Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2018, 11:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

An Indian builds a 796cc motorcycle, calls it Amar Jawan

I recieved the following in my in-box from MotorBeam last night. I don't know if it has appeared in our forum before, but I felt it to be a worthy inclusion!

Well done, Vaibhav Bajpai ! :

https://www.motorbeam.com/amar-jawan...an-army-video/
shashanka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 11:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: An Indian builds a 796cc motorcycle, calls it Amar Jawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I recieved the following in my in-box from MotorBeam last night. I don't know if it has appeared in our forum before, but I felt it to be a worthy inclusion!

Well done, Vaibhav Bajpai ! :

https://www.motorbeam.com/amar-jawan...an-army-video/
Good effort .
Quote:
Indian Makes 800cc Bike, Calls It Amar Jawan
For a moment, I thought the bike was from here - https://www.indianmotorcycle.in/

Last edited by msdivy : 21st August 2018 at 11:48.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 11:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Good effort . For a moment, I thought the bike was from here - https://www.indianmotorcycle.in/
Hello msdivy,

Yes I know - actually when I saw the title & "800 cc" I thought that it must be a newly developed engine! But full kudos to the boy (Vaibhav) for his initiative & perseverance, that in less than two years - he says he took 1.5 years - he was able to come up with a working road-going example. No doubt it may take some refinement & development but full credit for his idea. Must say Indian entrepreneurs in this field are showing great spirit & enterprise!
Old 21st August 2018, 12:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Four forward and four reverse gears!

Hearing something like this for the first time, though I've heard some two wheelers like the Honda Goldwing having a reverse gear to aid backing it up - but why would a bike need four reverse gears?

Can anyone throw some light on this?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 12:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Makes 800cc Bike, Calls It Amar Jawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Good to see such developments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Can anyone throw some light on this?
I'm guessing he used a 4-speed box with another gearbox after it that can change direction of the output shaft. Hence the 4 reverse gears were a byproduct rather than a design. I'm guessing it would have been easier to do this than modify a bike gearbox to include a reverse gear.

The reverse gear in Goldwing is just a clever use of the starter motor moving in the other direction. Not sure if the newer ones with the DCT use the same or have an actual reverse gear in the gearbox.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 12:47   #6
BHPian

If I remember it right, this may not be the first time that someone has put a Maruti 800 cc engine in a motorcycle frame. There was someone who had done it earlier and it was also on news. I frankly don't know if it was covered in this forum.

However , if this boy has done all the efforts by himself , including frame building and weight balancing by himself, then surly it is a commendable act. Although not sure why he wants 4 reverse gears

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st August 2018 at 13:59. Reason: Replaced Maruthi with Maruti. Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 15:05   #7
BHPian

Here's a link to an earlier thread which has some details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...gine-bike.html
Old 21st August 2018, 19:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Makes 800cc Bike, Calls It Amar Jawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Good to see such developments!
I'm guessing he used a 4-speed box with another gearbox after it that can change direction of the output shaft. Hence the 4 reverse gears were a byproduct rather than a design. I'm guessing it would have been easier to do this than modify a bike gearbox to include a reverse gear.
The reverse gear in Goldwing is just a clever use of the starter motor moving in the other direction. Not sure if the newer ones with the DCT use the same or have an actual reverse gear in the gearbox.
Yes, that's what the chap said - that the same gearbox is used with an intermediate shaft that changes the direction of rotation - tho' why so many reverse ratios is interesting!

The Goldwing solution is intriguing - does the starter motor itself provide the torque to the wheels (again via an intermediate shaft). That would put a huge load on the battery during the reversing manoevre! Marine engines have resorted to the "lost motion" principle of partial rotation of the camshaft (relative to the crankshaft) itself, using bi-directional cam profiles to reverse the engine rotation itself (B & W). MAN had used the principle of laterally shifting the camshaft so that a new set of cams (the reverse cams, so to speak) came into position below the push-rods & the fuel injection pumps in order to reverse the engine rotation.

Tho' that doesn't answer the question of four reverse ratios....

Last edited by shashanka : 21st August 2018 at 19:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks