Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2017, 23:49   #1
BHPian

Keep my CBZ Xtreme or buy new TVS Jupiter?

Folks,

I am sorry but yes, this is going to be a long post.

Actually, I am confused if I should get myself a new two-wheeler or not.

Here is the complete background, I have a 2007 model CBZ Xtreme which has clocked 38k genuinely and I believe that the bike is in top condition as far as the engine is concerned. It’s single-handed usage, very well taken care off, always washed/polished, one kickstart and every switch works as expected to be. Whoever rides the bike also says that the engine still has the grunt. Even the tires are just 2000km old Michelins. I am posting few pictures of the bike.

Basically, I am facing issues with the suspension since last one year now. Front forks have been replaced from the A.S.S and then from a friendly mechanic, but they are still very stiff. Due to which the front bounces too much - moreover I can feel every bad patch of the road.

What I doubt is that the forks replaced by FNG are not the right ones, they are not the genuine ones for sure. Also, I believe they are slightly shorter in length (may be of some other model) which is why they do not retract as they should, but there is no way I can verify this. Another point is, I have to bend down a little more than earlier to hold the handlebar and I cannot sit straight as it used to be before.

Almost same is the condition with rear shock absorbers. They are hard and screaming for a replacement.

Fed up with sorting the suspension issues, recently I made up my mind to buy a new scooter and I finalized TVS Jupiter. I visited the showroom and they quoted merely 7k to 10k for exchanging the bike, which I feel is not enough. Then I tried selling off through other channels, there also I am getting 13k at the maximum since it’s a ten-year-old bike (no one cares about the condition though) and on the top people are reluctant to transfer the ownership.

At home, we already have a Suzuki Access and Honda Activa which are being used by my father and Wife respectively. I use them occasionally but the daily affair is a no-no.

Now I am stuck, should I sell the bike for such a low price and go for TVS Jupiter

OR

Should I give one more shot to spend money to buy genuine front forks, springs etc. along with the rear shock absorbers. Suggestions regarding raising the handlebar would be heartily appreciated.

Since the bike has been so close to my heart, I have its registration number as my username for my emails and forum ID as well

Please help!!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Keep my CBZ Xtreme or buy new TVS Jupiter?-img_20171028_125929.jpg  

Keep my CBZ Xtreme or buy new TVS Jupiter?-img_20171028_125958.jpg  

Keep my CBZ Xtreme or buy new TVS Jupiter?-img_20171028_130022.jpg  

Keep my CBZ Xtreme or buy new TVS Jupiter?-img_20171028_130256.jpg  

Keep my CBZ Xtreme or buy new TVS Jupiter?-img_20171028_130414.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2017 at 14:51. Reason: Typos
ks1418 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:46   #2
BHPian

re: Keep my CBZ Xtreme or buy new TVS Jupiter?

Since the CBZ is close to your heart here is what I think.

Keep the CBZ, restore it slowly, use it sparingly and enjoy it on weekends.

If your daily commute is on the higher side do consider a new Bike instead of a scooter. viz - Unicorn / FZ16 which are very good proven workhorses.

I own the Jupiter for the last 2.5 years and it has been totally problem free, but only for shorter distances and mainly used by the wife. Have taken it on the highways a few times and because I am much used to the motorcycles, I found that the scooters are better used best only within city use.

For daily longish commute I would suggest a bigger tyred, better suspensioned bike since you are used to the CBZ.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:50   #3
BANNED

re: Keep my CBZ Xtreme or buy new TVS Jupiter?

Just a couple of things off the top of my head;

1. A frequently washed motorcycle has a higher chance of mechanical/electrical failure than an unwashed motorcycle.

2. Just because a motorcycle looks good doesn't mean that the same is in top mechanical/electrical condition.

3. Hero spares are super expensive and hard to source so choose wisely before you go in for an overhaul.

4. Those aftermarket lights on the crash guard, if you've got it fixed from a local store then there's a high chance that they've compromised the integrity of your wiring harness.

5. Due to Hero having many iterations of the same model the possibility of messing up is high, hence if going for a complete overhaul make sure you source parts with the exact same part number as mentioned in your parts manual and make sure you replace both dust and oil seals, also make sure that the coils are in spec, if not replace them as well. The fork oil also plays a role in front end stiffness so do make sure you're using the recommended grade. Since you're taking apart the front end make sure you replace the cone-set as well.

6. Don't grab the handle bar too hard, the handle bar is just there for you to steer the motorcycle not to grab on to it, you are supposed to grab on to the motorcycle with your thighs not your hands.

7. The alloys on your motorcycle are made by Enkei and cost roughly 5k per piece, your carburetor is made by Keihin and costs roughly 5k, the point I'm trying to make is that your motorcycle is worth more than the mere pittance offered in exchange. So its a no brainer that you should keep the motorcycle in spite of maintenance being on the higher side.
ashwinprakas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:31   #4
BHPian

Re: Keep my CBZ Xtreme or buy new TVS Jupiter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Since the CBZ is close to your heart here is what I think.

Keep the CBZ, restore it slowly, use it sparingly and enjoy it on weekends.

If your daily commute is on the higher side do consider a new Bike instead of a scooter. viz - Unicorn / FZ16 which are very good proven workhorses.

I own the Jupiter for the last 2.5 years and it has been totally problem free, but only for shorter distances and mainly used by the wife. Have taken it on the highways a few times and because I am much used to the motorcycles, I found that the scooters are better used best only within city use.

For daily longish commute I would suggest a bigger tyred, better suspensioned bike since you are used to the CBZ.
Thank you for the suggestion.

My running is just 30kms a day and that too not daily. But due to parking space issues I can either keep CBZ or the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Just a couple of things off the top of my head;

1. A frequently washed motorcycle has a higher chance of mechanical/electrical failure than an unwashed motorcycle.

2. Just because a motorcycle looks good doesn't mean that the same is in top mechanical/electrical condition.

3. Hero spares are super expensive and hard to source so choose wisely before you go in for an overhaul.

4. Those aftermarket lights on the crash guard, if you've got it fixed from a local store then there's a high chance that they've compromised the integrity of your wiring harness.

5. Due to Hero having many iterations of the same model the possibility of messing up is high, hence if going for a complete overhaul make sure you source parts with the exact same part number as mentioned in your parts manual and make sure you replace both dust and oil seals, also make sure that the coils are in spec, if not replace them as well. The fork oil also plays a role in front end stiffness so do make sure you're using the recommended grade. Since you're taking apart the front end make sure you replace the cone-set as well.

6. Don't grab the handle bar too hard, the handle bar is just there for you to steer the motorcycle not to grab on to it, you are supposed to grab on to the motorcycle with your thighs not your hands.

7. The alloys on your motorcycle are made by Enkei and cost roughly 5k per piece, your carburetor is made by Keihin and costs roughly 5k, the point I'm trying to make is that your motorcycle is worth more than the mere pittance offered in exchange. So its a no brainer that you should keep the motorcycle in spite of maintenance being on the higher side.
Thanks, but being using the bike for last ten years and being aware of how well this is maintained I can vouch for the mechanical condition of the bike.

It is just because of the suspension issues that I am not able to sort out. Apart from the suspension issues I don't have a reason to sell this off.
Old 22nd December 2017, 22:03   #5
BHPian

My two bits : Don't even go near to a scooter and especially a Jupiter which has a very soft suspension. You can virtually feel every speed breaker on your back for 30KMs of daily commute. If suspension and comfort along with saftey (relative) is the concern than don't even look towards a scooter. Go for either restoring OR a new bike.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 02:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Not sure on the hard to source. Unless you are looking for specific external panels I do not have any issues with sourcing parts for my 2001 Model CBZ. There is also an overlap with spares from other models. Example is my bike's central Locking although not available if you search for it in CBZ product catalog it is the same as HH Passion Model.
Old 24th December 2017, 07:53   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks1418 View Post
Should I give one more shot to spend money to buy genuine front forks, springs etc. along with the rear shock absorbers. Suggestions regarding raising the handlebar would be heartily appreciated.
Don't you think of migrating to a scooter after getting used to a bike for so long. Not worth it. A scooter can never match the ride quality, comfort that a bike offers so my advice is to get the bike repaired and use it.

Get in touch with Hero spares division and get original spares for the bike. Change both the front and rear suspension. You being in Delhi, getting parts from Hero will be easier and faster.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 12:21   #8
BHPian

Contact musheer at Ess aay agencies Karol Bagh. A very good mechanic. I feel that the initial overhaul was not done correctly. Front forks need to be bled of excess air. OE parts can be purchased at Naiwala.
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 15:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Don't you think of migrating to a scooter after getting used to a bike for so long. Not worth it. A scooter can never match the ride quality, comfort that a bike offers so my advice is to get the bike repaired and use it.

Get in touch with Hero spares division and get original spares for the bike. Change both the front and rear suspension. You being in Delhi, getting parts from Hero will be easier and faster.
That's true that scooter cannot match the ride quality but I am attracted to the ease of gearless scooter in Delhi's traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks