Team-BHP - Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/204437-yamaha-yzf-r3-ownership-review-3.html)

A small update, changed the oil from YamaLube to Motul 7100 4T 10W-40 engine oil. Got the oil filter from perfect riders and did the change myself.

Oil Engine Oil being drained.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190223_182717.jpg

New Oil Filter

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190223_182838.jpg

Motul 7100 4T 10W-40 - 3 bottles, the third bottle was opened up to prime the oil filter.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190223_183056.jpg

I have ridden it only for 4 kms post the oil change. Will ride more and observe how much difference the oil makes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 4541102)

This looks great, have you got them fitted to your bike? Also, this is available on amazon.com, anything for amazon.in folks?:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 (Post 4550236)
This looks great, have you got them fitted to your bike? Also, this is available on amazon.com, anything for amazon.in folks?:)

I dont own a Yamaha R3 myself but extenders are very useful and are available across most bikes sold abroad. For cost effectiveness, Aliexpress to the rescue - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/R25-...AbTest=ae803_5

IS a new version with LEDs and TFT coming soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by killjoy (Post 4551437)
IS a new version with LEDs and TFT coming soon?

May come through by mid - year. My employee recently bought the new R15 with ABS. Damn thing has such a committed riding position. Switching over the R3 made is so much easier to ride. Hope they dont make the R3 face-lift to have such a committed riding position. Versatility would be lost.

Crossed the 3,000 kms mark on the R3.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190317_195624.jpg

Mileage Update:

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-mileage.jpg

Got a clamp done to tie up the bungie chords or to tie the saddle bags.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190315_192937.jpg

Tagged along a few R3 owners in their annual R3 Owners group ride. A few pictures enroute.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190316_103425.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190316_103520.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190316_132530.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190317_182549.jpg

I have received the mirror extenders and a couple of other accessories are being installed on the bike. Once done will post an update on the thread.

Meanwhile bought a new AGV helmet. AGV K3 SV Elements model for 25,499/- Will put up a small review post I clock a few more kilometers/hours spent with it.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190320_110244.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190320_110254.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190320_110320.jpg

Got a couple of updates on the R3.

Mirror Extenders installed to make a bit easier to see whats behind :D

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190325_093051.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190402_180235.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190402_180350.jpg

The horn on the R3 is pathetic. Got a pair of horns that comes on the TVS Apache. Plonked it in, makes a huge difference without much load on the battery.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190326_150120.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20190402_180447.jpg

LED bulbs at the front and rear have conked. Replacing them Osram ones, the cheap Chinese stuff did not last enough.

Congrats man. I also thought i will give you the 5000th "thanks" :D

Are the mirror extenders bought online ? I guess it would eliminate the reflections of your arms in the mirrors helping you to see more of whats behind.
Please share the link if you had bought it online. Would like to plonk one on my R3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ (Post 4569290)
Are the mirror extenders bought online ? I guess it would eliminate the reflections of your arms in the mirrors helping you to see more of whats behind.
Please share the link if you had bought it online. Would like to plonk one on my R3.

Yes, the mirror extenders were bought online. However, the extenders does not completely eliminate the reflection on your arms, it only reduces it by a good margin.

Here we go the Aliexpress link

I had to attend a wedding of my customer in Sandur (near Hospet). What better opportunity to ride down. Anyways the R3 was very sparingly used due the lack of time. Did not want to miss this opportunity.

Trip stats

Distance Covered - 634 Kms
Overall Mileage - 28.2 kmpl, with cruising around the 7000 rpm mark and occasional bursts over 11000 rpm
Travel time both ways included - 7 hours and 40 odd mins. Return journey had delays from Tumkur thanks to the convey of some politician who was on the road.

4000 kms on the odo finally completed.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-4000.jpg

A few pics on the way back

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-1.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-2.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-3.jpg

Yet another ride with the R3 owners group. This time a monsoon ride.

The group started the ride on Friday 5th July and rode through the Bisle Ghats to Ujire from Bangalore. I was unable to join the group in the morning. Started from home at 5.30 pm and reached Ujire via Shiradi ghat by 11 pm. Took a couple of breaks, a tea break near Hirisave, refuel break and dinner break at Sakaleshpur. It was raining all the way from outskirts of Chennarayapatna to Ujire. Hassan to Shiradi ghats road are a mixed bag with huge potholes and craters here and there. Once the concrete road starts its a breeze.

Next day the group started towards Megur Home-stay at around noon via Bajagoli-Kudremukh-Kalasa with rains giving company all the way from Bajagoli to Megur. Last few kms it would pouring so heavily that the visibility was 10 feet. Reached there by 5 pm. Encountered heavy rains such that it ensured even the inner wear is wet inspite of wearing a full all weather riding gear with rain protection over it. :D A real monsoon ride. Chilled out with lovely food, rains and cold breeze giving company.

Started off towards Bangalore from the homestay around 1 pm. I picked up some tea and spices from Kelagur Tea Depot. Rain gave company almost till outskirts of Hassan. Had a late lunch around 5.30 pm post Hassan. Rode back till Nelamangala toll and bid good bye to the group. Had another 70 odd kms to do additionally to complete 5000 kms. Went ahead and completed 5000 kms and reached home by 10 pm.

A few pics. Did not take many thanks to the inclement weather. Soaking wet means mobiles and cameras packed away safely. :D

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-packed-ready.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-near-yediyur.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-monsoon-ride.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-waterfalls.jpg

5000 kms milestone

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-5000.jpg

Mileage update

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-mileage.jpg

I have a few tasks with the R3 this week.

1. Change oil and Oil Filter as it has done around 3000 kms mark. Will be using Motul 7100 10W-40 this time around. Will be trying Liqui Moly 10W-40 with the next oil change

2. The tank drain pipe is blocked and the water enters the fuel tank when the fuel cap is opened. Need to clean the fuel tank and clean the drain pipe to ensure this does not repeat.

3. Brakes need cleaning and bleeding too. Feels a bit spongy.

4. Chain needs to be adjusted as it feels a bit tight.

5. A thorough clean up of the chain and lube

6. Bike too needs a thorough clean up post the rain ride.

Facing a weird issue for a quite a long time. Completely missed documenting it here. The front wheel loses pressure when the bike is kept idle for a week or two. It loses around 40 to 50% of its designated pressure of 29 PSI. However, the rear wheel is absolutely fine with barely any drop of pressure with the maximum drop of 2 PSI over 2 weeks of idle time.

There is no damage to the rim as far as I am aware of. I need to get this checked as it is quite frustrating to face this issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrishnap (Post 4641001)
Facing a weird issue for a quite a long time. Completely missed documenting it here. The front wheel loses pressure when the bike is kept idle for a week or two. It loses around 40 to 50% of its designated pressure of 29 PSI. However, the rear wheel is absolutely fine with barely any drop of pressure with the maximum drop of 2 PSI over 2 weeks of idle time.

There is no damage to the rim as far as I am aware of. I need to get this checked as it is quite frustrating to face this issue.

Get your valve stem checked and replaced if necessary. Most likely the issue in such cases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrishnap (Post 4641001)
The front wheel loses pressure when the bike is kept idle for a week or two. It loses around 40 to 50% of its designated pressure of 29 PSI.

I had faced same issue with my bike. To check better, get the air filled upto 40-50 PSI and check with soap water multiple times.

There might be possibility that the tyre has developed very small cracks and air might be loosing from there. Other possibility might be some rust development on the rim sides on which the tyre holds.

To save upon the cost of replacing tyre, I got a tube installed. I have been driving since 7-8 months and there has been no issue.