Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2018, 17:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Dominar non-ABS variants discontinued. EDIT: Bajaj denies the rumour

Bajaj has decided to discontinue the Non-ABS variants of its flagship model, the Dominar 400.

This news comes shortly after the 2018 facelift was introduced with new paint schemes and certain minor improvements.

The reason for this move seems to be the fact that nearly 80% of Dominar sales were for the ABS variant only. Bajaj has sighted the same reason to pull the non-ABS Dominar out of production.

The move might also have been taken due to the fact that all motorcycles will have to be equipped with ABS as standard from April, 2019 onwards.

The Dominar was launched in January, 2017 and targeted the cruiser segment. However, Bajaj's aim of overtaking RE doesn't seem to have come true. The Classic and the Thunderbird continue to outsell the Dominar.

Source: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/bajaj-dom...tinued-1821260

Dominar non-ABS variants discontinued. EDIT: Bajaj denies the rumour-img_0706.jpg
vishy76 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 18:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Dominar non-ABS variants discontinued. EDIT: Bajaj denies the rumour

Firstly, Dominar is a promising product and it’s earned its niche for itself.

From what I can gather from a biker perspective, it’s not achieving the sales numbers as forecasted by Bajaj mostly for the following reasons;

1) They should have left the RE brand aside and should’ve introduced the product as an independent genre of bike - the POWER CRUISER!

2) Pathetic ad campaign that’s actually damaging the brands value for taking back to back hit at RE. No true biker would approve of it. Perhaps, one of major drawbacks of the advertisers poor mentality at picking up an indirectly direct fight at RE. RE is a different brand that’s earned its respect in the hearts of the bikers. It’s saddening to see a good bike maker stooping down to third grade level of advertising the bike to earn sales.

3) Minority of % potential buyers thinking of after sales service in non-metro cities?

I’m surprised as to why they picked the unwanted ad campaign when RE is no direct competition to any of Bajaj’s products. Besides, they didn’t stoop down to this level when they had fearsome competition back in the decade when they were going head to head with HH ZMA with Pulsar 220.

Dominar as a product is a brilliant machine put together IMHO! I hope the sales numbers rise moving forward and someone pass this strong message onto Bajaj’s advertisers to come up with upholding their own brand value in future.
gururajrv is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 20:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post

From what I can gather from a biker perspective, it’s not achieving the sales numbers as forecasted by Bajaj mostly for the following reasons;

APPLAUSE. Like the Move (of removing the non-ABS variant).

The Dominar is an excellent proposition, NO NEED to make it a VFM one. No point going after crazy sales and let ones that appreciate it go ahead and get it. Better demand Premium for all that the product provides.

Dominar will appeal to ones who Will NEVER like to own a Royal Enfield. And right now it seems most like to follow the (RE) Herd. Shouldn't bother Bajaj.

(2-3)K domestic sales per month is good I would say for a product like this which costs nearly 2 lakhs.

Quote:

2) Pathetic ad campaign that’s actually damaging the brands value for taking back to back hit at RE. No true biker would approve of it. Perhaps, one of major drawbacks of the advertisers poor mentality at picking up an indirectly direct fight at RE. RE is a different brand that’s earned its respect in the hearts of the bikers. It’s saddening to see a good bike maker stooping down to third grade level of advertising the bike to earn sales.

I don't have the opinion that Advertisement has a major role to play in the sales success or failure, especially more than the product itself.

Riding a RE is the best way to stand out in a crowd and make ones presence FELT/SEEN/HEARD. Don't think anyone would disagree with that simple logic. One can't buy more "MACHO" with 1-2 Lakhs Indian Rupees in India than a RE.

Reason why Royal Enfield is selling is because Customers Want to Buy it. Simple! Who wouldn't want to buy MACHO?

By the way, I like the "Haathi" Ads.

Last edited by SDP : 11th March 2018 at 09:29. Reason: Merging back to back posts
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 09:43   #4
BHPian

This is probably the only time I have been happy with Bajaj discontinuing a premium product! When the NS was discontinued, it made me feel sore as I owned one but thankfully spare parts were always available.

As already pointed out by the posts above, in terms of sales, Dominar is not bringing in the numbers we as bikers expected. I feel a lot of it has to do with the fact that Bajaj never advertised with the frequency they should have.

I remember that even when Pulsar was a success, Bajaj used to keep hammering their ads on TV. I think I have only seen the Dominar ad on TV a dozen times so far in the past year.

Anyway, staying on topic, this makes total sense. ABS is the way to go. Of course it isnt optimal in all situations but where this bike is intended to go, I think ABS only is logical.
Vikram8891 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 10:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Bajaj has decided to discontinue the Non-ABS variants of its flagship model, the Dominar 400.
What a welcome move it is! I'm glad that they pulled the plug on the non-ABS version. While the bike itself might not be setting the charts on fire but, as petrolheads, we can at least be satisfied that if someone decided to buy such a VYF bike, they are getting the better version compared to a non-ABS one.

Now, how I wish they decided to get the ABS on their Avenger series and stop the production of non-ABS models.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 11:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Almost yes. Mojo came before technically to kick things off but didn't really take off per se.

Quote:
1) They should have left the RE brand aside and should’ve introduced the product as an independent genre of bike - the POWER CRUISER!
Yes. 100% agree and I'm with you on this one. Being a former RE owner; all said and done I still enjoy riding REs. Maybe it's the sardar in me But for all it's faults, you cannot deny RE's charm.

Quote:
2) Pathetic ad campaign that’s actually damaging the brands value for taking back to back hit at RE.
Very bad call by the AD agency and Bajaj. Once; it was funny "haathi mat paalo" was hilarious at first. But now all their ad campaigns are just about that only. it's like

Let's not forget the Dominar Vs Social Media campaign. Seriously, what was that about? Targeting millenials? This is hardly the kind of bike Millenials will want and ride IMHO. They should have focused on their target audience properly.

Quote:
Besides, they didn’t stoop down to this level when they had fearsome competition back in the decade when they were going head to head with HH ZMA with Pulsar 220.
Definitely Male. What an ad and what a tagline.

Quote:
Dominar as a product is a brilliant machine put together IMHO! I hope the sales numbers rise moving forward and someone pass this strong message onto Bajaj’s advertisers to come up with upholding their own brand value in future.
Well put. Couldn't have summed it up better. Bajaj should focus on their product's strengths and stop comparing. It shows an inferiority complex which shouldn't even be there for Bajaj and completely unexpected from them.

Last edited by noopster : 9th March 2018 at 12:27. Reason: Please restrict smiley usage to 2/post
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 00:02   #7
BHPian

There is something about some of our homegrown companies that have long regarded the Indian consumers as lame ducks.

Peddling low standards in quality, features & almost zero rider safety considerations, they have managed to extort their sales targets without really offering any genuine true value/consideration to their consumers. We have been treated with a take-it-or-leave-it strategy till the Dominar came along.

What Bajaj has done with Dominar (& in the past with the Pulsar & Avenger series) is to break the norms - to raise the bar. Repeatedly.

While Siddhartha Lal must be given credit where it is due for bringing RE back from the brink, sadly he is guilty of using the old Hindustan Motors approach (remember our grand old lady, the Ambassador) in letting things run as they are till forced to change. It took a couple of consumers taking RE to court with the Himalayan BS3 fiasco to bring RE down from its inflated ego.

Lal was wise enough to heed the clarion call sounded by Bajaj (among others) about the way the future market demands are turning - so better late than never. The consumer can look forward to better days in the offing.

Getting back to the point of this thread: what Bajaj has done by not offering the non-ABS version of its flagship model henceforth is highlight the mood of the Indian motorcyclist today : we are ready for safety & features, sir - just make it affordable for the masses.

RE enthusiasts must ignore those funny, immature and completely unnecessary Haathi Ad campaigns that have divided the riders today (as if we Indians don't have to squabble about already) & their so-so attempt at making the Dominar as aspiration worthy as RE product (Macho or what ever else they appeal as).

Bajaj has to be credited for steering the mass market towards value creation. And its about time it happened, for crying out loud!

Last edited by rideon74 : 10th March 2018 at 00:11.
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 00:21   #8
BHPian

I just did a tour of South India on a ABS version of the Dominar (2600kms, report coming)...

I gotta say, for a homegrown product which is competing with RE its impressive. Sure RE is buying into the Indian market with the HD type approach with apparel and lifestyle, but for a tourer for the current Indian road condition, its fantastic vehicle. Even being a older model/rental it still got looks.

Bajaj has it and is pushing into a newer market type, just give it some time and work with the market. Deleting non-ABS options makes it easier to build and have less variations on there line. The Haathi ad allows them to poke after those riders who are not sure with RE or other bikes in the segment. If I was looking for a sub 400cc bike in India I would definitely look at the Dominar other than dealing with dirt roads....
Bhatman510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 08:54   #9
Team-BHP Support

There is nothing great in applauding this move from BAL as bikes over 125cc from April '18 are supposed to come with ABS. That should explain it and not that BAL has suddenly become sensitive towards riders.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 12:23   #10
BHPian

Kudos, but nothing noble when you consider they anyways need to kill the non ABS once the law comes into effect.

What's more laudable is the consumer mindset, for a change, majority has opted for the ABS varient. Which is surprising considering the mixed bag of buyers BAL attracts.

I recall a decade back, I was in Maruti showroom to checking out a top spec WagorR the SA himself persuaded me from opting the ABS + Airbag 'O' version. Thankfully, times are changing.

The RE bashing ads were uncalled for, though I doubt if it would have had any impact on sales. Bajaj had some of the best ads in the auto world, did they change their agency ?
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 15:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The reason for this move seems to be the fact that nearly 80% of Dominar sales were for the ABS variant only. Bajaj has sighted the same reason to pull the non-ABS Dominar out of production.

The move might also have been taken due to the fact that all motorcycles will have to be equipped with ABS as standard from April, 2019 onwards.
Great to see that the buyers themselves are preferring the ABS version. I sure the marginal price difference between the two variants has played its part but I am happy to read the modern day bikers now value ABS in case of high powered bikes. I had a Honda CBR250 STD and I always felt the need for the ABS. I believe Honda and Yamaha too should make ABS as a standard fitment in their high powered bikes as soon as possible.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 14:03   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dominar non-ABS variants discontinued. EDIT: Bajaj denies the rumour

Bajaj denies the rumour. This just in:

Quote:
Clarification from Bajaj Auto - Bajaj Auto continues to sell Dominar 400 non ABS variant

There have been some reports in the media about the discontinuation of Dominar 400 non ABS variant. Bajaj Auto would like to clarify that the Dominar 400 Non ABS variant is available and is supplied in Matt Black colour. The ABS variant of Dominar 400 is available in Matt Black, Canyon Red and Glacier Blue colour options.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks