Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2018, 11:10   #1

Accelerator too stiff / hard on my motorcycle

Hi BHPians,

I own a Suzuki Access 125 2016 model and my wife has been using it for over two years now. A constant complaint for this vehicle has been the stiff accelerator.

I would like to ask if someone knows how to loosen the cable /spring or any suggestions for the same would be greatly appreciated.

I'll convert this into a guide if I get more info about this.

Thanl you.
Old 31st July 2018, 12:05   #2
BANNED

We being enthusiasts should be on top of maintenance schedules, and you can start by making it a mandate to change control cables and fluids once a year.

The reason your throttle feels tighter is because the inner cable has developed friction with the outer cable. Mechanics would suggest lubing it but please do not do that, modern cables are not meant to be lubed and reused.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 12:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Accelerator too stiff / hard on my motorcycle

If you are feeling stiff accelerator from day 1 of purchase, then you may need to change the spring to a lighter one(Any local mechanic can do this change)

Then, your problem will vanish. few years ago, my she-cousin had this issue and the issue is gone after this change(Cousin sister is wrong usage )
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 12:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

If it is from day 1, then you need to change the spring to a softer one, also do check the routing of the cable if it is right. If this has started recently, then do check if the cable can be lubricated, if not replace with proper routing.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 00:41   #5
BHPian

On the scooters and motorcycles my family owns, I always lube the cables with a generous application of lithium grease at both ends and on the spring's ends. My TVS Victor had the most delicious-feeling clutch and accelerator cables.

Yes, I'm an overluber.
hellmet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 10:15   #6
BHPian

There is an adjuster just under the throttle which can increase or reduce the free play on the cable.
The only spring that the throttle cable uses sits inside the carburetor and changing it might hamper the function of the slide movement so I wouldn't recommend that.

Instead, increase some free play on the cable and you could also spray some silicon lubricant (grease tends to gum up with dirt) through the tiny hole/s provided at the bottom of the throttle casing.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2018 at 10:58. Reason: typo
Crankpin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 12:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accelerator too stiff / hard on my motorcycle

Apart from the above suggestions, just ask your mechanic to lube the throttle control. He will just slide the control out after disconnecting the cable and lube the 'pivot' on which the throttle control rotates. This should solve your problem in my opinion.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 14:13   #8
BHPian

That's what I said! You don't actually have to remove the cable or anything.

Just hold the tube end of a silicon liquid grease can and spray a couple of time. It will lubricate most of the moving parts and the cable. Since the scooter doesn't seem to be very old, that should be enough
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 14:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
That's what I said! You don't actually have to remove the cable or anything.

Just hold the tube end of a silicon liquid grease can and spray a couple of time. It will lubricate most of the moving parts and the cable. Since the scooter doesn't seem to be very old, that should be enough
I am confused with the suggestions.

If I hold one end of the cable and grease it, how will the grease 'propagate' to the other end?

What is silicon liquid grease? Is it WD40? If not, please point to some buying options.

Fordday.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 14:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I am confused with the suggestions.

If I hold one end of the cable and grease it, how will the grease 'propagate' to the other end?
I am talking of doing this:
Accelerator too stiff / hard on my motorcycle-hqdefault.jpg

Basically, sliding out the throttle controller and lubricating the part of handlebar on which it sits.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 00:31   #11
BANNED

If you're adamant on lubing the cables then do watch the following video by Motorcyclist Magazine where Ari Henning shows you how its done;

Though do keep in mind that modern cables come with an anti-friction coating that prevents the need to use lubricants and when the cable suffers enough wear and tear due to use and routing via chassis lines it starts to develop friction and as a result the control cable in question starts to feel progressively tighter.

Though in countries like Singapore and Indonesia where a Bajaj control cable costs upwards of 20 USD owners prefer to lube and reuse the same cable but running the risk of the cable snapping unexpectedly when you least expect it to.

In a country like India where we get control cables for a pittance in comparison, it doesn't make much sense to lube and reuse control cables as opting for a new one periodically pays for itself by saving you the hassle of having the cable snap mid riding, overtaking or in traffic, plus the added trouble of pushing the motorcycle to the nearest mechanic and running the risk of using spurious spares that are common with roadside mechanics.

Personally, I change all my control cables at 10k intervals or near the 1 year mark for a hassle-free ownership experience.

Better to be a few hundreds poor than to be this guy!

ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashscool View Post
Hi BHPians,

I own a Suzuki Access 125 2016 model and my wife has been using it for over two years now. A constant complaint for this vehicle has been the stiff accelerator.

I would like to ask if someone knows how to loosen the cable /spring or any suggestions for the same would be greatly appreciated.

I'll convert this into a guide if I get more info about this.

Thanl you.
Is it just your scooter or is it all Suzuki access scooters that have this "problem". If it is just yours, have the accelerator cable replaced. If it is all scooters, then you'll just have to live with it unless you have the time to experiment with a good mechanic.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2018 at 16:01. Reason: Corrected original post for typos.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Is it just your scooter or is it all Suzuki access scooters that have this "problem". Is it is just yours, have the accelerator cable replaced. If it is all, then you'll busy have to live with it unless you have the time to experiment with a good mechanic.
Thanks for the response. That would be the obvious choices for me as well. However, I wanted to know if someone can provide a hands on guide to how this works and if some greasing would make the spring or the mechanism softer to the twist.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll try using silicon lubricant on one end and see if that helps, if it doesn't, I'll try to get it replaced. Maybe change the spring with a softer one. I do extremely regular services for the vehicle (almost every two months). I appreciate all of your inputs. I'll provide updates soon. I might go back to my trusty mechanic now that the vehicle should be out of warranty.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2018 at 16:00. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashscool View Post
Thanks for the response. That would be the obvious choices for me as well. However, I wanted to know if someone can provide a hands on guide to how this works and if some greasing would make the spring or the mechanism softer to the twist.
I suggest that you have the cable replaced as the first step. This will eliminate any problems with the cable itself before you look for other problems.

In any case, I recommend replacing the accelerator cable every 2 years to avoid a surprise cable failure that might leave you stranded on the road. And if it's a bike, the same goes for the clutch cable too. These cables are generally cheap enough that is easier to replace them to attempt lubricating them.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 15:54   #15
BHPian

See there is a small orifice just under the accelerator housing which can be used to spray some silicon grease( liquid ) through it.
Wurth makes some silicon grease.
If the scooters new, you don’t need to change or open anything at all and keep the scooter under a covered parking
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks