Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 14:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Google Maps introduces 2-wheeler mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
But seriously, how is a two wheeler expected to refer to Google maps while riding? Through voice navigation, mobile affixed on the speedometer, HUD on helmet?
Voice navigation using earphones, navigation on smartwatch, mobile-stands for 2-wheelers are available mainstream options.
Ruchitya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 14:35   #17
Team-BHP Support

Finally the update is here! Been waiting for more than a year.

Couple years back, I wanted to go from Mumbai to Pune. This was the first time ever I would have been travelling on this route on my bike. The Google Maps obviously showed the Expressway which doesn't allow the 2-wheelers. I had to ask people on the way from time to time to ensure I was on the the NH4.

After this update, checked the app to find this :
Google Maps introduces 2-wheeler mode-whatsapp-image-20171206-14.02.00-1.jpeg

This may be because the NH4 and Expressway have an overlap in the middle, and people do take their bikes from the expressway for this small part.
Omkar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 14:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
But seriously, how is a two wheeler expected to refer to Google maps while riding? Through voice navigation, mobile affixed on the speedometer, HUD on helmet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Voice navigation using earphones, navigation on smartwatch, mobile-stands for 2-wheelers are available mainstream options.
Let's not forget best of 'em all.. Pillion rider
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 15:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Great feature! I do not ride a 2 wheeler but I hope this will help Google distinguish between roads accessible only to 2-wheelers and other roads. I have been sent on countless occasions by Google on to roads where my car does not fit. Hope such experiences will reduce.
I agree with this, many times google has landed me in narrow lanes and scolding from my wife for following the google "Apsara".
For a change, may god give Google the wisdom (artificial intelligece and natural stupidity) to distinguish roads for 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers
Old 6th December 2017, 15:25   #20
BHPian

But how exactly do two wheeler riders use Google maps while on the go? Through headphones?
Old 6th December 2017, 15:42   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

For the question on how exactly Two wheeler riders will use maps- The on the go part has already been answered.

It can also be important and useful before journey start. I have 5-6 route variants I can take to office depending on whether I am on my bike or car. Until now I check in the morning which one google recommends and then if I am on my bike, based on my experience superimpose the data on how the timing can differ if I am on the bike and then decide which one to take. 2 route variants google does not show at all because it is typically too narrow for cars to take.

Today in bike mode, it was showing one of the variants. Another interesting thing was that in car mode it was showing a '+10 min' congestion at a point. In bike mode, it was showing it as red, but no call out of congestion. This was actually accurate since in this section, there is some shoulder area and most bikes move past the congestion by driving off the road.

So if google is going to rely absolutely on the data from two wheelers for the recommendations, expect to see some interesting ones.

I can almost hear the google lady saying: 'take a slight left on to the footpath and continue for 200 mtrs'
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 15:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Aw man, thats bad news I know some secret lanes in Pune city which I use to bypass traffic. Most people are not aware of those and I use it to my advantage as they are less crowded. Will not be the case going forward.
But it should certainly help 2 wheeler riders getting on Sambhaji Pul, Lakdi pul etc. where 2 wheelers are banned.
Old 6th December 2017, 16:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
But how exactly do two wheeler riders use Google maps while on the go? Through headphones?
Hi,

I recently had to travel to a neighbouring city and that too a pretty specific location by bike. All I did was purchase a mobile/gps mount from Amazon. there are loads of them starting from about 200 bucks going up to Rs 2000.

before mounting my primary phone on it, in order to test the rigidity and of course how well the mount would hold the phone, I tested it with a large non functional phablet at decent speeds. It was pretty rock steady.

I dont like to use earphones since they feel uncomfortable inside the helmet and I like to be able to hear traffic without the distraction of the voice.

So there you have it, a mobile mount is great and comes on the handlebar of the bike and is a 5 min DIY.
Vikram8891 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks