Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2019, 22:31   #1
BHPian

Bought a Yamaha R15 v3 - Can the fuel economy be so high?

After test riding several bikes, reading reviews on this forum, and getting to know from others on my post (Moving from an Enfield Continental GT to the Yamaha R15 v3?), I eventually bought a Yamaha R15 v3 ABS.

Ironically, when I wanted to sell off my Royal Enfield Continental GT (CGT) 535cc and get a Japanese bike, the idea was to buy something relatively short and easy to ride and maintain. In spite of having two test rides, I did not realize until I came to a stop at a junction part of my daily commute that this bike was perhaps taller than CGT. I go home and check specs only to realize that this is actually among the tallest of the bikes in the market including some of adventure bikes! Anyway, despite it being taller, I am finding it easy to ride and handle (just one day 'real' experience yet).

Question to those who used this bike
I see an average fuel consumption of 62.4 kmpl in 154 kms since I bought including 114 kms today on highway. Rest was in city. Can the mileage be that high really, even after considering the factor that I had to limit my rev to under 5000 rpm during the first 1000 kms of break-in period? Will this continue to be so, if I keep the revs under 5000 rpm?

By the way, if you are interested in reading the background to selecting this bike, it can be read here.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a Yamaha R15 v3 - Can the fuel economy be so high?-img_3956-2.jpg  

Bought a Yamaha R15 v3 - Can the fuel economy be so high?-dscf7892.jpg  

mkovuri is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 22:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bought a Yamaha R15 v3 - Can the fuel economy be so high?

Yes, it is very much possible if you keep an eye on the revs. I got 55-60 km/l during the run-in period of my R15 v2. Now the bike has done 11k+ kms and return 55 km/l on highways at 5000 RPM in 6th gear (75 km/hr).

I usually don't hit the redline but riding in 5000-8000 RPM range does bring down overall fuel efficiency figure to 35-40 km/l. FE hasn't gone below 35 km/l ever in the past 2 years.

EDIT: Just realised you are having a v3. Mine is a v2.

Last edited by self_driven : 16th February 2019 at 22:46.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 01:03   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
I eventually bought a Yamaha R15 v3 ABS.
Congratulations on the purchase!

Quote:
Question to those who used this bike
I see an average fuel consumption of 62.4 kmpl in 154 kms since I bought including 114 kms today on highway. Rest was in city. Can the mileage be that high really, even after considering the factor that I had to limit my rev to under 5000 rpm during the first 1000 kms of break-in period? Will this continue to be so, if I keep the revs under 5000 rpm?
At the end of the day it's a Fuel Injected 150cc motorcycle, so the FE is understandable.

But then don't keep the revs too low, due to the taller gearing there have been more than a few cases of crank bearings going for a toss on machines owned by riders who ride Indian Style.
ashwinprakas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 08:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

The paper specifications about power say otherwise, but, I found the V3 to be lacking in power in comparison to the classic R15 [Indonesian made]. I had a go in the current gen [ergonomics were off for me], but I found it to be a dud in comparison to the classic R15 [launched at Rs. 97,425 in 2008].

In fact, I think, the FZ-25 has more grunt than the V3, maybe this is the reason for the higher FE in V3 [and substantially lower FE in FZ-25].
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 09:40   #5
BHPian

Re: Bought a Yamaha R15 v3 - Can the fuel economy be so high?

I didn’t try it really well, but during the brief attempt to cross 7,500 RPM, found that the VVA to kick in, and when it does, it felt like the turbo kicking in my Skoda Octavia. Perhaps the additional power can be felt here. In any case, I am not used to driving or riding vehicles at high RPM. So I will have some learning first before I could confirm for sure if the VVA band does make any difference.
Old 12th March 2019, 20:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just rode the R15 V3 today. Absolutely brilliant bike I must say. Congratulations on the purchase

The fuel economy you're getting is really high but can be expected considering the variable valve actuation tech and the low revs that you are maintaining. For example whenever I ride my bike with someone following, and I have to go slowly to ensure they can be seen in the narrow wedge shaped mirrors of my RC390, I always get pleasantly surprised to see an average of 35 or above. Mind you this is an old 390 with choppy fueling at low rpm which itself would be sapping some of the fuel efficiency and it lacks variable valve actuation which your bike has so an FE of 65 isn't too surprising on a 150cc smooth Japanese bike with VVA when revs are kept low.

How do you keep the revs so low btw? Today when I tested the R15, I simply couldn't resist going Wide Open on the throttle for atleast 90 percent of the test ride. The bike is simply sublime and begs to be revved. Did you go for the extended 5 year/70k kms warranty as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The paper specifications about power say otherwise, but, I found the V3 to be lacking in power in comparison to the classic R15 [Indonesian made]. I had a go in the current gen [ergonomics were off for me], but I found it to be a dud in comparison to the classic R15 [launched at Rs. 97,425 in 2008].
There might be 2 reasons why you felt the V3 lacked in power. The first would be the VVA doing its job well ensuring a linear healthy delivery of power. The old R15 was more peaky and perhaps that is why you felt it was quicker also peak power and torque delivery are delivered much higher in the rev band on the new bike. It could also be down to the fact that the original R15 came with much narrower tyres, with market requiring better looks, folks like Yamaha and KTM are loading up 140-150 section tyres on 125, 150 and 200cc machines. They simply do not require such a large contact patch. How did you find the ergos to be off? I infact loved the ergonomics of the new R15 in comparison to its predecessors. The previous gen R15s felt like they were designed for shorter 5'8" and under riders with the seat being low and very close to the handle bars putting a guy like me in a scrunched up position. The new one feels a lot roomier in that respect.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th March 2019 at 21:15.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 00:09   #7
BHPian

Yup! I have had insane figures in the run in period, currently, I do not drive too much on highways mostly in the city. Say Mira Road - Lower Parel. Whenever I get the change I hear the sweet sound of the engine until 8k rpm and when the roads are empty, that is until 10k rpm usually. I am usually around 100km/hr at 4th gear. I still get 43-45, 2700kms done so far. Enjoy the ride.
P.S: I do not have the ABS version, figuring if Yamaha would do the upgrade
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 16:29   #8
BHPian

I can say this with confidence, this bike has stellar fuel economy without even trying, my overall average till date (total 4000kms) in 50-50 (City-Semi Highway (Delhi-Gurgaon Road)) is 48.5Km/l, although the figure is as per MID but i have verified it via the tankfull method and it wasn't far off this mark.

My driving style is not conservative at all although i stick to the highest possible gear while cruising but also red lining whenever i get the chance, i cruise at 100-110 at least which is in 7000-8000 rpm range and have regularly taken it much beyond this speed as well.
I attribute this stellar fuel economy to in addition to the brilliantly engineered engine to VVA (basically i-vtec), the lower rpm have very good torque and excellent fuel economy while the higher rpm cam provides excellent power in the higher rpm.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 19th November 2020 at 16:47.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:29   #9
BHPian

This is a very good bike indeed. Now with the COVID-19 situation, and me having retired in January this year, the bike does not see me taking it out much. But I am simply amazed when I do, even after few months of gap, it starts and behaves as if I took it out for a spin yesterday. No hesitation in starting, no change in its behaviour. I am totally stunned!! I never thought I will like any bike after riding the Royal Enfield for several years, and more recently the Continental GT for about 3 yrs prior to this. The R15 is one SPLENDID bike. Absolutely phenomenal pick up, the engine is smooth, handling at low as well as high speeds is amazing and yet provides a high mileage with zero maintenance issues. Happy for now!
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
How did you find the ergos to be off? I infact loved the ergonomics of the new R15 in comparison to its predecessors. The previous gen R15s felt like they were designed for shorter 5'8" and under riders with the seat being low and very close to the handle bars putting a guy like me in a scrunched up position. The new one feels a lot roomier in that respect.
A year ago I was desperate (!) for my son to like the R15 and want to buy it. Desperate because I wanted to have it in my garage so that I could get to ride it as well of course. However, he found it way too small and scrunched up as you said, and just was instantly comfortable on the bigger class Suzuki sport which we eventually brought home.

Cheers, Doc
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A year ago I was desperate (!) for my son to like the R15 and want to buy it. Desperate because I wanted to have it in my garage so that I could get to ride it as well of course. However, he found it way too small and scrunched up as you said, and just was instantly comfortable on the bigger class Suzuki sport which we eventually brought home.

Cheers, Doc
Same reason why I went for the RC390 as my first bike I loved the R15, booked a V2 even back in 2015. I had just learnt how to ride that year and my noob self thought that the scrunched up seating position was part of the sportbike experience and that is why people called them uncomfortable. It was only when I sat on an RC that I immediately began to appreciate the seat height and the crotch to handlebar length giving both my upper and lower body enough room. I feel like all the japanese bikes (not talking about bigger cc ones) like the CBR250, Ninja300, Yamaha R15, R3 are all made for slightly shorter people with the R15 feeling like it was made for the shortest of riders. These days every bike ends up feeling scrunched up for me and I infact feel most comfortable on my RC
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Same reason why I went for the RC390 as my first bike I loved the R15, booked a V2 even back in 2015. I had just learnt how to ride that year and my noob self thought that the scrunched up seating position was part of the sportbike experience and that is why people called them uncomfortable. It was only when I sat on an RC that I immediately began to appreciate the seat height and the crotch to handlebar length giving both my upper and lower body enough room. I feel like all the japanese bikes (not talking about bigger cc ones) like the CBR250, Ninja300, Yamaha R15, R3 are all made for slightly shorter people with the R15 feeling like it was made for the shortest of riders. These days every bike ends up feeling scrunched up for me and I infact feel most comfortable on my RC
How tall are you? My son (23) is 6'3.5". Have you ridden the Suzuki? Its deceptively big yet feels compact on the move.

But honestly, to my eye, the previous avatar of the baby Yam (to the one in the OP here), the bluish purplish color (no graphics breaking up the beautiful lines), is the best looking sports bike in India. Ever.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd November 2020 at 16:17.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
How tall are you? My son (23) is 6'3.5". Have you ridden the Suzuki? Its deceptively big yet feels compact on the move.

But honestly, to my eye, the previous avatar of the baby Yam (to the one in the OP here), the bluish purplish color (no graphics breaking up the beautiful lines), is the best looking sports bike in India. Ever.

Cheers, Doc
Not that tall I'm just exactly 6 feet tall. Haven't tried the Suzuki I was looking for a sportbike and at the time they didn't offer anything in the small sportbike category.

Definitely the V2 was one of the best looking bikes on sale. I didn't even mind the maroon one I had loads of custom paint ideas for the bike
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:15   #14
BHPian

Not surprised at all !! My V2 turned 8 recently, and constantly returns 45-47 kmpl. My friend's year old MT15 returns 50 This is one reason why I admire Yamaha so much. They definitely have mastered the art of providing performance without compromising on fuel efficiency.
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:54   #15
BHPian

This is pleasantly surprising to me. Have ridden R15 v2 quite a lot and love it for what it offers but never really noted the fuel economy to be so good. Back then in 2008 when they launched R15 and FZ16, I so wanted to get the R15 but budget constraints and being somebody who was just learning to ride, I had to pick up the FZ16 which I still have it with me till date running on original carb flawlessly. The fuel economy on FZ16 has been terrible (25kmpl when ridden spiritedly and 35 kmpl at best with monk like riding) atleast for most of the owners I know so it's not a Yamaha thing but more of another brilliant positive associated with R15 in particular I feel

Last edited by camitesh : 23rd November 2020 at 23:01.
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks