Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2018, 23:31   #31
BHPian

Re: AHO-LED high beam menace

My motorcycle does not have the AHO (thankfully) but I ride with high-beams in the day and low-beams at night. But I dare not ride the wrong side, regardless of my beams.

There's a simple reason for high-beams during the day. Vehicles are supposed to be visible and high beam in the daytime doesn't blind the other drivers at all. Going the wrong way is just stupid in any situation.

I still wish two-wheelers had a soft switch for the beams and vehicle started with low-beams in conjunction with the AHO because almost no one knows about the existence of the low beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
There definitely is a mechanism found in some cars & motorcycles where the high beam automatically dips to low it senses an oncoming vehicle; and back to high once in the clear. Not sure of the cost of implementation but this is an awesome solution IMO
Adaptive Headlamps? This is costly and requires a special camera and on-board processing software. Hard to come by when 99% of the two-wheelers lack basic electronics like ABS and FI, eh?

Last edited by typlo : 15th July 2018 at 23:34.
Old 15th July 2018, 23:53   #32
BHPian

Even I have observed the same, while I haven't really identified the model of the bike. But this seems to be a trend with many useless beautifications mods like LED rings in the scooter handlebar ends. High intensity LED flood lamps on the side of the bike. Flickering RED LEDs on bike frame pointing backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
While I am sure the riders might not be using the high beam deliberately, however they remain unaware of the glare and discomfort their lights are causing to the public.
Even those who may not be doing these deliberately, it is extremely irresponsible behaviour bordering on stupidity.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 00:20   #33
BHPian

White light is almost useless in rain and in mist and does nothing to improve visibility.
Although most high end cars come with white LED and HID kits upwards of 5500k, they come equipped with a pair of fog lamps for use in poor visibility conditions. But that is not the case with 2 wheelers. Wonder how useful these white lights are during rain and mist. Can anyone with only these lights on their 2 wheeler 'throw some light' on this?

Last edited by SCORPION : 16th July 2018 at 00:26.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 01:11   #34
BHPian

I have been experiencing this on a daily basis now with the onslaught of the new scooters with LED AHOs and was wondering if there is something wrong with my eyes as no else seemed to be bothered by them, glad it's not my eyes, finally.

On a separate note, the same is the case with ultra bright led tail lamps of many cars as well, during night drives it becomes very tiring for the eyes if you are tailing a car with led tail lamps which turn on and off multiples times during the travel.
Speedshift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 07:13   #35
BHPian

Thanks for calling this out.

I wanted to share a similar experience with LED tail lights / brake lights of expensive cars. I feel they are excessively bright, and are irritating to anyone behind these cars on choked roads or at traffic signals.
This is especially true when it's dark outside - evenings or at night.
AVIS is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 09:55   #36
BHPian

This post couldn't have been at a better time.
I have been thinking to raise this issue with MoRTH & Honda
It's really irritating especially during twilight.
Honda 2W really needs to replace these stupidly designed headlamps
Old 16th July 2018, 09:56   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
But this seems to be a trend with many useless beautifications mods like LED rings in the scooter handlebar ends. High intensity LED flood lamps on the side of the bike. Flickering RED LEDs on bike frame pointing backward.
Agree. That is just childish and spoils the looks of the ride completely.

Quote:
Even those who may not be doing these deliberately, it is extremely irresponsible behaviour bordering on stupidity.
I would give a benefit of doubt to the rider assuming he/she doesn't get to know if the ride is on High or Low beam. The high beam indicator on the console is barely visible during the day. Only way out, make it a habit to check the light switch when starting the bike/scooter but I know, that is too much of an expectation from everyone on the road.

The other solution would that the bike/scooter always starts with the Low beam on and then the user needs to switch to High beam when required. This can be made possible if we have a toggle switch to move between High and Low. That way the switch can be programmed to be on Low beam on every power reset.

On another note, I saw an Activa and a Dominar today while coming to office. Incidentally both were on Low beam (God bless those riders). The Activa light was not disturbing even when I saw it coming towards me. On the other hand, I saw the Dominar in my IRVM and it was still not comforting to the eye.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 10:00   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel it is better to have a separate DRL than a headlamp that is always on! TVS scooty does it very nicely! Brilliant execution and position of the DRL. Serves its purpose and does not cause glare to others
Old 16th July 2018, 10:27   #39
BHPian

I own a Dominar and let me tell you all that it doesnt take even a second to simply switch on the headlights and keep them at low beam.

I have been doing this since the 17 months that I have owned the bike and honestly in DOC meet ups as well sometimes I see riders following this. Its only the new ones who dont understand this concept.

The purpose of making the rider more noticeable can easily be achieved by sticking the LEDs to the low beam orientation as well. That being said I wonder why this is such a big point of discussion when we regularly see drivers plying on with high beams from hatchbacks to SUVs. Sure the 2 wheeled vehicles outnumber the cars any day but should we not have been used to this by now?

I may not be sticking to the "spirit" of the forum by saying this but If I notice someone with their high beams coming from the wrong side facing me, I give them the full LED/High Beam tanning treatment till they lower their beams. Sometimes people need to be shoved their own medicine down their throats.
Vikram8891 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 10:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
I may not be sticking to the "spirit" of the forum by saying this but If I notice someone with their high beams coming from the wrong side facing me, I give them the full LED/High Beam tanning treatment till they lower their beams. Sometimes people need to be shoved their own medicine down their throats.
What if they do not even know the reason for your switch to high beams?
What if they just continue past you and on their way?
What if they simply do not care?
What if they're too big of a number for you to care beyond a point?

I've tried your technique in the past but I don't bother anymore because most of the people are doing it unknowingly because of non-prosecution of the blinders. The efforts are futile until the law makes people understand the penalties they will be facing for their actions (or inactions for that matter).
Old 16th July 2018, 11:20   #41

Ahh, at least it's not just me.
I came back to India after a long time and was surprised to see almost every two wheeler with their lights "ON". Then somebody told me about the government direction and all. However, recently it appears as if almost all the 2-wheeler manufacturers are making it a point to use white LED headlights. How many of these two wheelers anyway, go onto a highway to even need a dedicated High beam ?

I admit at times guilty of indulging in a little arms race of my own. If I am blinded by a single high beam, I stop in the middle of the road flicking my High beams On and Off. You'd be surprised to see how often the incoming guys realises his/her folly and dips the light. If you can't beat them join them, eh ?
Old 16th July 2018, 11:25   #42
BHPian

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/amp.i...il-273831.html

As per the above link, there seems to be a regulation since April 2017 requiring 2 wheelers to come fitted with AHO headlights. Of course this is a good initiative, however useless it may seem in our weather and visibility conditions. Because, it is definitely easier to spot them since most of them don't seem to follow any of the traffic rules and keep weaving in and out of traffic playing Russian roulette with death.

IMHO, from a manufacturer's point of view, this involves additional costs to over come 2 major drawbacks, namely:

1. Added fuel consumption on small capacity engines due to lights being always on when they actually brag about high mileage and some probably selling purely on the mileage it offers.

2. The need to redesign the head lamps to incorporate bulbs which consume far less power than regular halogen bulbs, like LEDs, to overcome issue No.1.

So they seem to have resorted to various means to overcome these issues:

1. Some have resorted to providing a cheap LED light bar which probably doesn't cost much. Not too annoying.

2. Some have incorporated LED headlamps without spending too much on R&D to check the actual usability or 'annoyance to others' factor. As a result LED bulbs shoved into poorly designed reflectors inside not so clear glass, emitting that most annoying white light. The LEDs add some sort of bling factor to their models and they use it as a marketing gimmick to woo the Indian customer.

3. Some have quietly made the existing bulbs come on as soon as the ignition is switched on hoping the buyers wouldn't connect it to reduced fuel consumption.
This I am not so sure. New owners of 2 wheelers can comment if their regular halogen headlamps are now AHO.

Whatever the reason may be, it cannot be denied that these new LED lights are absolutely annoying and the number of vehicles sporting these lights seem to be increasing rapidly.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 11:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. I am glad someone brought this up!

What a nuisance those LEDs are. For a two-wheeler these are pretty darn bright, almost blinding in the daylight. Haven't experienced them in the night but I am sure the brightness would only get amplified 2X. I am pretty sure these cannot pass off as road-worthy in any country, let alone India!

In the interest of public safety Honda needs to recall these Activas and re calibrate the intensity or the beam pattern.
Old 16th July 2018, 13:36   #44
BHPian

+1, thank you for bringing up this thread.

I have to say there are a lot of ignorant people who do not care to check the beam on which their head light is operating. Some of them acknowledge when they are reminded about and some still ignore.

A very few bikers are found doing this, but a majority of Honda Activas'/Dios' are. The problem of Activa/Dio is that the factory setting of the headlight beam focus is high (comes from my experience of owning an active) which puts less light on the road in low beam, hence forcing people to use the high beam expecting to light up the road well as would many people assume (which is not true).

I have raised this complaint with the Honda service people a few times. A very easy fix before delivering the vehicle, use a screw driver and adjust the beam, that's it.

And there are hundreds of Cabs with all sorts of flashy LED lights, modified lighting patterns, substituted rally lights and what not, adding to this problem.

This menace, not only irritates you when somebody from the oncoming traffic does it but also drives you crazy when such two wheelers are trailing you while you are driving a car in heavy traffic. You can somehow sort out the reflection from IRVM but with the ORVMs there is nothing that you could possibly do.

LEDs or Halogens, a small induction to people before they buy their first vehicle about the do's and dont's, the best practices would be a boon.

Ya, this knowledge would be assumed to have had, while one applies for his/her driving license (true in many other countries and not so in case of ours).
Fan@Automotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 14:34   #45
BHPian

I don't see why this is such an issue. I mean, just look at the road in front of you rather than the oncoming vehicle's bright LEDs. Why would anyone stare into the LED?
One simple hack I use is I just look at the road below and never directly at the vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks