Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2017, 13:35   #1
BHPian

Has TVS stopped offering extended warranties?

TVS has stopped the Assurance Extended Warranty program. However, it is not clear whether this program is stopped temporarily or permanently.

Has TVS stopped offering extended warranties?-assurance.png

The Assurance program essentially offered benefits of standard warranty (provided for 2 years) over additional periods of time. The program was valid across all TVS dealerships and covered labour cost as well. The assurance program had to be purchased within 45 days from original date of product purchase.

The Assurance program provided additional 2 years of warranty on mopeds and 3 years on scooters/bikes. Below table provides additional details.

Has TVS stopped offering extended warranties?-details.png

The link to the extended warranty program still exists on the TVS website.

Source of this information? Read on..

I purchased a Jupiter in the first week of August and a Wego in the third week of August. We replaced a 12 year old, 75K run and badly bruised Activa. Only options for replacement we considered were the Honda's, Suzuki's and TVS's. Since we were bored of the Activa (and all other Honda scooters are essentially Activa's) we did not go for it. Suzuki's - seemed similar to Activa. We liked TVS because of -
1. External fuel filler (no more getting down, open big seat to fuel tank up!).
2. Telescopic front suspension and gas shocks in the rear.
3. R12 wheels - neither Activa's or Access's offer them.

When I bought the Jupiter, I was in a hurry and did not buy the extended warranty program at that time. My brother took delivery, did not take it then.

When I bought Wego, was assured by the dealership that we can buy it later. They will provide it on the weekend when they were relatively free.

I had developed fairly decent rapport with the sales rep, believed them and put it off for another week.

On repeated following up with the dealership, they realized I was serious about purchasing the program. (Looks like very few opt for this program in 2-wheeler category). They tried. And they eventually came back saying, TVS has stopped the program itself. There was a meeting between TVS management and dealer principles where it was confirmed.

I did not want to believe them. I raised a query on TVS website.

2 days later (i.e., today) I got a call from TVS's sales representative for Bengaluru. He confirmed to me that the senior management had taken this decision (and an abrupt one) to stop this. This extended warranty program was apparently provided by a third party company (called CWI, if I recollect correctly). Why did they stop it - he did not know. He confirmed that the dealership had correctly informed about the same.

Dilemma - Now, I do not know if the warranty scheme will be back. And not sure if those customers who bought vehicles during this interim period will be provided the option of buying it (even it has been more than 45 days since purchase).

Warranty absolutely required? - Maybe not. But, its good to have. Especially, since the cost would have been in the hundreds.

Silver-lining - They (TVS representative & dealership) responded promptly to my query and confirmed that it is stopped.

Questions -
1. Product pamphlets offered in dealership still indicate 5 year Assurance program. Misleading? YES!
2. Why does the website still have it as an option available?
3. Will the Assurance program be back?
OrangeCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Has TVS stopped offering extended warranties?

When did you purchase your vehicle?
I purchased my Wego from Neo Motors on 10th Aug (less than a month ago) and I have been handed over the extended warranty during delivery itself.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:47   #3
BHPian

re: Has TVS stopped offering extended warranties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
When did you purchase your vehicle?
I purchased my Wego from Neo Motors on 10th Aug (less than a month ago) and I have been handed over the extended warranty during delivery itself.
3-August (when I believe it was still offered) & 16-August (it could have still be active). But now, they seem to have taken it down. It seems to be a very recent decision.
OrangeCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 11:02   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Has TVS stopped offering extended warranties?

I think it's either a miscommunication or temporary halt. Getting rid of extended warranties would send out a message that the manufacturer isn't confident of its product quality. Plus, considering that other 2-wheeler manufacturers offer the same, it would become a competitive disadvantage.

Hope it's resolved soon - I'm a huge believer of extended warranties .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks