWerks is going to set shop in India and will start by introducing three models in the middle-weight 250-500cc segment by September.
Cleveland CycleWerks India has partnered with Hyderabad based Laish-Madison Motor Werks which will handle their India operations and is already setting up a plant which can push out 30,000 motorcycles each year. CCW hopes to increase this number to 40,000 over the coming years.

Quote:
The first would be the Misfit – a single cylinder café-racer styled premium commuter. The 223cc air cooled engine will put out 16.3 BHP and 18 Nm of torque. It gets a typical single seat, dual pod instrumentation, golden upside-down forks, spoke rims, round headlamps, neat pin-striping on the body and disc brakes at both ends.

Quote:
The Ace is likely to be the entry-spec variant which gets commuter-type styling. A 230cc single-pot motor pushes out 14.8 BHP and 15.8 Nm to the rear wheel. A disc brake at the front, retro-style flat seat and racing stripes seem to be standard for the model.

Quote:
The third model would be the FXR, which, as the company claims, is a cross between a mountain bike and a dirt bike. It carries standard trail-bike looks, with a high-riding engine, tiny seat, knobbly tyres and long-travel suspensions. It will receive a 123.7cc engine which is good for 8.3 BHP and 8.5 Nm.
Official Website: http://www.clevelandcyclewerksindia.com/

Source: Motoroids
Nicky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 23:21   #2
BHPian

re: Cleveland CycleWerks to enter India?

Cleveland CycleWerks is a privately held motorcycle manufacturer that designs and assembles small displacement retro style café racers and bobbers at its headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio, relying on offshore manufacturing in China by CPI Motor Company of Taiwan for most components, including frames and the Honda-derived engine used on all models.More at Wikipedia

----------------
Yet another Chinese non-sense made into India. I hate things made in China and it is further amplified by the fact, recently, China is giving us lot of trouble (NSG issues, Border issues, partnership with Pak and North Korea). Also I cannot believe the number of Indians buying lot of Chinese phones and their products. Looks like these people never watch any news.

Rant aside, now many mainstream manufacturers in India are now into 250cc and above motorcycle variants. It will definitely give tough competition to these 'new' entrants. Also we are able to produce quality motorcycles at low price and I don't think they will have any upper hand in the pricing front.

Even Yamaha has FZ25 250cc that starts as low as 1.2L
https://www.bikewale.com/yamaha-bikes/fz25/
amvj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 13:19   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Cleveland CycleWerks to enter India?

Sigh, another day, another bike maker with a fancy name wanting to sell cheap Chinese motorcycles. Standard trend = website that offers half-baked information & has typos too!

Wikipedia has an interesting summary on them. Apparently, they were turned away by the USA government & USA part suppliers! What's more, this 'USA Motorcycle Maker' doesn't have a single dealer in the USA ?! At least their website indicates so. Lastly, it looks like their Indian website is soliciting more to dealers than customers! If anyone is even thinking of investing as a dealer, please don't forget this episode where the chairman of Eider Motors was jailed for duping its dealerships.

Here's an interview with the founder.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 13:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cleveland CycleWerks to enter India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sigh, another day, another bike maker with a fancy name wanting to sell cheap...
This is very PRECISELY that was running in my mind after looking at the tech spec of these motorcycles. That cycle + motor thing...don't even know where to ride that 8 hp motor.

Personally I'm sick & tired of the single cylinder motor being offered for any bike enthusiast. It's time to move to ATLEAST affordable twins. Fine with even a 150 CC, but has to be a DOHC + twin + FE + ABS + decent GC & has to be offered at affordable & not ridiculous prices

I don't know what difference these guys are going to make in the looks by offering the same masala single engines doing around 17-18 HP.

PS - Entire social media, esp commaon man, is crying to refrain buying chinese products because of the tensions in border & another way, there're big red carpets laid all the way into capital!! Sigh!!
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 20:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sigh, another day, another bike maker with a fancy name wanting to sell cheap Chinese motorcycles. Standard trend = website that offers half-baked information & has typos too!
Avoid like a plague!!! Its not even sold here in the states. The MSF course I went to had few. Seriously bad quality, I choose our own RE for the course and came out well
Old 25th July 2017, 20:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

The last one looks somewhat like the "Vicky" of yore!

Everything about these screams "ling-ling motors"! Stay away. Don't even touch with a pole!

Poor quality Chinese stuff is passed on with Italian and American names.
Old 25th July 2017, 23:15   #7
BHPian

Free market should decide how long these manufacturers stay in India. Customers are not fools to buy into such unknown brands without some sort of due diligence. I hope knowledgeable members of this forum refrain from lending nationalistic hues to this thread. There are plenty of high-quality Chinese stuff available too. Look around your house and most products in one way or another lead back to China. This sort of protectionism is the very reason India has so few major industries which can compete at a global level. Everyone has their vested interests in promoting their ideology, no less Indian companies which would profit from calls for such blind nationalism. Think for yourself before ranting on Chinese products just because they're 'Made in China'.
Ruchitya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Free market should decide how long these manufacturers stay in India. Customers are not fools to buy into such unknown brands without some sort of due diligence. I hope knowledgeable members of this forum refrain from lending nationalistic hues to this thread. There are plenty of high-quality Chinese stuff available too. Look around your house and most products in one way or another lead back to China. This sort of protectionism is the very reason India has so few major industries which can compete at a global level. Everyone has their vested interests in promoting their ideology, no less Indian companies which would profit from calls for such blind nationalism. Think for yourself before ranting on Chinese products just because they're 'Made in China'.
I agree that Chinese products shouldn't be denounced to prove a point. Looking at my OnePlus I can say that products made in China are in no way bad or of low quality as they may have been in days of yore. All your iPhones and iPads are made in China for that matter (along with most Samsung, HTC, etc. products)
However, China has yet to make a real impact in the global vehicle market. Look at the 'Chevrolet' Enjoy and Sail. They seem like pretty inferior, ugly cars in my opinion and I assume that their poor sales was a key factor in GM pulling out of India. These 'Cleveland' motorcycles look like another bunch of gimmicky old-style cruiser ripoffs with a concocted American heritage. Let them enter the market, but I doubt that they'd last very long.
Old 1st August 2017, 15:42   #9
BANNED

Am I the only one who suspects that these are iterations of Honda motor’s, namely from the Cub and CRF230.

On a different note, if true I’d love to see them in the local market provided that the service backing is good, plus a purpose built 100cc is a dream come true for many.
Old 20th June 2018, 11:56   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Launch delayed.

Unsurprisingly, they're having trouble setting up the dealer & distribution network - source.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks