Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 11:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Any way to make a custom-length clutch cable?

On my Ninja 300, I have a 1 inch handlebar riser installed, and it works perfectly for stock clutch. For the sake of it, I tried installing one more riser on top of existing. The riding position is far comfortable with the 2 inch risers, but the clutch cable gets pulled when the handle is turned to extreme right. I got the extra riser removed, but I would like to have it installed.

I think a new clutch cable with 4-5 inches more length would suit perfect for my application. I contacted Motion Pro in US who makes such custom cable. It will cost some $60, but the shipping too is $50-60! That made me think that is there any vendor in India or abroad with reasonable shipping cost who can make a good long clutch cable for Ninja 300?

Any pointers? On at least how to save on shipping!
Old 13th October 2017, 12:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Any way to make a custom-length clutch cable?

I can suggest a cheap and interim solution.
Check how the clutch cable is routed today, and try routing it differently. You could save a few cms by re-routing it via a shorter loop.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 15:26   #3
BANNED

re: Any way to make a custom-length clutch cable?

Spot on what Abhishek said. You not only get more usable length but the cable life also increases by a good margin.

If that doesn't cut it for you then you may opt for cables from other motorcycles, preferably from the Kawasaki stable with longer suspension travel. Reason for suggesting this is cause I own a P220 which has undergone a handle bar conversion and I was able to go for the Avenger's cable which was a direct fit. So hope you find a decent match as well.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 17:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any way to make a custom-length clutch cable?

Ashwin, you were right on point. I took the bike to Kawasaki SC and asked them to fit a suitable longer clutch cable. They have used Ninja 650 cable. Now I can use two risers very comfortably, and there is no snag on the clutch either. In fact there is a good amount of free cable still remaining. Thanks for the tip.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 10:23   #5
BANNED

Re: Any way to make a custom-length clutch cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Ashwin, you were right on point. I took the bike to Kawasaki SC and asked them to fit a suitable longer clutch cable. They have used Ninja 650 cable. Now I can use two risers very comfortably, and there is no snag on the clutch either. In fact there is a good amount of free cable still remaining. Thanks for the tip.
That is indeed good news and I'm glad that worked out for you. What would we do without lean productions principles.

The upside of having extra slack is that you get better life and smooth operation feel in spite of the cable being aligned through the stays, but make sure its not touching any of the fairings cause during normal operation there's a chance for accelerated wear markers to form, not a matter of concern for me but its worth keeping in mind as anything Kawasaki doesn't come cheap.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks