Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 18:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Benelli Leoncino spied testing in India. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.79 Lakhs

A test mule of the Benelli Leoncino was recently spotted in India. Once launched, the scrambler-styled motorcycle would be the Italian bike maker’s sixth offering in the Indian market.

Benelli Leoncino spied testing in India. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.79 Lakhs-benelli-leoncino1.jpg

The Benelli Leoncino is currently available in the company’s international line-up and measures 2,139 mm in overall length, 877 mm in width and 1,120 mm in height. The seat height is 785 mm and has a wheelbase of 1,443 mm. The bike weighs 186 kg and comes with 13.5 litre fuel tank.

The Leoncino is based on a steel trellis frame and features a dual-tone body. The dual tone front fender has a ‘Lion of Pesaro’ emblem at the leading edge. The circular headlamp houses an LED main beam and DRLs. The indicators too are LED units. The fuel tank has black trim with the Benelli logo on the sides.

Benelli Leoncino spied testing in India. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.79 Lakhs-benelli-leoncino2.jpg

The raised handle bar and the position of the foot pegs suggest that the bike has an upright riding position. The Leoncino comes equipped with 17-inch wheels and it rides on 50 mm upside-down front forks and has a monoshock rear suspension. It has a side-mounted exhaust with a brushed metal finish.

The Benelli Leoncino is powered by a 499.6 cc, in-line twin-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine which produces 47 BHP @ 8,500 rpm and 45 Nm of torque @ 5,000 rpm. The engine is paired with a 6-speed gearbox. Brakes come in the form of twin 320 mm floating discs with 4-piston calipers in the front and a single 260 mm disc with a single piston caliper at the rear equipped with ABS.

Benelli hasn’t made any announcement confirming the Leoncino for India. That said, it might be unveiled at the 2018 Auto Expo.

Source:

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 23rd November 2017 at 18:06.
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 15:10   #2
BHPian

re: Benelli Leoncino spied testing in India. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.79 Lakhs

Thanks for Sharing,

I did not know how to the bike looked so checked it, posting the image for others.
(image Courtesy - Zigwheels)

The power figures suggest the same Unit as upcoming Benelli 402S showcased at EICMA, And competing with RE Twins.

- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 24th November 2017 at 15:11.
Old 4th August 2018, 20:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...0839/?is_amp=1

Might be launching early next year. Looks like a good package, if the new group can price it right, they can expect some good numbers.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 11:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Launch confirmed for tomorrow.

Benelli Leoncino spied testing in India. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.79 Lakhs-benellileoncino500indialaunchteaser7be1.jpg

Link

Funny how the last post on this thread was exactly a year back, and that too by me.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 13:58   #5
BHPian

Any news on the Launch of the Benelli Leoncino?

The Benelli India website has the motorcycle details:

https://india.benelli.com/product/leoncino
Old 5th August 2019, 15:40   #6
BHPian

Benelli Leoncino is launched at Rs 4.79 lakh.

Source: Autocar India

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...79-lakh-413719
nishkamm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 16:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it's a decent pricing, specially seeing they hardly have any competition in this segment. It should do OK, and not be a dud.
Old 5th August 2019, 18:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I think it's a decent pricing, specially seeing they hardly have any competition in this segment. It should do OK, and not be a dud.
Disagree ... dont see how people will buy this over Interceptor 650. half the price, better service network & much cheaper maintenance.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 21:07   #9
BHPian

What a cool looking bike from Benelli. There is something in the design language of all Benelli bikes that makes them stand out. The power figures are decent and 45NM at 5000 rpm sounds exciting. But I sincerely think that Benelli should have tried to price it under 5 lakhs onroad to make a statement. Tried to visit the official website, buy they want us to register/login first.
RD150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 09:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Disagree ... dont see how people will buy this over Interceptor 650. half the price, better service network & much cheaper maintenance.
If we bring RE 650's in the discussion, then not just Benelli but Kawasaki 650's / HD 750 / Triumph Bonneville all look grossly overpriced both in terms of upfront and upkeep costs. I still believe that all these bikes have their own markets and can easily co-exist.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 10:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
If we bring RE 650's in the discussion, then not just Benelli but Kawasaki 650's / HD 750 / Triumph Bonneville all look grossly overpriced both in terms of upfront and upkeep costs. I still believe that all these bikes have their own markets and can easily co-exist.
Agree - if looking at the price alone!

I'd not comment on the HD750 (overall quality) or T100 (price), but if one were to own and ride a Kawasaki 650 or Honda 650, any notion of comparison with a RE 650 would go out the window.
The sheer refinement, comfort, ergonomics, control and performance that these machines provide is leagues ahead of the RE twins.

This is also where the problem for the burgeoning Benelli 500 range lies. They are only slightly under-cutting the actual competition without offering either the pedigree and well-roundedness of their products.
I hope the Leoncino is a step further ahead for Benelli, than what it was able to with the TRK twins. Benelli is offering good looking products, a good warranty proposition but the products need to be very well rounded too.

Note to Competitors - There are plenty of consumers in the market who will pay good money for a well rounded refined product at a reasonable price. They won't even look at the RE twins for their numerous failings. RE isn't the competition however much they might want to be; Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki is what you need to benchmark against, and under-cut. Go after these customers instead of trying to win over RE aficionados.

Last edited by roy_libran : 6th August 2019 at 10:13.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 11:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Benelli Leoncino spied testing in India. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.79 Lakhs

Quote:
You can check the sales trends of both HD 750 & Triumph Bonnie's yourself to figure out whether they got a beating after the launch of RE 650's or not. Besides HD/Triumph/Kawa have atleast the brand name - what does Benelli have ?
Old 6th August 2019, 11:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
You can check the sales trends of both HD 750 & Triumph Bonnie's yourself to figure out whether they got a beating after the launch of RE 650's or not. Besides HD/Triumph/Kawa have atleast the brand name - what does Benelli have ?
Completely agree with your and Roy's POV but my response was more towards your comment on the "half the price and cheaper maintenance" part. What i meant was, if only price mattered, RE would have completely eaten the sub-10 lacs market. I know they have impacted HD 750 greatly but then 750 has its own shortcomings.

Benelli still has one thing which others in this segment lack, it is the bassy exhaust note that they are able to generate from two-cylinder engines. They still satisfy a lot of attention seekers.
Old 6th August 2019, 17:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree with your and Roy's POV but my response was more towards your comment on the "half the price and cheaper maintenance" part. What i meant was, if only price mattered, RE would have completely eaten the sub-10 lacs market. I know they have impacted HD 750 greatly but then 750 has its own shortcomings.
Sub 10lakh market is not a homogeneous group. Someone looking at N650 or CBR or Street Tripple are looking for something completely different. Even D390 buyers won't be cross-shopping with RE twins too much.
But bikes like Bonneville, HD750 which are direct competition are facing a tough time.
I would argue even Leoncino is the same group.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 19:27   #15
BHPian

Can not say about price or brand but surely this is a beautiful bike:

Benelli Leoncino spied testing in India. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.79 Lakhs-benellileoncino500.jpg

And, pillion will not feel like sitting on mountain top.
NH08 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed