Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 09:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Making a Honda Unicorn more touring-friendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Here are my 2 cents.

6. Try out NGK Iridium Spark Plugs for better warm-up performance. This was a minor issue in my Unicorn.

7. Engine Oil - Shell AX7 20W40 is the best engine oil I have used in the Unicorn - Cost effective, Maintains its consistancy for a full 2.5k kms. Available easily.
+ 1 to both. I totally forgot about the NGK Iridium plug. My Unicorn also had some cold start issue and was fixed after I changed the spark plug to NGK Iridum.

After having tried multiple oils, I too zeroed on Shell and swears by it.

--Anoop
Old 4th October 2017, 13:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogrboy View Post
Hello all. I have recently bought a Honda Unicorn from year 2011 which has clocked 42K+ KMs and has got a perfect engine (as far as I can understand). I am planning to do the rides ranging from 58 km to 300 km in a day. I need to do some modifications for converting the motorcycle to a touring machine. I am not looking for cosmetic or performance modifications.

Below are the modifications I am thinking about (but not sure how to go about them)

1. Seating - I love the seating on a Unicorn 150. How do I make it better? I have decided on spacers for my stock handle bar to make it a little high. Is there anything I could do with the seat to make it more comfortable?

2. Luggage - I am planning on using 3 of my back packs to carry all my gear and cloths since these would be all small rides. My question is, how much can I carry in KGs just in case of a bigger plan? Can I install metal racks on this bike and carry more weight? How much weight can a 150 cc bike carry?

3. Do I need a bigger windshield?

That's all.

I am 39, live in Nagpur, planning to go to all the jungle locations to start with in next one year. I am 5'11 and 92 KGs. I have done 2000 KM rides in past on 350 cc bullets and not new to riding. I am sure I won't face extreme terrain.

Am I good to go? What else can you suggest?

bB

Hey! I am from Nagpur too. I own a tour prepped duke 390 and I often tour on it. Shoot me a PM and I can probably help you with sourcing and fabricating touring gear, and probably a riding partner too

That said, I feel the unicorn really doesnt need much to make it tour friendly. Its got a decent windshield, great seating position, its engine is still the benchmark for smoothness and its got great fuel economy too. The very essence of motorcycle touring is being free, traveling light is the name of the game. Since you are on a 150cc motor, the bike will perform poorly once you add luggage and luggage carriers.

One of the best and most underrated bits of touring gear is actually a dedicated riding pant. These things are heavy, offer great protection(Not to mention look cool) but most importantly, now you dont have to lug extra pairs of pants around. Just pack a comfy lower to sleep in, briefs and T shirts. A 2 night ride is easily doable with just a backpack strapped with bungee chords.
Old 6th October 2017, 08:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

One often overlooked aspect of motorcycle touring is the fitness level of the rider. Having a good overall fitness level does a lot towards ensuring that you can tour easier, for longer and will not feel so 'wiped out' at the end of a long, hard day's riding. Work on your fitness and you'll enjoy long rides more.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Hey! I am from Nagpur too. I own a tour prepped duke 390 and I often tour on it. Shoot me a PM and I can probably help you with sourcing and fabricating touring gear, and probably a riding partner too

That said, I feel the unicorn really doesnt need much to make it tour friendly. Its got a decent windshield, great seating position, its engine is still the benchmark for smoothness and its got great fuel economy too. The very essence of motorcycle touring is being free, traveling light is the name of the game. Since you are on a 150cc motor, the bike will perform poorly once you add luggage and luggage carriers.

One of the best and most underrated bits of touring gear is actually a dedicated riding pant. These things are heavy, offer great protection(Not to mention look cool) but most importantly, now you dont have to lug extra pairs of pants around. Just pack a comfy lower to sleep in, briefs and T shirts. A 2 night ride is easily doable with just a backpack strapped with bungee chords.
Thanks Ashwin. For the first few rides, my backpack will do the trick. I have purchased bungee chords and will fix the bag to the bike very well. I am sure
it will hold my stuff perfectly including clothing, electronics, a medical kit, water and some basic tools. (A question following later in this reply about the tools)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
One often overlooked aspect of motorcycle touring is the fitness level of the rider. Having a good overall fitness level does a lot towards ensuring that you can tour easier, for longer and will not feel so 'wiped out' at the end of a long, hard day's riding. Work on your fitness and you'll enjoy long rides more.
Totally agree am1m on the health front. The bike does not go places, the biker does. And thankfully at 39, I am still rocking. Or at least I think I do.
So far so good

Questions that follow are -
1. What tools do I need apart from the factory toolkit which came along? Is a electronic pump a must for long drives considering the size and the weight? I already have purchased the puncture repair kit from Amazon.

2. My Unicorn suspension is set to hardest. Is it better for me. I am 92 kg. I don't have a tool to set it and will have to go to the mechanic every time I am not comfortable. So thought of discussing first.

Lastly, thanks for all the support you guys are providing.
Old 7th December 2021, 13:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have finally been able to source my March 2010 Honda Unicorn 150 to my current place of stay, Manali, after 2.5 years of living here. Manali has lots of places, where I can go for Bike Touring nearby, including the Lahaul-Spiti and Ladakh valleys.

I'm interested to know, with pictures, what touring mods were finally done on the OPs Unicorn, and also on other people who own Unicorn in the forum.

As far as my ride is concerned, the mods which I currently have on it are:

Making a Honda Unicorn more touring-friendly?-img_20211127_155506.jpg
1. Halogen Yellow Fog Lamps. They are 60watts each, if I remember correctly, and they drain my battery within an hour of usage at night! I remember they were connected via a relay.

Making a Honda Unicorn more touring-friendly?-img_20211127_155540.jpg
2. Right Side Waterproof Lockable Box from Steelbird

3. No image available currently, but a 12v Accessory Socket inside the tool box below the seat, for charging Mobile or using a Tyre Inflator, when required.

Any inputs will be highly valuable and boost my confidence.

As far as the seat is concerned, I have my stock seat and drove it from Mandi to Manali this weekend at a stretch, over the bad under construction highway full of pot holes and slush and mud, but I found the cushioning to be adequate and didn't have much pain in the coccyx region. The total distance covered was between 100-130Kms in 4 hours.

Most Viewed