Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2017, 13:15   #1
BHPian

Video: Speeding Ninja 250R crashes into stationary car; biker flung into the air

The Kawasaki was busy swerving left and right at pretty high speeds, some distance ahead, a car had stopped behind another vehicle which had probably broken down and was stationary. As the former waited for vehicles in the*other lane to pass before it could be on its way, its rear mounted camera spotted a Ninja cutting lanes and travelling too fast to brake in time for the hazard ahead. The front camera then captures disturbing visuals of the Kawasaki crashing violently into the stationary car’s boot. Such is the impact, it makes the pillion take air before landing some distance ahead on the road, while the rider’s head crashes into the boot lid and the resultant force makes that piece of metal go out of shape.This video is from Singapore.

Source :: motoroids

Totally unnecessary tragedy. The person who stopped their car in the lane next to the stalled car is 100% responsible for this accident. By choosing to stop beside and slightly behind the stalled car to his right he not only closed the 2nd lane of a 5 lane road but he also obscured the view of the stalled car from upcoming traffic. Had he stopped directly behind the stalled car it would've provided the rider an open lane option when he saw the far right lane was closed. Why would the driver of the car recording the accident choose to stop where he did? Why close another lane of traffic? Why stop at all? There wasn't any life threatening emergency related to the stalled car, right? Yes, the rider was going too fast but in reality he wasn't endangering other drivers in the same way the driver of the car with dash cam was putting other drivers at risk. A good rider on a capable bike can safely exceed the posted limits provided there are no obstacles being hidden from his view. What we are witnessing is, at a minimum, a serious accident unnecessarily caused by a negligent driver. If the victims don't survive I'd say negligent driver is guilty of manslaughter or 2nd degree murder and should be held accountable. Rider should be charged with excessive speed and careless driving.

Last edited by manaljain : 14th December 2017 at 13:19.
manaljain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 14:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Video: Speeding Ninja 250R crashes into stationary car; biker flung into the air

Very tragic and absolutely avoidable if the car was parked where it had to be ; The shoulder.

With the traffic pattern here, which is fast, continuous and pretty much dense for an expressway, this accident is no surprise at all the way the car was parked.

I recollect 5 years before I was being driven in a hired Tavera from Belur to Bangalore with few folks of mine that had my kid and my sister's kid too and few others. The driver wasn't fast at all and maintained 80 KMPH but was always hogging onto the right most lane and the condition of the tires ensured a puncture was waiting to happen and it did.

Fast lane, next to the median, Sunday evening with a lot of Bangalore return traffic, everyone at triple digit speeds or more - 80 KMPH seemed way too slow for our vehicle that it took a while of careful lane changing to move to the shoulder. Our driver was earlier planning to stop right there on the fast lane !

Soon after we moved to the shoulder, I first made the kids get out and walked to the service road crossing the small drain and make them stay there with the ladies while the spare wheel was removed and mounted.

After all, we cannot forget the tragic accident that killed so many on the expressway when a Tempo Traveller was stationary(on shoulder) to change a spare wheel and a bus hit this:

Quote:
Twenty-seven members of a marriage party, including four children, were killed and 26 others injured when a speeding tempo rammed in a stationary bus at Khalapur on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

The incident took place in the wee hours around 1 am when the tyres of one of the mini-buses carrying a marriage party got punctured on the highway and was parked on the roadside while another bus was stationed just behind the vehicle, helping it out with the repairs, they said.

The mishap occurred when a high-speeding tempo lost control and rammed into the second mini bus from the rear, crushing people seated on the road between both the vehicles, police said
Source

Now, forget the fast lane of the slow lane today, when it comes to changing spare wheel, the worst fear I have is to stop on elevated roads when the traffic is light (and speeds are higher). Watch this short clip from my own dashcam and imagine the state where everyone including my car is a Hazard to to anyone approaching from behind. The car that suffered the flat tire had only one choice - Drive to the end of the flyover and change or stay where it was parked and remain a hazard.

You can notice how much I had to wait before even I changed my lane and when I was stationary I quickly turned my hazards on and was waving to invite attention - Despite of driving so much, personally, I was scared indeed and I won't deny that. Just watch the way company buses were passing at breakneck speeds then.

These days, I often tell it to my folks around, that is its indeed unsafe to park the car and change the flat tire even with warning triangles and good hazard lights, drive the car slower and get down to a safer place and get yourself a new tire even if the present one goes for a toss for driving. At least the life of you and your folks and others will always be safer.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th December 2017 at 14:13.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 14:19   #3
BHPian

re: Video: Speeding Ninja 250R crashes into stationary car; biker flung into the air

Apparently, both the pillion and rider were alive 3 months back and I hope and pray that they are doing well now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ike-crash.html
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 14:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Faster you go, farther you need to see - to spot (any obstacles) and stop in time. The biker was too fast for his own good. I shudder to think, what if there was a heavy vehicle overtaking this car from the left just as he was flung into the air - could have been crushed under the wheels.

Glad to hear he made it out of it alive. Would be interesting to hear his side of the story and what he learned from it (if he did).
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 14:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Very tragic and absolutely avoidable if the car was parked where it had to be ; The shoulder.
I think the car broke down. If that happens, how does one go to the shoulder . This accident is completely due to the lunacy of the stupid biker.
reignofchaos is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 14:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

The car that shot the footage was merging on the next lane. I can't make further guesses from the given footage.

The bike made 3-4 lane changes within 3 seconds (0:03 to 0:06) (from the reverse camera footage). If there is anything that's obscured his/her view, it is way the move was made.

If you want to drive/ride fast, do so predictably (with indicators) for yourself and for others. Making multiple lane changes with higher speed than one around you, will neither help you nor the others.

The same goes to riding/driving slower than the vehicles around.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 14:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I think the car broke down. If that happens, how does one go to the shoulder . This accident is completely due to the lunacy of the stupid biker.
Not denying that at all! I was only trying to bring in other factors that make people stop on the road and become stationary and be hazardous to others and hence the flat tire instances and how even that has taken away many lives came into picture.

A broken down car on the fast lane is a disaster waiting to happen, especially on such fast corridors shown in the video.

The only safest thing to quickly do is to place the warning triangle at an ideal (and far) location as mentioned in the manual and wave the traffic physically to grab attention - But then, what if you just stopped and it just happened, there is just no time.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th December 2017 at 14:50.
Old 14th December 2017, 14:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
The Kawasaki

Totally unnecessary tragedy. The person who stopped their car in the lane next to the stalled car is 100% responsible for this accident. By choosing to stop beside and slightly behind the stalled car to his right he not only closed the 2nd lane of a 5 lane road but he also obscured the view of the stalled car from upcoming traffic. Had he stopped directly behind the stalled car it would've provided the rider an open lane option when he saw the far right lane was closed. Why would the driver of the car recording the accident choose to stop where he did? Why close another lane of traffic? Why stop at all? There wasn't any life threatening emergency related to the stalled car, right? Yes, the rider was going too fast but in reality he wasn't endangering other drivers in the same way the driver of the car with dash cam was putting other drivers at risk. . If the victims don't survive I'd say negligent driver is guilty of manslaughter or 2nd degree murder and should be held accountable. Rider should be charged with excessive speed and careless driving.
OT: This is an old video (3-6 months) and the bike in action is a Ninja 250R and not a ZX10R. Hope the rider and the pillion are alive and well.

On the topic of who is to blame for the accident is debatable. I believe that being a motorcycle rider, one has to be extremely careful on the motorways and the rider in this video seems to be over speeding while swerving through traffic which greatly reduces the vision and reflexes. I am sure if he was riding in the right lane at nominal speeds he would've noticed the traffic piling ahead and slowed down well in time.
But again, these are my assumptions and I may not be right.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 15:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Totally unnecessary tragedy. The person who stopped their car in the lane next to the stalled car is 100% responsible for this accident.
That's rather unfair comment IMHO, the car with cameras was trying to join back the moving lanes of highway. He may be an average skill driver to get stuck behind a broken down car but he is no way responsible for the mess biker created for himself & the pillion rider.
Btw, there is no shoulder on the highway, where does a car stop in case of breakdown? Why biker chose to overtake from wrong lane, without getting the full visibility of the path?

Apparently, bikers can do no wrong, not only in India but across the world

Couldn't control the rant!

Last edited by Acharya : 14th December 2017 at 15:05.
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 15:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

First of all this is not a ZX10r it is a 250r, secondly it is totally the fault of both the cars IMO. Who stops on the fast lane? People have this weird habit of getting a puncture and stopping wherever they notice it, be it in the fast lane or on a flyover. I doubt that the white audi's engine just seized randomly in the fast lane. Modern cars have tubeless tyres, give warnings, go into limp mode etc all to avoid such idiotic nonsense. That said, I myself have learnt the hard way, that one ought to be extra cautious on a bike, in the end no point fighting with god in heaven saying it is this guys fault, that guys fault. You need to be responsible for your own well-being.

Government and its license issuing authorities must be held responsible if they don't teach everyone the basics to ensuring road safety.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th December 2017 at 15:40.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 16:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

If we just compare the average speed of other vehicles in the video versus the speed of bike, it is very evident and straight forward case of rash driving by the biker. I think he deserves whatever has happened.

As far as the car that shot the scene is concerned, it was just at 0-10 kms per hour speed range from 00:00 to 0:04 secs. Suddenly from nowhere, a bike appears at 00:04 secs and within 0:06 secs, if the biker decides to overtake and hits the stationary, what can the car in slow motion do in 2 secs.

I honestly feel the biker deserves this. Somehow, I do not get any pity on these kinds of drivers and do not like to wish them speedy recovery or alive etc. I am really sorry for being harsh. But, I strongly believe Roads are for commuting from one place to another. Not to show off how skilled I am. If one wants to show off how skilled is he, there are many other places

Last edited by gkveda : 14th December 2017 at 16:35.
Old 14th December 2017, 16:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
If we just compare the average speed of other vehicles in the video versus the speed of bike, it is very evident and straight forward case of rash driving by the biker. I think he deserves whatever has happened.

I honestly feel the biker deserves this. Somehow, I do not get any pity on these kinds of drivers and do not like to wish them speedy recovery or alive etc. I am really sorry for being harsh. But, I strongly believe Roads are for commuting from one place to another. Not to show off how skilled I am. If one wants to show off how skilled is he, there are many other places
You may not feel any pity towards the rider, but honestly what do you think gives you or any of us, the right to condemn him by saying that he deserves it? Sure the roads are meant for commuting and he is using it for more than that, let him go on and maybe lose control, that's on him. That is his/her responsibility. It is not our responsibility to dictate his future or endanger his life by parking in the fast lane or watching the video and saying that he deserves it. If the roads are just meant for commuting, why overlook the fact that the cars have decided to use fast lane of the road as their personal driveway by just stopping there? Don't you think they have sealed the biker's fate by acting so oblivious? There are certain ethics involved when sharing the road with so many users we are not anyone to judge and say that someone deserves it, we must try our best not to dictate how their future goes by not acting oblivious, parking in the fast lane. We must take responsibility for ourselves just like that biker should have taken the responsibility for himself and his pillion. We cannot assume the responsibility to sentence or condemn others like this.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th December 2017 at 16:50.
Old 14th December 2017, 16:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You may not feel any pity towards the rider, but honestly what do you think gives you or any of us, the right to condemn him by saying that he deserves it?.
My logic is very simple:

1. The stalled car was in that position definitely at least since 4-5 mins ago. Looking at the speed of the car that shot the video, even this car did not appear from nowhere to hinder the biker's path in 2 secs.

2. Just for a second, let us assume the biker was riding at the same speed or just above the average speed of other cars(Not the speed of scene shot car or stalled car)
Don't you think he could have maneuvered the direction of bike to avoid ?

3. Or Just assume, the biker was riding in the SAME speed as he was on the same lane where the car was parked. Don't you think, he would have had enough time to maneuver the bike and move to next empty lane?

The only reason I see is, he maneuvered from extreme left to extreme right by overtaking few cars and could not go back to the same left lane because of speed and sudden appearance of the obstruct. This is the cause of accident.

I am not saying PARKING at middle of the road or on a fast lane is RIGHT. But, in this case, for this accident to occur, complete fault is the rash driving.

Last edited by gkveda : 14th December 2017 at 16:55.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 17:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Totally unnecessary tragedy. The person who stopped their car in the lane next to the stalled car is 100% responsible for this accident. By choosing to stop beside and slightly behind the stalled car to his right he not only closed the 2nd lane of a 5 lane road but he also obscured the view of the stalled car from upcoming traffic. Had he stopped directly behind the stalled car it would've provided the rider an open lane option when he saw the far right lane was closed. Why would the driver of the car recording the accident choose to stop where he did? Why close another lane of traffic? Why stop at all? There wasn't any life threatening emergency related to the stalled car, right? Yes, the rider was going too fast but in reality he wasn't endangering other drivers in the same way the driver of the car with dash cam was putting other drivers at risk.
Firstly, you cant blame the car with the dashcam. In such countries, they take lane discipline quite seriously and as you move right towards the fast lanes, each lane has a higher moving speeds. Him being on the right most lane, ideally he should have changed to the left earlier, but the right most lane would have had a pretty high speed compared to the other lanes. Hence, the reaction time is less for him to react and switch lanes. The cars on the left lane would also be doing good speeds so the car has stopped and is waiting for a chance to get into the left lane. Its better than trying to make a last minute lane change and getting rear ended by someone on that lane. People dont expect such things to happen.

The car which had stopped on the right lane is partly to blame, but say he has a breakdown, it wont be easy to switch so many lanes and get to the left side of the road. However, you can notice that the driver side door is open and maybe the car stopped just then. He has pulled over to the side how much ever he could.

Coming to the biker, there was no necessity for him to swerve across so many lanes from the left and then suddenly try to nudge the gap between the car with the camera and the shoulder. That is the main issue. If he were in the same lane as these cars from much earlier, he could have noticed that there was something wrong with the cars and they were slowing down. No matter how experienced he might have been, its plain stupidity. Since he was attacking the car diagonally, he would have not noticed the stationary car until the last moment.

Regarding pulling to the side of the road, yes one must do it as far as possible. However, in case of accidents etc there wont be an option to. Last few weeks when I was in Germany I witnessed three accidents on the autobahn of which two were rear endings because a slow car entered the fast lane and one because both cars were travelling at the same speeds near each other on two lanes, and the guy on the fast lane decided to come back to the slow lane and realised that this car was not as slow as he expected. Germans have an aggressive driving style and do quick lane changes. Hence, the damage occurred soon.

The cars are supposed to stop right where the crash happened and they need to wait for police to arrive. But before this, the drivers are responsible to place warning triangles and they had done it promptly. Though it had happened in the fast lane, the diversion warning was good enough for me to switch to the slow lane. Does involve judgement and a good gap in traffic to change lanes at these situations. Hence in this scenario, it isnt easy to swap lanes and zoom off.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 18:44   #15
BHPian

To say whose mistake is one thing. Perhaps the stationary car in the fast lane was the first mistake. BUT who suffers? Ultimately the biker would be the one to suffer in ANY accident. So for his own safety he should be more careful - it's not about whose mistake it is - it is also about who carries more risk and that person should be more careful.

So, to me, the biker should have been more careful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks