Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2018, 06:16   #1
BHPian

Apache 310 Rider fined for company-fitted LED headlights

Quote:
Here’s how this one played out. The copper while taking stock of the situation notices the rider (Priyam Bose) is filming it all, and in what is a very Bengali trait, encourages the rider to make the video well and not discreetly, to which the rider responds, of course sir repeatedly. He then explains to the officer that his bike’s headlight is company fitted so there’s no reason he should be pulled up and if there’s a prob, the copper should address it with TVS company.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=2VYS218-Wos
SOURCE

Comments on this are appreciated. It seems like the cops fined the rider for filling up their daily targets. Can anyone verify the authenticity of this information?

If an LED headlight is illegal, they should've taken it up with the manufacturer/ARAI.

Last edited by ajmat : 1st September 2018 at 10:57. Reason: As requested
typlo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 08:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Apache 310 Rider fined for company-fitted LED headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post

If an LED headlight is illegal, they should've taken it up with the manufacturer/ARAI.
Well, Driving in full beam is not a correct practice and in places like Chandigarh you can be actually fined. Overseas, no one uses the high beam unless it’s an open road and there is no traffic in front or coming from opposite direction.

There’s a thread about the severity of LED lights on new scooters already and I have also experienced the same recently. It’s very strong as most riders will drive in full beam.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 08:46   #3
BHPian

This thread isn't about the legality of high beams in the city (or oncoming traffic). Everyone knows that's not legal.

Looks like the cops fined the rider for possessing a motorcycle that has LED headlamps instead of halogen ones.

The policeman claimed that the LED headlamps 'dazzle' the oncoming traffic (but apparently, the halogens do not). That's what this is all about.

I was hoping someone with knowledge of the language in the video could help translate some arguments between the cops and the rider?

EDIT:

Read this summary from the SOURCE:

Quote:
The officer then tries to put the responsibility back on the rider by saying, you bought it, so it’s your responsibility. The shellshocked rider at this point sounds quite shocked at this absurd suggestion, and repeats what the copper says before asking in amazement, ‘what sort of conversation is this?’ And what do you mean.

There is then a dialogue around decency of tone to which the rider responds he’s speaking decently. The cop then says he will be taking a fine at which point the irritated rider says based on what considering he would never have gotten a straightforward permit/registration had his bike been fitted with modified LEDs.

Last edited by typlo : 1st September 2018 at 08:57.
typlo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 09:42   #4
BHPian

Rushlane has done the full translation. You can read in detail - https://www.rushlane.com/tvs-apache-...-12279857.html
mayanksabharwal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 10:44   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Apache 310 Rider fined for company-fitted LED headlights

Mod Note: Thread moved to the Motorcycle forum!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 16:41   #6
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Read the translation.

The entire group of cops should loose their jobs or at least be suspended for not knowing the law.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 16:49   #7
BHPian

Driving/riding in high beam within city limits is an offence everywhere.
Old 3rd September 2018, 18:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
Driving/riding in high beam within city limits is an offence everywhere.
Hey Olympal, I think you did not get the purpose behind putting up this thread. We are not here to debate about whether driving within the city limits with their high beam turned on is legal or not.

We are trying to look at whether what the cops did is correct or not. And look at the notes written on the receipt. Fined for dazzling lights? What is that?

I mean, if the lights on the Apache 310 are illegal as the WB police is saying, the RTO shouldn't have approved them in the first place.

I think they need to get their basics right before getting into the streets to stop and fine anyone.

And the worst part about them is their ego. The moment if you start asking questions about what they are doing, they get all worked up and go into the defence mode. Their response asking the rider to deal with TVS himself is a pretty good example of how bothered they are about the lights. All they are concerned about is completing their weekly/monthly quota of challans.

Sad but true.

Ride safe,
R-Six

Last edited by Aditya : 4th September 2018 at 18:56. Reason: Corrected typos + toned down name-calling.
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 20:42   #9
BHPian

I don't know why didn't he choose to not pay the fine and challenge the accusation in court.
Last month, I was fined for overspeeding(65 in a 60 lane) in Chandigarh and they told me that my license will be suspended for 3 months after I've paid my fine at the Traffic Police office.
Instead, I let the 1 month deadline pass and went to the court for sentencing. They fined me 200 bucks and handed the license back on the spot. No suspension whatsoever.
I am pretty sure a judge would've easily seen the merit in the argument and cancelled the challan. After that, the aggrieved could've sued the police officers for harassment.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 3rd September 2018 at 20:43.
rdst_1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks