Team-BHP - Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/192736-puncture-borrow-air-another-vehicle-my-unique-pipe-design-air-valves-both-ends-3.html)

very innovative idea, your jugaad saved you the hassle of dragging your bike. Good work mate.

clap: Wonderful innovation. Simple and easy to carry along. A bulletproof solution atoobthe bulleters (pun intended).
Really a good solution to ever present threat of a leak or punture to all motorists whether moving on two or four wheels.

Thanks for sharing Tejas Ingle.

Regards
Debasish

Can I take the liberty to give a name for this invention?

"SHAIR" (as in Share some Air") pronounced just like the English word "SHARE"

Back in college days - we were riding KB100, RX100, CD100 and AX? 100 - we had this friend who owned a Yezdi Roadking. His hobby was steal petrol from other bikes to fuel his gas guzzler...his tank bag always contained a PVC bottle (no PET bottles then) and a small funnel to milk the carburetor.

Just kidding. :)

Using your idea, one can use truck tyre tubes to transport gases (like CO2 for firefighting) in an emergency where porting cylinders are not possible. Just use the device in reverse mode: from steel cylinder to tyre tube. Imagine our Jawans "downloading" oxygen through this device from custom-made inflatable tanks in Siachin. No need to airlift heavy steel cylinders, voila!

The facts, that it requires no energy of any kind, anyone can operate it without any training, uses industry-standard components, needs very little space and weight, can be made even as a disposable product...all can make it a killer idea. clap:

Patent it, do not hesitate even for a day. Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle (Post 4310604)
Because a 6 feet long pipe discreetly sat coiled below my pillion seat. This pipe had 'Air filler valves' at both its ends. And this pipe was supposed to pull me out of my situation without dropping a sweat.

clap: clap:
What a gem of an idea, simple, yet effective and easy to assemble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 4311358)
Bravo! This is such a great solution for all bikers, and especially those with tubeless tyres.

Considered patenting this?

Regarding patenting this, I would say we are about 46 years too late.
A google search revealed a patent back in 1971, link. It is called an AIR TRANSFER LINE.

Edit: Some more reading into the original patent got me to a more recent design. LINK

Great Idea! Simple and Effective solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinnerr (Post 4312601)
A google search revealed a patent back in 1971, link. It is called an AIR TRANSFER LINE.

Although it appears to have been patented already, the patent has expired, we can manufacture it.

I found some on sale in Amazon
Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-21dfn1iqmql._sy400_.jpg
link

Anyway, kudos to you for you have come up with this idea ingeneously and made us aware of this elegant solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinnerr (Post 4312601)
clap: clap:

Did you check the validity of the patent, a patent is normally valid for 20 years.
:-)
We may still have a chance !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle (Post 4310604)
A WORD OF CAUTION!
The Pressure in the tyres of trucks ranges from 90psi to 125psi. The pressure in the tyre of a bike is about 35psi. Very little air will be required to inflate your tyre. Be careful and do not end up bursting the tyre.

As others have also said, the 'deluxe' version could also have an in-line pressure gauge :)

Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-ph.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 4311246)
Elgi used to have a small tank (shaped much like the squat 2Kg LPG cylinders) for just this purpose. Might still be available.

Thanks... a tank was my first choice.

I searched everywhere (ranging from the smallest available scuba tank, to portable oxygen cylinders for hospitals, to 0.5HP compressors) - but didn't have much luck when factoring in price & size.

Will see if Elgi leads anywhere!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsathyap (Post 4312574)
"SHAIR" (as in Share some Air") pronounced just like the English word "SHARE"

clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermodynamics (Post 4312669)
Although it appears to have been patented already, the patent has expired, ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by T1000 (Post 4312714)
Did you check the validity of the patent, a patent is normally valid for 20 years...

The last patent seems to have been filed in 2013, the second link in my post above. I did not go through it all, so maybe yeah, there could be some chance, especially adding a gauge in between.

Pics from the 2013 patent.

Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-.png

Puncture? Borrow air from another vehicle with my unique pipe design (air valves at both ends)-b.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmdas (Post 4312588)
Back in college days - we were riding KB100, RX100, CD100 and AX? 100 - we had this friend who owned a Yezdi Roadking. His hobby was steal petrol from other bikes to fuel his gas guzzler...his tank bag always contained a PVC bottle (no PET bottles then) and a small funnel to milk the carburetor.

Just kidding. :)

Using your idea, one can use truck tyre tubes to transport gases (like CO2 for firefighting) in an emergency where porting cylinders are not possible. Just use the device in reverse mode: from steel cylinder to tyre tube. Imagine our Jawans "downloading" oxygen through this device from custom-made inflatable tanks in Siachin. No need to airlift heavy steel cylinders, voila!

The facts, that it requires no energy of any kind, anyone can operate it without any training, uses industry-standard components, needs very little space and weight, can be made even as a disposable product...all can make it a killer idea. clap:

Patent it, do not hesitate even for a day. Cheers!

The reason they use steel cylinders is because of the pressures and amount of gas you need to store. Different metals are used including composites.

But a great simple effective solution, Tejas :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinnerr (Post 4312786)
The last patent seems to have been filed in 2013, the second link in my post above. I did not go through it all, so maybe yeah, there could be some chance, especially adding a gauge in between.

Very interesting, i didn't know even these ideas can be patented.
Imagine the amount of 'jugaad' we do and the patents that can be made!

I believe it costs around 6-8 lakhs to file a patent.
Why would anyone patent an idea, where there is no ROI.

My father-in-law once told me about how he used to have a pipe with one end that goes into the tube/tyre valve and the other end into the spark plug port. He would then either kick start or push the scooter in gear and the compression stroke of the cylinder pumps air into the tyre. I think with today's high compression ratio engines equipped with starter motors you already have a portable pump. With this method you are completely self reliant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 4312729)
Thanks... a tank was my first choice.

I searched everywhere (ranging from the smallest available scuba tank, to portable oxygen cylinders for hospitals, to 0.5HP compressors) - but didn't have much luck when factoring in price & size.

Will see if Elgi leads anywhere!
:

Did a cursory search of the Elgi site. Does not seem to be listed now. So talk to some oldtime Elgi dealers.
raison d'etre was that it would be filled from the main airline. Then air in the tyres could be topped up anywhere on the forecourt, without cars having to queue up for air.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermodynamics (Post 4312669)
Although it appears to have been patented already, the patent has expired, we can manufacture it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T1000 (Post 4312887)
Very interesting, i didn't know even these ideas can be patented.
Imagine the amount of 'jugaad' we do and the patents that can be made!

I believe it costs around 6-8 lakhs to file a patent.
Why would anyone patent an idea, where there is no ROI.

The Gorilla glass was invented and patented by Corning in 1962. It was never been used properly till Apple discovered the patent and persuaded Corning to manufacture it for iPhone. Look at the field day Corning is having now.

The patent filing fee details are here, the amount you mentioned is for maybe global trademark / patent filing:
http://www.ipindia.gov.in/form-and-fees.htm