Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2019, 11:31   #1
BANNED

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!

Salvage: 'retrieve or preserve (something) from potential loss or adverse circumstances.'

Salvage builds have been around for a long time in the west and if you scour international forums there are quite a few builds that not only turn a few heads but also some that can knock your pants off when you crack open the throttle, which is also referred to as 'Sleeper Builds' among enthusiasts.

We in India are masters of makeshift'ing and shoehorning and have come across many such builds in the 'Pics of weird and wacky mod jobs!' thread.

So why create a new thread, you may ask?

Well once in a while you come across passionate people who're all about the motorcycling culture, who painstakingly build their own motorcycles from salvaged parts piece by piece and I feel that it would be a shame for their work to go unnoticed, especially because I get the feeling that big brands and their advertising have been trying to warp the essence of motorcycling for their benefit.

So here goes.

The Body:

The Chassis has been borrowed from a Bajaj Pulsar UG3 variant, has been modified to accommodate the 220cc motor's oil cooler and front end of the Yamaha FZ16 including other bits.

The rear set sub-frame is of the Bajaj Pulsar UG4 variant.

The entire front end has been adopted from a Yamaha FZ16, including its front brake, speedometer and handle-bar.

Both the alloys are also from the Yamaha FZ16.

The headlight unit is from the Bajaj Boxer series.

The rear grab rail is a modified version of the one found on the Yamaha YBR 110.

The front fender is from Royal Enfield.

The Electronics:

The harness and components are of the Bajaj Pulsar 220, which has undergone a BCU delete.

The switch-sets are from the Bajaj Pulsar 150 Classic.

Other than the ones present in the meter console LED's have not been used in this build.

The headlight is powered by a 60/55 H4 Car bulb.

The Engine:

The motor was lifted off a Bajaj Pulsar 220 and runs off a BS32 Carburetor as designed.

The Performance:

The motorcycle weighs a good 30+ kg's lighter than a stock Bajaj Pulsar 220 and the handling is leagues ahead. Can scare you silly when you crack open the throttle not because its all that powerful but because you would not see that much torque coming.

And that's as far as the details go, here are some before and after pictures of the build;

Before:

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!-img20190219wa0018.jpg

After:

First Iteration:

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!-img20190219wa0017.jpg

Current Iteration:

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!-img20190222wa0013.jpg

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!-img20190222wa0012.jpg

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!-img20190222wa0011.jpg

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!-img20190222wa0014.jpg

This is a build I've witnessed grow from a scrap yard pickup to what it is now and for the uninitiated, what makes this build unlike some 'custom' builds seen on YouTube is that this motorcycle not only looks different but also does run a crazy lot better than a stock motorcycle picked off the shelves.

So if you have any such builds in your garage, do share the details.

Also we're welcome to any recommendations/suggestions you'd have that would improve the performance/handling of our current machine.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 25th February 2019 at 11:42.
ashwinprakas is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 16:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!

Congrats Ashwin.

I always wanted to build a custom bike and car, but those plans never reached the board leave apart the physical build. I'm more interested to hear the failure story (or the challenges to be specific) than the success story, do you mind sharing?
Like,
- Ignition & locks (how did you manage to accommodate locks from different vehicles with single key or 2 different keys for ignition & fuel tank)
- Rear brake lamp switch (UG4 onwards do not come with conventional brake lamp switch and the latest ones can be used only with LED lamps (without modification))
- Modifications in frame, front & rear end, etc
- Any change in overall transmission ratio?
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 16:27   #3
BHPian

Great Build. It looks quite cool. You are quite a character and I really admire your spirit.

How do you obtain fitness certificate for such vehicles?
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 19:16   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Congrats Ashwin.
Not my build Sirji, as mentioned I was just a witness, would convey regards to my friend and fellow enthusiast who built the motorcycle.

Quote:
I always wanted to build a custom bike and car, but those plans never reached the board leave apart the physical build. I'm more interested to hear the failure story (or the challenges to be specific) than the success story, do you mind sharing?
Like,
Rather than custom it would be best to keep things near stock aesthetically, same in the case with several other builds done by enthusiasts in my circle.

Reason being due registration renewal concerns.

This build was more or less a direct fit with the exception of some parts that had to be machined at the lathe and other electrical that had to be altered by an electrician, and a good one at it, as the BCU delete mod for the P220 is a highly sought after mod and I'm yet to see anyone else perform it by working on the stock wiring harness.

Quote:
- Ignition & locks (how did you manage to accommodate locks from different vehicles with single key or 2 different keys for ignition & fuel tank)
The ignition unit is of the Pulsar 150 i.e the donor motorcycle, the wire had to be cut to be used with the Pulsar 220's harness, would be converted to connectors once the motorcycle is taken to the electrician.

Quote:
- Rear brake lamp switch (UG4 onwards do not come with conventional brake lamp switch and the latest ones can be used only with LED lamps (without modification))
Indeed, there is an issue with the rear brake switch which needs to be sorted as the P220's harness designed to run LED's has 3 wires whereas the conventional bulb setup only requires two, it would be taken to the same electrician who performed the BCU delete as the quality of work is commendable.

Quote:
- Modifications in frame, front & rear end, etc
Machining was required, as for the T stem, center had to be re-threaded.

The swing-arm is of the UG4 Pulsar 180.

Quote:
- Any change in overall transmission ratio?
Gearbox is of the P220's the final drive is currently at 14:40 i.e the FZ's chain and sprocket kit, the chain was a bit long hence a couple of links had to chopped off.

With this setup the motorcycle clocks 130kmph @ 10,000 RPM in final drive. The stock sprockets of the P220 are 14:36/37.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Great Build. It looks quite cool. You are quite a character and I really admire your spirit.
The build is great indeed but I'm only a witness in this build, this was done by a close friend and enthusiast in his backyard.

Quote:
How do you obtain fitness certificate for such vehicles?
The papers remain the same, the engine number is punched on to the new crank case.

Reason for sticking to OEM paint scheme is so that renewing registration(valid till 2021) would not be an issue as only a color change needs to be registered.
ashwinprakas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 22:09   #5
BHPian

Re: Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!

If Bajaj is going to launch this as P220, call it base variant or something, I will be one to go and get one. This looks with the very taste that I wanted my commuter or my daily ride or my travel buddy to look like. Thanks for sharing. Hope this variant gets trending and reaches Bajaj
Balaji31582 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 07:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is a really good Build. Nothing looks out of place apart from the front Mud Guard. I would recommend getting it changed to the original Specification either from Pulsar or the FZ. It would be dependent on the mounting.

In my experience Pulsar 150 and 180 rode very differently to the 220. I am not sure if there was much of a difference between the Chassis and Suspension.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 14:35   #7
BANNED

Hey guys, just an update.

My buddy has recently completed an interesting build and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

This is a special one if you've been riding for over a decade now.

Presenting the CBZ Classic;

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!-picsart_071702.17.38.jpg

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!-img20210717wa0034.jpg

For the uninitiated this might seen like a resto job of a Classic CBZ but if you look close you'd spot a ZMA Exhaust, but that's not all.

This motorcycle actually sports a 223cc ZMA engine while retaining the stock CBZ side covers, making it a very stealthy sleeper.

Similar to his other builds the fit and finish is factory with the only exception being his fascination for Single RVM's which is playing a real number on my OCD.

Also in his garage you'd see a familiar face;

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!-img20210715wa0081.jpg

Yup! That's my infamous CT100!

She's been with him post the upgrades, she now runs on a P150 front end. The front RIM is the 1.85 compared to the previous 1.60 and the rear RIM is. 2.15 from the Impulse compared to the stock 1.85.

That's all for now folks, sorry for keeping things concise as time is of the essence.

If at you'd have any queries about the build do let me know and I'll share specifics.

What cames to mind at the moment is that the Alloys, Swingarm, Engine etc are from the ZMA and the rest from the CBZ Classic.

Like the previous 220cc P150, this was also built from the ground up from salvaging a scrapped motorcycle.

The rebuild, fabrication and painting was done by himself as a DIY project.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks