Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2019, 22:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand

Since, I've wanted a cost-effective, yet purposeful workaround the paddock stand, I did come across the Yamaha RX 100 stand which was used as a jugaad fix for the Yamaha R15, and for us DIY-ers, boy, did it come in handy. The fact is that what I sorely missed with the RX 100 stand was the "height" to which it can raise the bike. Though the RX 100 main stand can be used as a center stand for the R15, once the R15 is on the main stand, the rear wheel didn't move to the "height" to my liking and it was just an eyesore to look at.

I know what importance does the length of the stand makes, since it raises the center and basically makes the bike a seesaw, which was the setup that I exactly envisioned. Bought the RXZ stand. The RXZ stand has the foot grip extension which makes it a breeze to mount and dismount the bike, which the RX 100's doesn't. Secondly, it raised the bike which makes cleaning the belly, innards of the motorcycle a piece of cake. An extremely easy affair where it allows me to lift or pull the bike to my desired direction, and makes cleaning wheels an as easy as listening to AR Rahman's song.

How to mount the stand and dismount it are easy, and tutorials are available online. It hardly takes one minute to install the stand on a temporary basis.

Pics!

The main stand costed 350 (local but very good gauge) and the stand shaft pin another Rs. 68.
R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-shaft-pin.jpg

The shaft pin/stand Inserted (Reference only).
R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-shaft-pin-stand.jpg

This is how the pin is inserted on the chassis of the bike. We have a hanging earhole-ish protrusion under the bike. This is where the stand shaft/pin is to be inserted.
R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-how-its-inserted.jpg

Here's a view underneath. Notice the height.
R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-height-view.jpg

Here's the overall deck height of the bike with the stand on. In real life, it's even more taller than it visually is on the picture. One happy man, and extremely pleased with the outcome.
R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-deck-height-1.jpg

R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-deck-height-2.jpg

Deck height comparison, 3/4th view, before the washing.
R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-img_20190224_144923.jpg

Finally, the bike washed/chain cleaned, extremely easy and what more does one want than this.
R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-img_20190224_172653.jpg

Bonus blurred view!
R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-img_20190224_172706.jpg

Hope it helps fellow readers and riders in a little improved jugaad fix to the already existing jugaad fix.

Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ

Note: Dear mods, kindly merge or move wherever necessary. Thank you so much.

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 24th February 2019 at 22:56.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 23:09   #2
BANNED

re: R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
It hardly takes one minute to install the stand on a temporary basis.
A fellow enthusiast used a RX135 stand which looks similar to yours but never considered a permanent fix, which got me wondering.

Can this be used as a permanent solution? Is there a mount point for the spring on the underside of the motorcycle?

OT: When did you get hold of a R15S? Scrapped the Himalayan? The R15S is a swell machine, do share your thoughts on it compared to the Gen 1 R15's.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 23:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
A fellow enthusiast used a RX135 stand which looks similar to yours but never considered a permanent fix, which got me wondering.

Can this be used as a permanent solution? Is there a mount point for the spring on the underside of the motorcycle?

OT: When did you get hold of a R15S? Scrapped the Himalayan? The R15S is a swell machine, do share your thoughts on it compared to the Gen 1 R15's.

Cheers,
A.P.

Indeed, it's completely on for a temporary basis especially for washing and cleaning the chain and what not. Once the cleaning process is done, it will be promptly removed. It won't be permanently fixed on the bike. It definitely hinders the cornering ability of the bike and grazes on those tall humps, definitely not recommended to keep it on the bike. There isn't You can use it for cleaning and then remove it once done, which is how I am using it. There isn't a provision for the spring holder, Ashwin, though there is another smaller ear below the bigger earhole to the left where the shaft slides in.

Bought it a couple of months back. The Himalayan stays, Ash, see the puny front wheel, right, to the 3/4th image, that's the little Himma.

It's a little nasty tool indeed. Sweet motor and clean handling, though it got some time getting used to the position, especially placement of legs. Surprisingly, there were no aches anywhere, I think I've gotten young all of a sudden, and that makes a difference me thinks.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 24th February 2019 at 23:18.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 02:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice. I have been using a similar setup on my R15 since almost an year for chain cleaning and other maintenance work. I've got the RX100 stand which costs around Rs. 270. With the RX100 stand, the rear end is raised enough to rotate the tyre freely. By the way, this is a very common fix for R15 users. Some people even have it permanently attached to the bike. Thanks for sharing.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 14:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Nice. I have been using a similar setup on my R15 since almost an year for chain cleaning and other maintenance work. I've got the RX100 stand which costs around Rs. 270. With the RX100 stand, the rear end is raised enough to rotate the tyre freely. By the way, this is a very common fix for R15 users. Some people even have it permanently attached to the bike. Thanks for sharing.
True that SD. This stand raises it even higher, and gone are the tedious hunkering to clean the underside of the motorcycle. The primary reason for this tall setup is basically to clean the shockers, and the under aft of the motorcycle, plus unlike the RX 100 stand, this stand doesn't go back all the way when engaged which was another plus.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 25th February 2019, 19:20   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
this is a very common fix for R15 users. Some people even have it permanently attached to the bike. Thanks for sharing.
Would you be able to share details of the motorcycles on which permanent fix was used, I'm still not sure how the spring would be mounted.

Pictures would be nice.

Thanks,
A.P.
Old 25th February 2019, 19:44   #7
BHPian

Nice improvisation VJ.

Just want to point out a slight hazard though - Considering the way the rear wheel is raised off the ground, the motorcycle may roll off the stand with a slight nudge from behind. So a wheel chock to the front wheel or a locking mechanism to the stand would be a safety feature, especially if you have little children running around. An easy alternative is to tie a bungee cord connecting the front wheel and the center stand.

ride safe

Arun
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 23:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Would you be able to share details of the motorcycles on which permanent fix was used, I'm still not sure how the spring would be mounted.
Hi, I have personally seen 3 or 4 R15 v2 models with fixed main stand at Yamaha service centre. One of the bike's owner told me that he's using the main stand specifically available for R15 (costs around Rs. 1000 for entire job) which has a spring mounting point on LHS. He also told that Yamaha SZ main stand is a direct fit but service centre folks won't let you buy that as it costs less than half the price of R15-specific stand.

On the bike, the spring can be mounted on the left side but mounting point for spring on the RX100 stand is on the RHS. Thus it can be used temporarily only i.e. without spring. For a permanent fix, you'll have to get a stand in which spring is mounted from the LHS.

Pictures I'll try at my next visit to the service centre.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 07:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good hack. I know that the Indonesian market sells r15 with a center stand and a guy provided the kit for 700Rs in Delhi.
desideep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 17:00   #10
BHPian

I saw similar hack technique is being followed in all Yamaha service centres. In my opinion, Center stand inevitable for any motorcycle, any time unless it’s a super bike/track bike.
I did purchase the main stand (made in Indonesia) and shaft from Authorised Yamaha service centre itself for my V3, costed me about 850.
BTW Thanks, vijayanand1 for the post
Attached Thumbnails
R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-b093978ee6ac44509ab584cc08a393e3.jpeg  

R15 Center Stand (improvised hack) - A cheap mod instead of a paddock stand-117b5b06f8714b15bd1588fd590bb047.jpeg  

safe_rider is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks