Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2017, 18:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

2018 Hero Super Splendor, Passion Pro, Passion XPro unveiled

Hero MotoCorp has unveiled the 2018 Super Splendor, Passion Pro and Passion XPro models. The latest iterations of these commuter bikes get cosmetic as well as mechanical updates. The bikes will be launched in January 2018.

2018 Hero Super Splendor, Passion Pro, Passion XPro unveiled-super-splendor.jpg

The 2018 Super Splendor gets a new seat and redesigned bodywork along with a new LED tail lamp. It comes with new body graphics and will be offered in five colour options.

2018 Hero Super Splendor, Passion Pro, Passion XPro unveiled-passion-pro.jpg

The 2018 Passion Pro gets a new headlamp and restyled bodywork. The front cowl houses a digital-analogue instrument cluster, while the rear features a new tail lamp while the new Passion XPro comes in a dual-tone colour scheme with a new headlamp, LED tail lamp, dual-tone mirrors and a rear hugger.

2018 Hero Super Splendor, Passion Pro, Passion XPro unveiled-passion-xpro.jpg

The Super Splendor is powered by the 124.7cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine, but it now produces 11.4 BHP @ 7,500 rpm and 11 Nm of torque @ 6,000 rpm. The bike comes with a 4-speed gearbox and a wider rear tyre.

Both the Passion Pro and Passion XPro use the same 109cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine. It has been re-tuned to produce 9.4 BHP @ 7,500 rpm and 9 Nm of torque @ 5,500 rpm.

All the bikes come with Automatic Headlamp On (AHO), side stand indicator, under seat storage and the i3S start-stop system. While the standard variants of these are offered with drum brakes on both ends, the front disk brake is offered as an optional extra only on the Passion Pro and XPro.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:31   #2
BHPian

Re: 2018 Hero Super Splendor, Passion Pro, Passion XPro unveiled

Wonder how many years is Hero Motocorp going to churn out sales on these outdated designs. Honda Shine looks way better than these and Honda has been doing well in the 100 cc segments as well. Hero is just going backwards in time or let's say they haven't progressed with other players launching in better products.
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

These models fail to die. I can't imagine how many more decades, the Passions and Splendors are going to be be available. Each iteration seems to have minor cosmetic changes and nothing else. On top of that, to increase mileage, account for the new graphics, LCD display and LED lights, the manufacturer has been cutting costs and making the bikes lighter every year. I have extensively ridden the 1st gen Splendor, Passion and have experienced the newer ones over the years. I know what I am talking about.

This is general observation. A couple of decades ago, the 2/4 wheelers were built to last a decade or at least with basic maintenance. Over the years, planned obsolescence is implemented. The machines are loaded to new features but feel flimsy (relatively) in all other areas.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 18:43   #4
BHPian

As a Hero Dealer, I am satisfied with these launches. Passion X-Pro was much needed in the market, a more powerful Passion Pro will help distinguish it from the Splendor market.

The biggest issue Hero has is not their motorcycles but the scooter segment.
Old 26th December 2017, 19:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarshah View Post
As a Hero Dealer, I am satisfied with these launches. Passion X-Pro was much needed in the market, a more powerful Passion Pro will help distinguish it from the Splendor market.

The biggest issue Hero has is not their motorcycles but the scooter segment.[/b]
Read somewhere (can't remember where) and it goes like these: "Great / Legendary brands are Accidents in History". Quite true, for example HONDA the Originator of the two Legendary brands Splendor and Activa, can't make another Splendor or Activa once again. The best Hero can do is to extend its Good fortune with the Splendor ("kitna deti hai" motorcycles) and Honda with the Activa ("kitna deti hai" scooters).

Hero definitely wants to break away with the Honda derived engines with its own self developed engines. But will Hero have enough guts to do away with the Original Honda Cub derived, 98 cc, Horizontal / sloper engine from its Splendor?

BTW I did not get the idea behind two model Passion Pro and Passion X-Pro. Same engine with almost same looks. The x-Pro is supposed to be the sharper variant, but I find the Passion Pro model to be more proportionate than the X-Pro model.

Last edited by payeng : 26th December 2017 at 19:50.
Old 27th December 2017, 11:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Read somewhere (can't remember where) and it goes like these: "Great / Legendary brands are Accidents in History". Quite true, for example HONDA the Originator of the two Legendary brands Splendor and Activa, can't make another Splendor or Activa once again. The best Hero can do is to extend its Good fortune with the Splendor ("kitna deti hai" motorcycles) and Honda with the Activa ("kitna deti hai" scooters).

Hero definitely wants to break away with the Honda derived engines with its own self developed engines. But will Hero have enough guts to do away with the Original Honda Cub derived, 98 cc, Horizontal / sloper engine from its Splendor?

BTW I did not get the idea behind two model Passion Pro and Passion X-Pro. Same engine with almost same looks. The x-Pro is supposed to be the sharper variant, but I find the Passion Pro model to be more proportionate than the X-Pro model.
The agreement between Honda and Hero to share technology just expired a couple of years ago, so I am sure it will take them a few years to develop any technology completely different from Honda. Whether of not they can truly innovate is the biggest unknown, we will have to see with the Xtreme 200 launching at Auto Expo and plans to have a completely separate dealer network for premium vehicles. At the same time neither Hero or Honda will be able to compete with Royal Enfield for many years.

As for Passion Pro vs. X-Pro, X-Pro will be higher priced and a relaunch of a brand that had some foothold in the 110cc category. A lot of consumers now want something more powerful than the regular Splendor but not as expensive as the 125cc variants so both will help there.
Old 27th December 2017, 13:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarshah View Post
The agreement between Honda and Hero to share technology just expired a couple of years ago, so I am sure it will take them a few years to develop any technology completely different from Honda. Whether of not they can truly innovate is the biggest unknown, we will have to see with the Xtreme 200 launching at Auto Expo and plans to have a completely separate dealer network for premium vehicles. At the same time neither Hero or Honda will be able to compete with Royal Enfield for many years.

Hero has already made initial strides with its self developed engines:

The 110 cc engine (Splendor i Smart 110 and the latest Passion Pro & Passion X-Pro) & the 125 cc engine (New Glamour, Glamour Fi and the latest Super Splendor). Guess the scooters too have a new 110 cc engine.

Developing New (200 cc+) engines is insignificant right now. What Hero is most concerned about is to successfully and smoothly replace its 100-125 cc engines that make up for its bulk of its sales.

Hero is testing the waters with its 125 and 110 cc engines before it completely ditches the Honda engines. The real deal would be to replace the hallowed 98 cc, Honda Cub derived, Horizontal Sloper engine on the single brand that established Hero ie. the "Splendor".

Last edited by payeng : 27th December 2017 at 13:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks