Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2019, 13:51   #1
BHPian

Adding variable valve tech to my Yamaha R15 v1?

Dear enthusiasts,

I rode the Yamaha R15 version 3 recently and I felt that there is a huge gain in the acceleration and one of the reasons is the the new Variable Valve technology that is added to it.

Is it possible to use the variable valve on the R15 version 1 engine? If yes, how?
Old 23rd March 2019, 19:16   #2
BHPian

re: Adding variable valve tech to my Yamaha R15 v1?

Well, it’s certainly not a bolt on if you are thinking in those terms. With the bore being 1mm bigger (5cc extra) than V1 & V2 the head assembly is not a direct bolt on. The variable cam assembly will not fit in the V1/V2 head. Also the ECU will be different as the ignition maps will be different from V1/V2.
PratikPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 09:53   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Adding variable valve tech to my Yamaha R15 v1?

As Pratik said, it's not really possible / simple / practical. But I have two thoughts to add. Frequently, in bikes & cars, a new engine might come out that existing owners crave for. If one really wants it:

- Do a lateral upgrade. Wait for the model with the new engine to hit the used market, sell yours and buy that. Because you're buying used, the upgrade won't be that expensive. Related thread (ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)).

- Once the new model has been around for a while, you'll easily find its engine & ECU in the parts market (from total loss vehicles). Do a swap from a good shop (although I'd strongly urge a lateral upgrade as factory fit is factory fit).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:17   #4
BHPian

Re: Adding variable valve tech to my Yamaha R15 v1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
Well, it’s certainly not a bolt on if you are thinking in those terms. With the bore being 1mm bigger (5cc extra) than V1 & V2 the head assembly is not a direct bolt on. The variable cam assembly will not fit in the V1/V2 head. Also the ECU will be different as the ignition maps will be different from V1/V2.
Should wait for a total loss vehicle, so that we can swap the entire assembly. That's the easiest way to go about it I guess..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks